PDA

View Full Version : The 2.5 NA conversion begins.

fred98050
03-16-2011, 11:30 PM
At last..... I had some time off lately and was able to start working on my 2.5 NA I got a few months ago.

First had to build a stand for it. Took me sometimes but I am happy with the result.

Then I had to find some fuel fittings to pumps, fuel filter housing, banjo bolts, fuel lines etc...( thanks again SafeAirone). Ended up using the fittings of a Mercedes 617 engine. The original parts have been ordered and should be here soon.

Took the starter out, tested OK.

Filled up with 15w40

Removed the injectors to put some marvel oil in cylinders

Struggle with a poor cranking problem, turn out that my Gnd wire was not big enough.

Installed a switch for the fuel cut off solenoid

Injector back on

and cranked the engine....

Some smoke coming out of exhaust (from marvel oil)....

All in all a great day.

Tomorrow I will try to start the engine for good.

Some pics and video here

http://gallery.me.com/flangenard#100941

SafeAirOne
03-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Didn't notice on the original photo of the engine that yours has the different type of crank case ventilation system, with the oil-air separator and lines to the intake manifold and oil sump.

Looks like, your engine came from a FFR vehicle. Did your engine come with the massive alternator that used the bracket or was it already gone?

SalemRover
03-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Any thoughts on what you are going to do with engine fan? I ended up going electric. Its looking good so far, I found that I did getter better performance out of my glowplugs with a wire harness that ran the lines in parallel and not in series.

-Jason

SafeAirOne
03-17-2011, 05:45 PM
I found that I did getter better performance out of my glowplugs with a wire harness that ran the lines in parallel and not in series.

-Jason

Unlike the 2.25, they're always in parallel on the 2.5, though new wires couldn't hurt. Improved glow plugs make a huge difference, I've found.

fred98050
03-18-2011, 01:09 AM
Took me some time to bleed the system but here it is:

rt8BAv7WT84

When warm, it seems that the engine hesitate at idle. I do have a few leaky fittings and will try to fix that tomorrow. Here is a video showing the problem:

1GyeQRGChSA

Some more here:

http://gallery.me.com/flangenard#100941

fred98050
03-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Didn't notice on the original photo of the engine that yours has the different type of crank case ventilation system, with the oil-air separator and lines to the intake manifold and oil sump.

Looks like, your engine came from a FFR vehicle. Did your engine come with the massive alternator that used the bracket or was it already gone?

The engine came with the generator showing on the last videos. Looks like normal size but does not have any markings (???) No Brand name, no Amps rating, nothing at all. Odd....

I am not sure if the engine came from a FFR.

Cheers,

Frederic

SafeAirOne
03-18-2011, 06:35 AM
The engine came with the generator showing on the last videos. Looks like normal size but does not have any markings (???) No Brand name, no Amps rating, nothing at all. Odd....

I am not sure if the engine came from a FFR.

Nice job! It seems to start pretty quickly without glow plugs, so it should touch right off with 10 seconds of glow plugging prior to cranking.

About the military FFR alternator...I meant the mounting bracket that was mounted on the timing case above the injector pump. It looks like it has been removed in the video but it was there on the earlier still photos depicting the fuel ports if my eyes weren't deceiving me...

fred98050
03-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Nice job! It seems to start pretty quickly without glow plugs, so it should touch right off with 10 seconds of glow plugging prior to cranking.

About the military FFR alternator...I meant the mounting bracket that was mounted on the timing case above the injector pump. It looks like it has been removed in the video but it was there on the earlier still photos depicting the fuel ports if my eyes weren't deceiving me...

You are right. I did know what it was . Now I know. Thanks

fred98050
03-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Today, worked on the leaky fuel stuff and it runs much much better....

Next week, valves adjustment and timing belt replacement.

Running after fixing fuel leaks:

nFzgIVeVre8

SalemRover
03-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Sounds good!

LaneRover
03-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Today, worked on the leaky fuel stuff and it runs much much better....

Next week, valves adjustment and timing belt replacement.

Running after fixing fuel leaks:

nFzgIVeVre8

You need a bigger propellor if you want that thing to take off!:D

Sounds great!

fred98050
03-19-2011, 02:15 PM
You need a bigger propellor if you want that thing to take off!:D

Sounds great!

I know, this thing is huge...;)