X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • albersj51
    5th Gear
    • May 2010

My Restoration

I have a thread on GnR, but since I frequent the RN board as well, I figured I'd start a thread here as well. I'm hoping to get some good insight and suggestions.

I picked up my 1967 SIIA in May of 2010. Drove her around until December when I put her in my buddies greenhouse and took her apart. Originally I planned to repair the frame and bulkhead, but shipfitters took over and before you know it I have a rust free/repair free frame and rust free/repair free bulkhead coming from Ike and Pangolin (frame is spoken for, but if you need a repairable firewall-one doorpost and footwell are in and the other parts go with it-let me know). Once they arrive the frame, bulkhead, rad panel, door frames, and almost anything steal will be galvanized. For the metal that I cannot galvanize (gas tank, leaf springs, axles, spring plates, etc) I am coating them with Masterseries silver rust preventative (like POR-15) and then top coating them black.

Here are the pics of my progress. With any luck I'll have the frame/firewall in the next few weeks, then I can get it all dipped and start putting her back together (gotta beat the South Carolina summer heat!).

After reading Ikes Pabst Blue Rover, I am considering doing some similar things like herculining the tub, seat bases, and floor panels. The goal is to reduce noise and heat (a little at least) and also create a buffer between some of the steal and aluminum parts to prevent galvanic corrosion (noticing a trend here? I HATE rust and corrosion). I am also sourcing parts for the Scout II power steering conversion.

Here are some pics the day we started talking her apart.

Jason
  • albersj51
    5th Gear
    • May 2010

Here is a link to many more photo's...

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

• mongoswede
      5th Gear
      • May 2010

Looks like a very clean truck to have started with. Here is a similar picture of my 73 SIII when it was in similar level of tear down:

Comment

• TeriAnn
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by albersj51
        I am also sourcing parts for the Scout II power steering conversion.
        If you don't have the power steering box yet you might consider using a P38 Range Rover steering box. This is fast becoming a popular swap because P38 boxes are easier to come by than the optional Scout II power steering box.

The conversion to a P38 PS box is basically the same as the Scout II conversion except that you need a different welded on frame adapter and you can use the P38 steering arm. This saves you sourcing one the right length for the conversion that has the right spline for the Scout box that needs to be reamed to fit the Series tie rod ends. All the upper steering column stuff and the steering box stuff remains the same for both conversions.

I recently added pictures of a P38 conversion to the bottom of my PS conversion web page.

-

Teriann Wakeman_________
        Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• I Leak Oil
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

The body looks super straight! Nice find.
          Jason
          "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• stomper
            5th Gear
            • Apr 2007

Looking at your photos, it looks like the round smith's heater is a little rusty. I doubt it gets too cold in SC, but have you considered a Kodiak MKIII heater to give a little more heat, and a clean look?
            Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• albersj51
              5th Gear
              • May 2010

Thanks everyone!

TAW: I considered both, but I've found the scout stuff to be cheaper and more available...I've got a line on a working box and pump for about $70. Per your site (thank you BTW), I'll probably cut the drag link in half and weld it into a longer and thicker piece of DOM tube. The pitman arm I'm still trying to figure out. If the scout stuff falls through i'll revisit the P38.

Stomper: winter isn't too bad down here, but you do need heat. The shin burner want working anyway. I'd love a kodiak, but the thought of cutting up my "new" unmolested firewall bothers me. Plus, those things must be made of gold because a used one with a good motor and questionable core was $250.

Jac04's work is my goal with this. while his level of craftsmanship will exceed my abilities, its my goal to have an 88" of similar caliber...hey, shoot for the stars and if you fall short, you're still in good shape!

Comment

• mongoswede
                5th Gear
                • May 2010

Thanks everyone!

hey, shoot for the stars and if you fall short, you're still in good shape!

Just watch out because sometimes there is an abyss hiding below.

Comment

• albersj51
                  5th Gear
                  • May 2010

Very true! I have a feeling I am starting into it as we speak!

Comment

• albersj51
                    5th Gear
                    • May 2010

This weekend I topcoated the front and rear axles as well as the gas tank, spring perches, brake line hangers, and the two from spring packs. You'll see in the pics in the link below that I originally went with a high gloss black, but decided that was too much shine. Went back to Tractor Supply and picked up the low gloss black, which I think looks a lot better.

Next weekend, when I get back in town, I'll top coat the rear springs and remove the door skins (wish me luck!!) so I can get the door frames galvanized with everything else.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

• Skookumchuck
                      2nd Gear
                      • Oct 2010

You are doing a great job on your restoration keep it up and keep posting the Rover ****
                      1968 Series IIA
                      1987 D90 Kid's project
                      German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)

Comment

• albersj51
                        5th Gear
                        • May 2010

Thanks, skookum! I appreciate the support!

Comment

• jimsshuman
                          1st Gear
                          • Apr 2008

I picked up my 1967 SIIA in May of 2010. Drove her around until December when I put her in my buddies greenhouse and took her apart.
                          Jason
                          I was just wondering if anything reproduced or germinated with the green oval on it while in the green house?? If so, I need to find a green house, quick!
                          Sounds great so far, keep it up!
                          sigpic
                          '91 RRC, SWB (tuned up quite nicely, new water pump, needs radiator repaired or replaced and brakes!) Sold😔
                          '74 S III, diesel, 109, rhd, hard top
                          (patiently awaiting cummings 4bt, nv 4500, and np200!)
                          Finally IN PROGRESS!! Sold😖

Comment

• albersj51
                            5th Gear
                            • May 2010

Thanks, Michael.

HA! Not yet, but its turning spring, so I half expect to see the Rover sprouting life in the not-so-distant future!

Comment

• albersj51
                              5th Gear
                              • May 2010

Nothing big this week, although I put a lot of hours in. got the rear springs top coated, which went well. I spent the entire day today getting the hitch and "handles" off the old frame. Wow! That was a pain! Finallu brought out the sawzall, which still took a couple hours.

Comment

Working...