PDA

View Full Version : Top Housing for Thermostat

JHK07
03-21-2011, 10:27 AM
This may be fruitless without pics, but I will try to explain. 1959 SII. I need to replace thermostat.

There are 3 bolts in the top housing, and I believe they say Newton on top.
Is a Newton a Whitworth?

The main problem is that the heads of the bolt are nestled so close to the cast of the top t-stat housing that no socket, open end, closed end tool is gonna grab it, to back it out. In other words, it seems I can't go OVER the head of the bolt, because the housing is in the way.

Am I missing something? My Top Housing does not look like the one pictured by our host that is not available.

Also. Lets say I do get them backed out. Without searching Whitworth stuff, am I going to be able to replace w/ some standard bolts? thanks. jhk

gudjeon
03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
The 59, would likely be an early series 2 motor with a bellows thermostat and water pump that differs from the later, more common 2.25. As far as bolts, I dunno and can't be of help.:confused:

leafsprung
03-21-2011, 11:33 AM
you would be better off replacing the entire thermostat housing. Newton is just the bolt manufacturer.

JHK07
03-21-2011, 12:01 PM
you would be better off replacing the entire thermostat housing. Newton is just the bolt manufacturer.

can you elaborate on that as far as replacing entire housing? PO already gave me T-stat as part of purchase.

granted I did not spend a lot of time on this, but my metric and aMerican stuff did not want to seem to go over the bolt head. So i just dropped it, and said this project is not getting done today!

gudjeon
03-21-2011, 12:13 PM
I know mine being a later 2.25 engine uses a plain thin walled 7/16 or 1/2" socket. My shiney old Craftsmen from Sears is what I used.:thumb-up: Sometimes you can get away with a 6-sided socket to get a grip where the 12-point will just spin.

Sputnicker
03-21-2011, 01:16 PM
On my 60 Series 2 those bolts are 1/4" SAE fine thread bolts. In fact, all of the bolts on the engine are SAE. They are available at any good hardware store in the US. You should be able to remove them with a thin-wall 7/16" socket. If your vehicle still has the one-piece thermostat housing it only works with a bellows thermostat, which are extinct. If you have the later two-piece style, it will work with the standard Series thermostat. If you aren't sure what you have attach a picture and we can tell you.

singingcamel
03-21-2011, 01:45 PM
These bolts have a reputation for rusting in the housing, soak well in PB Blaster to loosen and don't forget to coat the bolts with anti seeze on installation.
Good luck.
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

JHK07
03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
They have been soaking in PB blaster since Saturday. I did some reading before and Do Not think mine is a 1pc. The PO is a rover nut, and It would be sheer accident if he gave me the wrong thermostat. It is still in RN box.

I will be looking for a thin wall 7/16 socket. Thanks. Got me going in the right direction again.

JHK07
03-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Turns out as directed, I just needed a "thinner walled" 7/16 deep socket.

I had one in tool box that was to big, bought one at Ace that worked perfect.

Also turns out, I do have a 1 piece housing. I searched "bellow" and only got 4 threads to read over.

Have attached a pic of T-stats. I really don't know what PO had in mind.
I texted him last night, but have not heard back yet. I would mention his name, as he is a great guy and he knows his stuff. He either had a game plan, or this was a simple over sight.

This bellow stat had some crud (not alot), in it. I believe it would be stuck open???? I have had truck for 2.5 months and never seen temp gauge move. While I was doing this I took Temp gauge out and put in some water on stove....The Temp Gauge Does Work.

Not really wanting to change to a 2 pc housing cause i dont want to spend the money. I dont even have the bibles yet.

I put the bellow back in hoping something had caused to stick open. Very possible I am not done w/ this and will take any suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

PS.... that is Natty Light in coolie top left

leafsprung
03-22-2011, 10:20 AM
You dont really have many options. The bellows is very hard to find/NLA. If you cant get ahold of one, you may have to change to the later type

JHK07
05-10-2011, 08:39 AM
I can't take credit for this, as I got this info from a Series III owner I met a few years ago.

For those of you that have the one piece thermostat housing, and are having trouble finding a T-Stat, my friend told me to try Napa part # 375-180.

It is a 180 degree stat, and a current part # that will be around for awhile.

It is a little pricey 36 bucks or so, but seems to be doing the job. I have had it in for 2 weeks now and the only issues I have had is it pressurized the radiator to show me some leaks.

I have since sealed those w/ a 1/2 teaspoon (or less) of coarse pepper. we shall see for how long......

What temp is this Petrol engine supposed to run at? The reason I ask is because he seemed to think there was another stat out there that would work also, at a different Temp.