PDA

View Full Version : My Restoration

albersj51
03-23-2011, 12:52 AM
I have a thread on GnR, but since I frequent the RN board as well, I figured I'd start a thread here as well. I'm hoping to get some good insight and suggestions.

I picked up my 1967 SIIA in May of 2010. Drove her around until December when I put her in my buddies greenhouse and took her apart. Originally I planned to repair the frame and bulkhead, but shipfitters took over and before you know it I have a rust free/repair free frame and rust free/repair free bulkhead coming from Ike and Pangolin (frame is spoken for, but if you need a repairable firewall-one doorpost and footwell are in and the other parts go with it-let me know). Once they arrive the frame, bulkhead, rad panel, door frames, and almost anything steal will be galvanized. For the metal that I cannot galvanize (gas tank, leaf springs, axles, spring plates, etc) I am coating them with Masterseries silver rust preventative (like POR-15) and then top coating them black.

Here are the pics of my progress. With any luck I'll have the frame/firewall in the next few weeks, then I can get it all dipped and start putting her back together (gotta beat the South Carolina summer heat!).

After reading Ikes Pabst Blue Rover, I am considering doing some similar things like herculining the tub, seat bases, and floor panels. The goal is to reduce noise and heat (a little at least) and also create a buffer between some of the steal and aluminum parts to prevent galvanic corrosion (noticing a trend here? I HATE rust and corrosion). I am also sourcing parts for the Scout II power steering conversion.

Here are some pics the day we started talking her apart.

Jason

albersj51
03-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Here is a link to many more photo's...

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd519/albersj51/

mongoswede
03-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Looks like a very clean truck to have started with. Here is a similar picture of my 73 SIII when it was in similar level of tear down:

http://crazyswede.smugmug.com/Trucks/Land-Rover/IMG0578/302683586_985Hg-L.jpg

TeriAnn
03-23-2011, 10:14 AM
I am also sourcing parts for the Scout II power steering conversion.

If you don't have the power steering box yet you might consider using a P38 Range Rover steering box. This is fast becoming a popular swap because P38 boxes are easier to come by than the optional Scout II power steering box.

The conversion to a P38 PS box is basically the same as the Scout II conversion except that you need a different welded on frame adapter and you can use the P38 steering arm. This saves you sourcing one the right length for the conversion that has the right spline for the Scout box that needs to be reamed to fit the Series tie rod ends. All the upper steering column stuff and the steering box stuff remains the same for both conversions.

I recently added pictures of a P38 conversion to the bottom of my PS conversion web page.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/PowerSteering.htm#p38

I Leak Oil
03-23-2011, 10:43 AM
The body looks super straight! Nice find.

stomper
03-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Looking at your photos, it looks like the round smith's heater is a little rusty. I doubt it gets too cold in SC, but have you considered a Kodiak MKIII heater to give a little more heat, and a clean look?

albersj51
03-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks everyone!

TAW: I considered both, but I've found the scout stuff to be cheaper and more available...I've got a line on a working box and pump for about $70. Per your site (thank you BTW), I'll probably cut the drag link in half and weld it into a longer and thicker piece of DOM tube. The pitman arm I'm still trying to figure out. If the scout stuff falls through i'll revisit the P38.

Stomper: winter isn't too bad down here, but you do need heat. The shin burner want working anyway. I'd love a kodiak, but the thought of cutting up my "new" unmolested firewall bothers me. Plus, those things must be made of gold because a used one with a good motor and questionable core was $250.

Jac04's work is my goal with this. while his level of craftsmanship will exceed my abilities, its my goal to have an 88" of similar caliber...hey, shoot for the stars and if you fall short, you're still in good shape!

mongoswede
03-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks everyone!

hey, shoot for the stars and if you fall short, you're still in good shape!

Just watch out because sometimes there is an abyss hiding below. :D

albersj51
03-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Very true! I have a feeling I am starting into it as we speak! :)

albersj51
03-27-2011, 05:59 PM
This weekend I topcoated the front and rear axles as well as the gas tank, spring perches, brake line hangers, and the two from spring packs. You'll see in the pics in the link below that I originally went with a high gloss black, but decided that was too much shine. Went back to Tractor Supply and picked up the low gloss black, which I think looks a lot better.

Next weekend, when I get back in town, I'll top coat the rear springs and remove the door skins (wish me luck!!) so I can get the door frames galvanized with everything else.

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd519/albersj51/

Skookumchuck
03-29-2011, 07:07 PM
You are doing a great job on your restoration keep it up and keep posting the Rover ****:thumb-up:

albersj51
03-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks, skookum! I appreciate the support!

jimsshuman
03-30-2011, 06:51 AM
I picked up my 1967 SIIA in May of 2010. Drove her around until December when I put her in my buddies greenhouse and took her apart.
Jason

I was just wondering if anything reproduced or germinated with the green oval on it while in the green house?? If so, I need to find a green house, quick!
Sounds great so far, keep it up!

albersj51
03-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks, Michael.

HA! Not yet, but its turning spring, so I half expect to see the Rover sprouting life in the not-so-distant future!

albersj51
04-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Nothing big this week, although I put a lot of hours in. got the rear springs top coated, which went well. I spent the entire day today getting the hitch and "handles" off the old frame. Wow! That was a pain! Finallu brought out the sawzall, which still took a couple hours.

albersj51
04-10-2011, 10:00 PM
The temp down south is rising! Hit 87 on saturday, which wouldn't be terrible if I weren't working in a greenhouse making it 95+ degrees! I little sweat never hurt, I could stand to lose a pound or ten anyway.

Got the doors apart. Frames arent bad, but will need some repairs before I galvanize them. The doortop studs and time conspired to weld the tops to the bottoms, but a little work undid times evil plan.

I took the windscreen apart, too...in prep for regalv.

Started taking the rear door apart, but realized the aluminum is too far gone for removal. Since I'm converting to a soft top ill only need it when I use the hardtop. Ill put it back together, paint it and live with it, If and when i need to use it.

I sended down the rad panels I have in prep for galvanizing. Pretty much everything is ready for dipping, so when the frame and firewall get here ill take the lot up and bid farewell to rust!

albersj51
09-02-2011, 09:09 PM
It's been a while since I updated this, but everything was on hold this summer. Got my frame, bulkhead, hoopset, etc from Ike and just got it back from the galvanizer. With any luck ill have a rolling chassis by Monday. Pics to come.

Skookumchuck
09-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Sounds great I cheated and bought a truck that was already completed. To busy working and I found one hell of a deal. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress.:thumb-up:

albersj51
09-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Here are some pics of the frame, bulkhead, rad panel, hoopset, etc before galvanizing.

albersj51
09-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Here are some pic post-dipping

albersj51
09-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Here is where I am today...

knac1234
09-12-2011, 04:14 PM
VERY nice!

Going to the galvanizers at week's end. No frame or bulkhead, but I think most everything else you had!

Were they able to do small fiddly bits too, or just larger items?

Cheers,
Julian

albersj51
09-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks, Julian. I sent them all kind of things. Small, Medium and Large. It really depends on the place and the parts. If they look like they may get damaged in the zinc, they'll tell you. I always took their advice. Just make sure it is PERFECTLY clean! No paint or grease whatsoever!

knac1234
09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks Jason.

I spent a whole Saturday scrubbing every part going out with solvent and steel wool. Nasty. But, I think everything should be clean!! Just have to finish the roof gutter tomorrow and brace it.

Julian

albersj51
10-10-2011, 04:59 PM
The resto is moving along. Once the rolling chassis was together, I ran new Cunifer brake lines (upgrading to a dual circuit "power" system from an S3), and started prepping, painting, restoring the smaller parts. Handbrake assembly has been restored and attached, headlamp buckets/rings restored, pedal towers and pedals restored. All items were taken to bare metal, painted in Masterseries Silver (like POR 15), primed in cold galvanizing compound, then top coated.

I also decided to rebuild my motor and gearbox instead of going diesel (a VERY tough decision). My buddy is a mechanic and is showing me the ropes on the rebuild. We took it apart this weekend and it appears the bottom end was in very good shape and was redone in the not-so-distance past. I am however going to continue with a cleaning, new bearings, rings, etc. He feels the cylinders are in excellent shape and do not require a rebore, just a hone. Once the machine shops mic's everything I'll know for sure and then place an order.

All in all its moving along, and I HOPE to have it done by Christmas, which is roughly 1 year after I started.

Pics to follow

Jason

albersj51
10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
handbrake, headlamps being restored...

albersj51
10-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Engine being torn down. The block looks to be in very good shape, but the head was definitely in need of some attention!

albersj51
10-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Got the doors stripped of paint and ready for the respray. The frames are being coated inside and out with Masterseries Silver, cold galvanizing compound then topcoated.

mrdoiron
10-12-2011, 06:26 PM
handbrake, headlamps being restored...

This looks like you're having some good fun. Addictive isn't it...

Really enjoying the progress...

albersj51
10-12-2011, 07:55 PM
This looks like you're having some good fun. Addictive isn't it...

Really enjoying the progress...

Thanks, man. Yeah, its been a great learning experience for me and is extremely addictive. Unfortunately, my wallet is getting slimmer by the day!

Jason

albersj51
11-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Some updates:

Decided to rebuild the old 2.25l petrol instead of convert to diesel. Since I was keeping it, I am rebuilding it. New 20-over AE/Nural pistons, bearings, 2.5 cam, new oil pump, new radiator, etc. Just got everything back from the machine shop (rebored 20 over, crank polished and balanced, flywheel turned and balanced, head decked slightly, new valve seals, 3-angle valve job, new crankshaft bushing, new conrod bushings, all new timing components, dist drive gear, waterpump, etc).

I have to take the block to another shop with a line hone to get the cam bearings installed, which should be done next week. With any luck, the motor will be back together by the end of next weekend.

Here are some pics of the machined parts, excluding the block.

albersj51
11-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Heres the redone head...Also had the stater rebuilt and next week I'm getting the propshafts balanced and the u-joints replaced.

Cutter
11-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Mmm fresh machined metal. Looks great! Why no diesel out of curiosity?

albersj51
11-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I was really set on the diesel, and id still love one. But, I decided to rebuild what I have. I was sitting next to the motor and cleaned off an area where it said "made in england", so at that point I decided to keep things original...mostly. I'm still going to upgrade to power steering, but I'm going to keep the old lump and stick with pastel green for the paint. Plus, it allows me to keep the progress going so I can finish it by the end of the year (i hope), which is roughly a year since this started as a 2 week project to "fix some things".