PDA

View Full Version : series transfer case removal

rovers088
03-15-2011, 07:40 PM
hi guys,
im trying to seperate my transfer case from my tranny. I have all the bolts removed from the rear of the tranny and i cannot get the pair to seperate. I am wondering if i am missing something or if there is some trick to make the two seperate. It looks like the previous owner put some type of gasket material in between the tranny and t-case but i doubt that is all that is holding them together.
thanks for they help
mike

KevinNY
03-15-2011, 07:43 PM
There are more nuts on the inside, you have to remove the transfer case floorplate and the intermediate gear to get to them.

Alk-3
03-16-2011, 03:47 PM
I just did this over the weekend. Kevin is right, there are three bolts inside the transfer case that you can only reach by removing the mainshaft, and gears. it's an easy job though, assuming your mainshaft isn't corroded into place.

Winston-Rover
03-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm trying to do the same thing. is there a trick to removing the mainshaft and gears? I guess my minshaft is corroded in place.:confused:

Alk-3
03-16-2011, 09:09 PM
heres a link to the thread i started few days ago regarding its removal. http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11356
in the end mine slid out no problem, in fact, I could almost just use my fingers to slide it out.
I'd try the pry bar method, and hope the tabs don't break off. Also, if its not too difficult, try heating it up as suggested in one of the posts.

Winston-Rover
03-16-2011, 11:35 PM
heres a link to the thread i started few days ago regarding its removal. http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11356
in the end mine slid out no problem, in fact, I could almost just use my fingers to slide it out.
I'd try the pry bar method, and hope the tabs don't break off. Also, if its not too difficult, try heating it up as suggested in one of the posts.

thanks. I'll take a look there.

rovers088
03-20-2011, 07:15 PM
thanks guys for the quick reply. im going to take a look at it tomorrow. hopefully. will i have to remove my over drive too????? thanks again
mike