PDA

View Full Version : Gear Reduction starter

griswald
03-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Hello all,

The starter in my 1971 IIA petrol is wrring...then on the second or third try it will catch and turnover the motor. The wirring happens usually when the motor is cold. In warmer temps (over 60 degrees) or when restarting a warm motor this issue does not happen...

I suspect that the gear is bogged up by old grime and a cleaning may help? (Any tips woudl be appreciated)

If I pull the starter (the lucas original) and clean it, but this does not help, I am wondering if a gear reduction starter like Mean Green or one from British starters might be a better alternative than replacement with an original? Any feedback appreciated.

Best,
Griswald

rejeep
03-23-2011, 08:47 AM
I was thinking about this the other day...
I see there are alernitives being sold.. but another option is to R&R you current one as a high torque.

SalemRover
03-23-2011, 08:49 AM
I had a nippondenso gear reduction starter on my 2.25 for years and loved how fast it turns the engine over. There is a british starter shop in Gloucester MA that made one up for me. Here is the link;

http://www.gustafsonmachine.com/

These are reconditioned units and I never had any issue with it for the 4 years I had it on the truck. Much better than the stock starter.

-Jason

SeriesShorty
03-23-2011, 09:25 AM
I have the British Starters gear reduction starter and I am really fond of it. Great price and to my door quickly.

I Leak Oil
03-23-2011, 11:25 AM
If it's just the bendix sticking then remove the starter and clean it really well. Make sure the springs aren't broken and reinstall it. Should work for you. If you do feel the need to replace it then I don't have enough good things to say about a high torque starter compared to the original!

rejeep
03-23-2011, 01:10 PM
i just noticed they have some on the bay right now..
on sale even..

:rolleyes:

martindktm
03-23-2011, 02:08 PM
How much can we expect to pay for one of those reduction starter?

westcoastkevin
03-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Will those ones that Gustafson makes work on a 2.0l? When I get to that part of my project, I would really like one of those if it will work.
Kevin

siii8873
03-23-2011, 02:56 PM
It may not be the starter also. I have had this symptom a few times and it was two different items that caused it.
first time the commutator ring was worn on the started. I carefully reconditioned it and all was fine afterwards.
The second time it was a weak battery, replaced the battery and all was fine.
It also can be you electrical connections. A poor connection anywhere in the circuit, including the ground strap, will also cause these symptoms.

albersj51
03-23-2011, 03:09 PM
I was thinking about this the other day...
I see there are alernitives being sold.. but another option is to R&R you current one as a high torque.

Do you mean you can turn the series starter into a high torque starter? Please share how!!

rejeep
03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
one of my vendors rebuilds rotating electric.. they can make anything, anything..
you use to be able to find these kind of outlets locally..

SalemRover
03-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Will those ones that Gustafson makes work on a 2.0l? When I get to that part of my project, I would really like one of those if it will work.

I would just reach out to Gustafson and simply ask. He will need a starter from an SI to figure out the adapter plate and gear teeth. That is what he did when I got my starter from him for my 2.25 back when he didnt make rover starters.