PDA

View Full Version : What to do now?

wrighthm
03-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone, I have been lucky enough to be driving my 62 IIA 88' for the past 6 months trouble free. That being said, I bought a tuffy box from RN because I loved the captain seat feel it gives the driver and passenger seats in the old series trucks. Since I was paying shipping for the tuffy I decided to buy enough points, condensers and rotor caps to last me a long time. When I get a delivery of parts I cant help but work on the truck, so I replaced my current points and condenser on the spot. Everything was fine for a few days, then all of the sudden im stuck on the side of the road after my truck turned itself off. I was certain it was not fuel related so I changed the points, the truck still did not start, then I pull the coil to distributor wire and put it back on and the truck starts. It worked great for another three days until it stranded me again, this time I changed the condenser back to the one I had used before I got the delivery and just like that I am on the road again. It worked until the next day that is and this time there was no fix. I ended up pushing my truck back to my house a good distance away. (on a flat road at least) One thing I have noticed every time either before it dies or after is that my interior dome light quits working. I have checked all the wiring and changed all of my fuses. That being said the previous owner does have my ignition running through my aftermarket fuse block, if I remember correctly thats not the way it is supposed to be, but shouldnt make a difference. I had to drive from Lexington KY to Kingsport TN which is my home town and I have to be at work Monday in Lexington and I really would like to keep driving my old rover daily to work, so if anyone has any ideas or anything it would help. I have been miserable on my trip home so far because my truck broke down right before I left and I can not seem to figure this one out.

Here is a list of all the things that are new on my truck, all are around 4 months old or newer; coil, fuel pump, carb, fuel tank, points, condenser, distributor and I am sure theres a lot more I am not remembering right now but I hope that helps (maybe?) I know my problem has got to be something really small I just have no one to bounce ideas off of or to get any feedback from. (also when it quits on me I can crank the truck a few more times and it will start up but immediately die. Just typing things as I think of them.)

As always, sorry for the long type-up and thanks for any and all thoughts.

LaneRover
03-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Though some argue against this I have heard don't replace a working condensor. Many can be iffy even when new.

Did you keep the old? Oh wait yes, now that I read your post a bit more fully.

Sounds like a ground or intermittent fault problem. Is there anywhere that the dome light and ignition circuit meet?

Nium
03-19-2011, 08:02 PM
If it's a 25D4 distributor replace the low tension lead. IMHO

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2486/4108068104_0f4f0a8f88.jpg

wrighthm
03-21-2011, 09:06 AM
The distributor is the one from our host. New style is what they call it. Last night when I got back in town. I checked my main battery ground and took the dizzy cap off and brushed the spring loaded contact off that touches the top of the rotor cap. The spring seemed slightly weak so I gave it a bounce or two as well. Got in the truck and it fired after a few seconds of cranking. I think the problem stems from the dizzy cap or the dizzy power line that runs from the coil. it didn't help that the problem seemed to fix itself again cause I did not find a certain resolution. Couldn't bring myself to drive her this mornin so ill be working and trouble shooting to see if I can get it to stop again at the house, so I can narrow down what it could be afterwards.

wrighthm
03-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Today I took a grinder to the spot where my ground wire is hooked up. It has the alternator ground connected on the same spot.. Put some electronics grease all over it as well.

Also, went through all of my wiring over the past two afternoons with some solder, tape and all new connecting hoops (etc). All of my lights are brighter and everything else is working once again without any finiky episodes.

Hope everything holds up for me tomorrow morning, I am taking it 20 miles across town to a school thats been finished for two years to fix down spouts.

Thanks for all help!

disco2hse
03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
You might want to give your coil a wash with solvent between the leads as well. This is often the cause of intermittent shorts that people never seem to consider. Dust and dirt build up, add a mix of salts from various sources, a little moisture, hey presto, instant short.