PDA

View Full Version : Machine Shops

JackIIA
03-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Do folks have recommendations for machine shops in Mass? I'm thinking full service type outfits able to do a full rebuild if needbe and familiar with the 2.25 to keep labor time down.

jac04
03-18-2011, 12:57 PM
You could check with JE Robison. He is supposed to be very familiar with Land Rovers:
http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/rover_dept.asp

JackIIA
03-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Never thought of that. He used to do those RN articles. Yes, good idea.

junkyddog11
03-19-2011, 06:31 AM
If John can't point you somewhere local give me a shout.
It's hard to find a full service machine shop to that extent. I work with one of the last machine shops in this area that will grind crankshafts. All other machine work required is pretty basic. All other work, assembly etc I do in house at my shop.

SalemRover
03-19-2011, 08:22 AM
I have had several small jobs done by these folks and they were very reasonable. The guy that runs the place rebuilt mercedes diesel engines for a 20 years or so. Every time I showed up there was always a few beautiful classic roadsters in for service which was a good sign to me. If you do talk to them make sure you let them know straight away that the engine is not a rover V8. The guy rebuilt one rover v8 there and bought all the parts through the local dealership, so you can only imagine what the cost was.

http://www.newenglandengineandmachine.com/

JackIIA
03-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Salem - I will check it out, thanks. Called Robinson's per Jeff's suggestion. Very helpful guys, basically said come in anytime, and yes, they are full service machine shop. Seems a bit rare these days. Matt, thanks. I wouldn't rule out bringing the work up to you in Maine depending on your workload. This need isn't imminent.

Afew shops I've talked to have given rough quotes of $3K for head to pan rebuild as an average, not a max. Way out of my expectations. In fairness to them, this is after a 10 min. call without any chance to spec the engine or what I'll be doing relative to what I need from them. Just more than I expected and would be willing to pay unless I really was going to keep my hands clean ;).

I'll do more homework and ping back with questions. Thanks.

yorker
03-20-2011, 06:32 PM
What is wrong with the engine you have right now?

junkyddog11
03-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Very helpful guys, basically said come in anytime, and yes, they are full service machine shop. Seems a bit rare these days. .
I've been there many times picking up vehicles and never seen a machine shop? Must have missed something I guess.

JackIIA
03-20-2011, 09:03 PM
I've been there many times picking up vehicles and never seen a machine shop? Must have missed something I guess.

! no idea. just what the guy on the phone said. i guess i'll find out if i drop by sometime!

yorker - no idea yet. the engine is sight unseen. i'm just assuming.

junkyddog11
03-21-2011, 06:14 AM
! no idea. just what the guy on the phone said. i guess i'll find out if i drop by sometime!.

Yeah, wasn't trying to $#!t on John or his crew either. He has been trying to get me to come and work for him for years. Great guy, but I am in much to deep a rut..........:)
Having an in house machine shop would be dreamy though. Something I've been aspiring to for years. Having the in house sheet metal shop and the in house tube fabrication has been difficult enough.
That New England Engine and Machine looks to be a pretty good outfit.

JackIIA
03-21-2011, 09:10 AM
a machine shop nearby shut down after 50 years in biz, so it was a decent sized operation. according to afew folks i know some great stuff went for cheap. then again, it's more than just the equipment, you need the skill too. still, it would have been sweet to get a few items. matt, good to know you always have a plan b, so you won't go hungry!

yorker
03-21-2011, 11:55 AM
yorker - no idea yet. the engine is sight unseen. i'm just assuming.
I wouldn't be so quick to assume it needs a rebuild, not until you have it in hand and can actually check it out (I don't know anything about the history of the 2.25 you are dealing with). There really isn't much sense in rebuilding it if it doesn't need it. Good is good. :thumb-up:

JackIIA
03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to assume it needs a rebuild, not until you have it in hand and can actually check it out (I don't know anything about the history of the 2.25 you are dealing with). There really isn't much sense in rebuilding it if it doesn't need it. Good is good. :thumb-up:

I'm all for that. I guess it's a bit of hope for the best prepare for the worst.