PDA

View Full Version : How much UHMW?

albersj51
03-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Im tearing apart each leaf spring so I can rehab them (originals). While ive heard mixed reviews on using UHMW-PE tape, I'm going to move forward with adding it to my springs.

The question is, how much of it will I need? McMaster-Carr has an 18yrd/54 ft roll. These are stock springs. Is one roll enough, or will I need 2? Given the price of the stuff I dont want to buy more than I need.

Thanks!

Jason

siii8873
03-18-2011, 11:04 AM
use a tape measure to determie this. Measure the length of the springs.

alaskajosh
03-18-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure how thick you're intending to use but I'd suggest erring to the thicker options. I worked exhaustively and meticulously cleaning up my springs and applying the UHMW tape of the thickness spec'd on a popular website and it lasted about a week. I could post pictures of the sad shreds that remain hanging from between the leaves. It didn't unstick, it just wore through and flaked out.
They ride nicely to this day but I credit that to the job I did cleaning them up and also because I've since kept them oily.

Good luck

mongoswede
03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I pulled apart my springs, removed all the rust and scale, and then painted each leaf with Black POR-15. The POR is very flexible and durable and slippery. I reassembled and remounted the packs and they move! I was going to put a strip of high pressure assembly lube down the center of each leaf prior to assembly but I didnt have it handy and was eager to put things back together.

meatblanket
03-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Here's a suggestion if you want to do this the "right" way.

Alcan Spring in Grand Junction CO uses Delrin pads and "diamond cut" leaves.

If you could get some of those pads, you'd be set. Of course, that means you'd have to drill holes in your springs to install them, which is easier said than done.

Take a look here:
http://www.alcanspring.com/making.htm

FWIW I have a set of Alcans on my Jeep, and they work VERY well.

alaskajosh
03-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Here's a suggestion if you want to do this the "right" way.

Alcan Spring in Grand Junction CO...

Those look sweet!
I've always wondered why there aren't more/better options for Series LRs. For example OME had a good thing going with some of their leaf spring offerings but never targeted the leafsprung LRs.
Why doesn't someone have something like these available, off the shelf, for LRs??

yorker
03-18-2011, 02:49 PM
I think the market simply isn't big enough. It is already saturated with parabolic springs for those who don't like the standard springs. Alcan will make LR springs to order to your specs for you if you want. I don't know anyone who has taken them up on it though.

albersj51
03-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Whats going on, mike?

I called them and asked...they can send the disks but said drilling the spring is nearly impossible without the right tools.

The product sounds great! Said they can make them for my rover based on factory specs. The price if high, but not much higher than parabolics...somewhere near $900-$1000; not including shipping. If I were looking for paras, I would seriously reconsider and look at their product.

Mike-you mentioned The "right" way... And josh's didn't last long...got another option? I'm open to other ideas...but based on my reading, the best way is with UHMW.

ducttape
03-19-2011, 04:57 PM
If I recall my sales pitch from the mill, UHMW is a non-friction surfaced film that is typically used in non heat applications. However, it does not provide much abrasion resistance. It is used to line assembly line shuts, etc, which stuff just needs to slide downhill.

Teflon is also made reinforced with fiberglass and the typical application is the other end of heat seal bars, etc.

I would think the flexing of the springs would wear through the UHMW non reinforced film fairly quickly, leaving you with not much more than the bill you paid for it.

alaskajosh
03-19-2011, 06:16 PM
..it does not provide much abrasion resistance.

I would think the flexing of the springs would wear through the UHMW non reinforced film fairly quickly, leaving you with not much more than the bill you paid for it.

Exactly.

I can't speak to the heat end of things but I can see the abrasion problem clearly. In my case I live on a gravel road with puddles and by the time some water-borne grit splashed over the leaves the UHMW wore through QUICKLY and the remaining scraps started falling out here and there.. shredded and embedded with grit.

I harp on this issue every chance I get only because as long as this idea circulates I hope to save others the intense labor and trouble.

albersj51
03-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Is there another, better option? 2 rolls is over $100...so, if I can save that im happy to do so! I've read about graphite paint...any feedback? Or, am I trying to achieve something that I can't? I've got the packs open and painted in masterseries (like POR-15), so the labor is done so I can clean and paint them.

TeriAnn
03-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Exactly.

I can't speak to the heat end of things but I can see the abrasion problem clearly. In my case I live on a gravel road with puddles and by the time some water-borne grit splashed over the leaves the UHMW wore through QUICKLY and the remaining scraps started falling out here and there.. shredded and embedded with grit.

And you know the funny thing is that I've had sheets of UHMV between my leaf springs since 1997 an the stuff i still there doing its thing. It has been through a lot of different trails during those years.

Mine is from a roll of the material given to me by a friend and not tape so does not have adhesive on one side. The ends have slid a little to the sides at the ends of the leafs and are a little brittle but otherwise 14 years later they are there doing their thing.

Looking at the web page I'm pretty sure I either made a typo with the thickness or in measuring. I'm pretty sure mine are a lot thicker than stated on the web page.

I need to go back and remeasure. It probably would not hurt to go back to the person who gave me the roll to see if he can remember where he got it.

I apologize for the thickness goof. :(

LaneRover
03-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Even Nasa gets Measurements wrong some times!

meatblanket
03-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Whats going on, mike?

I called them and asked...they can send the disks but said drilling the spring is nearly impossible without the right tools.

The product sounds great! Said they can make them for my rover based on factory specs. The price if high, but not much higher than parabolics...somewhere near $900-$1000; not including shipping. If I were looking for paras, I would seriously reconsider and look at their product.

Mike-you mentioned The "right" way... And josh's didn't last long...got another option? I'm open to other ideas...but based on my reading, the best way is with UHMW.

Jason, I've no other ideas for you-- sounds like TeriAnn's held up well, so you might give it a shot.

My SI came with a set of RM parabolics on it already, and the front is sagging a bit. Someday they'll get replaced with a set of Alcans. The front end of a Series LR is pretty handicapped already by the short spring, you really need all the flex you can get out of them.

albersj51
03-20-2011, 10:46 AM
I found delrin spring liners, but they only got to 2 1/4, the rovers are 2 1/2.

alaskajosh
03-20-2011, 12:37 PM
I found delrin spring liners, but they only got to 2 1/4, the rovers are 2 1/2.

I'd say those would be worth a shot! It's only an 1/8" shy on either side. How's the cost?

albersj51
03-20-2011, 12:52 PM
The problem is they have a lip on the end to wrap around the spring to keep it in place, so you need that extra 1/8" to get the wrap, otherwise its too thick. The cost was around $16/20 ft @ speedway motors (much more attractive than $55/54 ft at mcmaster for the thin uhmw tape). My understanding is the delrin strips are slick like uhmw, but nearly bullet proof against abrasion.

Terri-no worries! The part# for mcmaster on your site is for the very thin adhesive tape. If I can find some delrin strips that work, I'll get you the info in case you want to post it on your site.

Anyone have a place, online or not, that deals with springs/spring liners specifically? I cant find a spring shop here in Greenville, SC...if so, post their number/site here or PM me and ill do the leg work/testing.

LH Drive
03-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Whats going on, mike?

This is a rebuild I've been putting off and would like to find out how it works for you.
Did they give you a price on the delrin anti-friction pads? I'd also like to go the POR15 with Delrin pad route.
I just need to buy a nice drill bit that can eat through the leaf spring steel.

alaskajosh
03-20-2011, 08:43 PM
I looked up the delrin liner you were talking about on speedway motors and think it looks like a really good option!! If Terri-ann is reporting that her plastic doesn't need adhesive (or a lip) to keep it more or less located why don't you get this stuff and just trim that lip off? With a razor knife or run carefully through a table saw or something? Try it and let us know how it works.. I wish I'd have tried this stuff!

albersj51
03-20-2011, 09:25 PM
josh, you're so willing to spend my money; much like my girlfriend :)

Seriously though, it may be worth a shot, but I want to try and find 2.5" with a lip first

albersj51
03-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Did some searching today and called a few spring shops as well as speedway, but no dice on the liner with the lip. I'm going to measure my springs tonight and may order the flat liner from speedway. A review will be a while off since the old girl is in a million pieces.

yorker
03-24-2011, 11:02 AM
http://books.google.com/books?id=X95PU39mzSMC&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=bronze+spring+pads+leaf+spring&source=bl&ots=CGM_7kKqVA&sig=55jah59eYuiWi1Ill_SG_KkaNQM&hl=en&ei=wmmLTfaVL6Hi0gHn1ISQDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=bronze%20spring%20pads%20leaf%20spring&f=false

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/catalog/Leaf_Spring_Tip_Inserts-198-1.html

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=224332

http://www.eatonsprings.com/springtech101.pdf

albersj51
03-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Good stuff! Thanks yorker. My concern with the tips is the need to drill into the spring, which as I understand it, is a huge pain!

bkreutz
03-24-2011, 03:00 PM
A good cobalt bit will work. (note I said good, this excludes the Harbor Freight cobalt coated bits:D)

yorker
03-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah they can be fun to drill. I don't think you really have to drill all the leaves though. Check out a few modern 1/2 ton trucks in your local parking lot to get some ideas.

albersj51
03-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I called the guy at the link you sent and he said you only need the tabs/liner on the longest 3 or 4 springs, since that's where most of the movement and friction is.