PDA

View Full Version : Series IIA Lightweight Value

roverjohn
03-16-2011, 11:42 PM
I have owned a few Series 88's and a 109 but I have never owned a lightweight. Does the lightweight have much value? Are they more desirable than a regular 88"?

I have come across one for a reasonable price and it seems to be clean. I have only seen 2 in person and I thought they were neat.

If I decided to modify it with larger tires, suspension, etc, would this harm the historical value of the vehicle? Are these rare enough to just leave it stock?

Thanks in advance.

leafsprung
03-17-2011, 12:00 AM
In general being a lightweight doesnt add any value. Modifying anything typically harms the historical value. For most lightweights that means a history of sitting in a motor pool or depot somewhere . . .

jac04
03-17-2011, 07:38 AM
IMBO (where B = biased), I think that the Lightweights are more valuable than a civvy model due to their low production numbers and rarity, especially in the States. However, most Rover people just look at it as another Rover. If you are actually going to use it, it may actually be less valuable to you because it can be difficult and/or expensive to get original parts for it (things like body panels, weatherstripping, lights). Modifying it is purely up to you. I say leave it fairly stock, but it's not like we're talking about something like an original 69 COPO ZL-1 Camaro.;)

yorker
03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
If I decided to modify it with larger tires, suspension, etc, would this harm the historical value of the vehicle? Are these rare enough to just leave it stock?

Thanks in advance.

Modifying any historical vehicle can hurt its value as a historical vehicle but might increase its utility to you- As long as you don't go gonzo with permanant changes though it isn't going to hurt that much. Lightweights are pretty common and their military history is what makes them more interesting than your average 88". Anything you do to detract from that military history will hurt its value to Mil Veh enthusiasts but most other LR owners probably won't care one bit.

jac04
03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Lightweights are pretty common ....
Remember, he is talking about a IIA Lightweight. There were only around 2000 (two thousand) made.

JimCT
03-17-2011, 08:05 PM
If you are looking for a investment opportunity look elsewhere. Use the truck, make it yours, modify it , cut it up and make it better.

Most of all use it.
Could never fathon LR trailer queens.

roverjohn
03-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I might pursue it a little more.

One more question: The seller advertises it as a 1968 IIA lightweight, however the headlamps are on the wings. This would signify that it is a later model, right? Or someone changed them?

jac04
03-18-2011, 06:55 AM
IIRC, some IIAs got the headlights in the wings. If it's a IIA, the fuel changeover valve should be on the bulkhead and it should have the flat plate type windscreen hinges. The SIII valve is on the seat box and it uses civvy SIII type windscreen hinges.

leafsprung
03-18-2011, 07:15 AM
If its the one in MT then the front sheet metal has supposedly been changed already...

roverjohn
03-18-2011, 09:19 AM
If its the one in MT then the front sheet metal has supposedly been changed already...
That's the one.

leafsprung: any thoughts on that specific Rover? Average price? Thanks.

yorker
03-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Remember, he is talking about a IIA Lightweight. There were only around 2000 (two thousand) made.
They still show up with regularity though. I've never seen someone get really excited about a IIa Ltwt vs a Series III. It isn't like they are going for NAS 110 prices or anything.

KingSlug
03-18-2011, 03:09 PM
There were only 2000 MOD ambulances, does that make them more vaulable?

Jared

Gilberto
03-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Hi to all of you.

Lightweights! Lightweights!

They are so ugly that they look beautiful.

My Gwen is a 1969 RHD, if I can keep her as healthy as she is now, she will outlive me, I will be 52 next Wednesday. I got her from Ike Goss, cheers Ike.
I hate short drives, I want to drive her all day long!

As JimCT said: use it.
How many smiles and thumbs up per mile will you get? That is, to me, part of the pleasure of ownership of these vehicles.

jac04 is right, they fetch more dollars, just take a look a e-bay in the UK. You will also find parts there.
See this: http://lightweightlandroverclub.org/phpbb/

Sure, some parts are more expensive, and hard to get, but still feasible. Try this: http://www.lrseries.com/, my apologies to our hosts.

How permanent are the mods that you have in mind?

According to Mark J. Cook’s “The half ton military Land Rover”

Page 69:
He says: “The only real change during production involved moving the headlights from the grill panel to the wings. This seems to have occurred in late 1970…This meant that about 1500 models had this arrangement. Only 1489 would be built before production switch to the Series 3”

Page 177:
Series IIA chassis numbers were:
RHD 23600001 to 23601893
LHD 23900001 to 23901096

Buy it! Fall in love with it! Leave it to your children!

Cheers,

Gilberto

leafsprung
03-20-2011, 12:52 AM
I have to say I think gilbertos is awesome. This particular one you are looking at in MT is ok. It has some corrosion in the frame horns I think that alone warrants a close inspection before purchase. It is missing some items which my be hard to get.

Duckman
03-20-2011, 09:42 AM
I love my Series III Lightweight. As a history buff I was drawn to it for that reason. I also enjoy having something that is a little diferent - not that a running driving Series III isn't different enough. :D

Mine is a left hand drive non-diesel that did it's time in Germany with British Nato troops.

Duckman