PDA

View Full Version : location of the pie plate

sailtech
03-17-2011, 09:36 AM
I've got a freshly galvanized pie plate that I'll be installing on my 1969 Series IIa razor-edge bonnet. I can pretty much figure out the location from looking at the photos and comparing the rivet locations, but before I drill holes in the bonnet, I was hoping someone would please provide the measurements to the edge of the pie plate, side to side, and front to back.

Also, I've seen photos where the straight-edge section of the plate was toward the front, and others where it's towards the windscreen. Which is correct? In other words, facing the vehicle from the front, is the lock pin on the left, or right side?

And finally, I would also like to verify the locations for the round rubber buffers.

Thanks,

Stuart

TedW
03-17-2011, 10:12 AM
IIRC my pie plate has the straight edge in the front; the rivets on that edge line up with the frame underneath the skin. Lock pin on left. I'll take a photo when I get home.

Regarding the buffers: they are evenly spaced in a square: two on the right, two on the left, in an even radius from the center of the pie plate. Measure the radius of the tire you expect to mount (to the bulge in the sidewall - the part of the tire that will sit on the buffers) and use that measurement to drill the holes for the buffers.

TedW
03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
IIRC my pie plate has the straight edge in the front; the rivets on that edge line up with the frame underneath the skin. Lock pin on left. I'll take a photo when I get home.

Regarding the buffers: they are evenly spaced in a square: two on the right, two on the left, in an even radius from the center of the pie plate. Measure the radius of the tire you expect to mount (to the bulge in the sidewall - the part of the tire that will sit on the buffers) and use that measurement to drill the holes for the buffers.

Here's a photo of how the rivets for the pie plate line up under the bonnet. The two rivets with washers on the left are at the front of the pie plate.

The plate was on my truck when I bought it, so I don't know if it's factory, dealer or PO installed. That said, the location makes perfect sense. IMO.

sailtech
03-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks, that makes sense.

John O from Jersey
03-17-2011, 02:46 PM
If you can wait until tonight, I believe I have the direction sheet that came with my NIB pie plate set-up years ago. I can scan it and send it to you. It had all sorts of dimensions on it. Including how to space the buffers (though I eyeballed that part).

John O

TedW
03-17-2011, 02:53 PM
If you can wait until tonight, I believe I have the direction sheet that came with my NIB pie plate set-up years ago. I can scan it and send it to you. It had all sorts of dimensions on it. Including how to space the buffers (though I eyeballed that part).

John O

John:

Send me a copy too, please. I'll PM you.

Ted

sailtech
03-17-2011, 03:26 PM

John O
That would be great, thanks.

Terrys
03-17-2011, 04:14 PM
The flat edge faces fwd(lock pin to the right side, threaded holes are centered and go for and aft), and is 12.75" from the front edge of the standard bonnet.
I just measured my S3, and My S2A, they are the same.

John O from Jersey
03-17-2011, 08:55 PM
X2 what Terry said. I get 12 7/8" from the leading edge of my standard bonnet to the FLAT edge (which does face forward). I"m looking for the installation directions sheet and when I find it, I'll post a PDF. The key is, when you measure the locations, you want the rivets (most of them anyway) to go through the flat portions of the steel frame. That should make it obvious where it goes. I think the directions said 12 3/4 from the front but I shifted mine 1/8" back to compensate for nuances in the frame. One of my rivet holes wound up in side the u-channel so that one wound up being a blind pop rivet but if you're careful, I think they'll all go through the flat part of the steel frame and can be solid-riveted.

Here's a pic of mine. Like I said, I'll post the instructions as soon as I find them in the mess that is my basement.

John O