PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the Right Winch

amcordo
03-23-2011, 03:09 PM
So how do you chose the right winch in general?

What vehicle you're using it on: 109
How often you're using: infrequently
What you're using it for: to aid self or others in getting un-stuck from a muddy situation

slorocco
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Choose-the-Right-Winch-for-Your-Vehicle-109942357

http://www.4wheelparts.com/off-road/winchadvisor.aspx

http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jeep_winch/

Lot's of good articles out there, these are the some of the first that came up on a google search "how to a winch"

I have a 109 station wagon as well. My first winch was a mechanically driven Koenig winch that I loved. I would still have it to day but it was too much of a pain to hook it up to my Cummins motor. I now use a Warn 8274 which is an excellent 8000lb winch. If you expect to do some expedition wheeling with a fully loaded truck you may need a higher rated winch than that, but you could always use a snatch block to double the line back.

A removeable reciever mount is sometimes good for occasional use but most mount systems end up effecting your approach and departure angles, plus by the time you get stuck it's often too late to be able to get them mounted easily.

That's my 2 cents.

I Leak Oil
03-23-2011, 04:56 PM
The right winch is the one that gets you unstuck. End of story....:D

LaneRover
03-23-2011, 06:30 PM
If it is used infrequently I would say then go electric. Though there are great reasons to go with hydraulic and mechanical, unless you get the whole thing with all the parts you need (brackets, pumps, driveshafts, cogs etc) it can quickly get expensive and a big pain in the butt.

Electric has the simplest hook-up. Also I believe weighs the least when you include everything that goes along with the others.

I Leak Oil
03-23-2011, 06:54 PM
I'd guess that 99.5% of people would be fine with an electric. A series truck is more than fine with a 8K or 9K. I'd stick with a Warn, Superwinch or Ramsey. You're factors put you in the electric 8-9K realm perfectly. You shouldn't kick a good PTO out of bed for eating crackers though!

bpj911
03-23-2011, 06:58 PM
We use winches every day at work to do tower work. Electric winches don't work very long at all. Hydraulics and PTO winches do. I have an 8274 on my 109. It's ok but it's certainly not a hyd or PTO. But, it's simpler and easier for something infrequently used.

I Leak Oil
03-24-2011, 04:45 AM
But he's not doing tower work, he's getting his buddies or himself out of the mud on the odd occasion. While a PTO or hydraulic is a nice bonus, it's hardly required for what he wants to do.
Now do you use grease or 90wt in your swivels?!:D

amcordo
03-24-2011, 06:36 AM
But he's not doing tower work, he's getting his buddies or himself out of the mud on the odd occasion. While a PTO or hydraulic is a nice bonus, it's hardly required for what he wants to do.
Now do you use grease or 90wt in your swivels?!:D

90wt 4 LIFE!

So is a 4000lb winch too weak?

I Leak Oil
03-24-2011, 06:50 AM
90wt 4 LIFE!

So is a 4000lb winch too weak?

Yes, 90wt as the Rover Gods intended!

Is a 4K too weak? Not if it gets you unstuck.
Do I think it's too weak for pulling a rover out of mud. Yes. I'd recommend an 8K or a 9K. I've never needed more than my 9K. Came close to maxing it out but not quite and not often.

jac04
03-24-2011, 07:35 AM

I think bpj911 was simply trying to stress the importance of duty cycle when it comes to an electric winch.

I Leak Oil
03-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Yes, I picked up on that too...

73series88
03-24-2011, 11:44 AM
i put this smittybuilt on a couple of weeks ago
its an 8000 has worked great so far
smittybuilt isnt the biggest name but the money for a warn or one the other big names was out of my range.
aaron:D

HybridIIA
03-24-2011, 04:37 PM
If you decide to go electric, the Husky 8 or 10 (Superwinch) is another great winch. It's a worm gear winch though, so it is slow. A hint on this one if you are looking for a deal is to search ebay for "Dayton winch". Grainger sells relabeled Superwinches as their Dayton product line and one of them is the Husky 10. I forgot which model number it was, but you can just look in a Grainger catalog to find it. For some reason new Dayton winches are always popping up on ebay. I got a pretty good deal on one a couple years ago - it was few years old, but still new in the box.

gudjeon
03-24-2011, 06:13 PM
A 4000 with a block and tackle to double it would be what I would use. I had an ancient Warn 6000 lb and it would do just fine. Straight line on a 4000 would do most playing around without too much stress on the truck. A block and tackle could double line pull for serious stuff.

I got rid of my winch because I hated getting called out at 2am from a buddy getting stuck in the sticks. That, and all a winch did for me was get stuck even worse or pull me down a bad road to get another 200 yards.:rolleyes:

I Leak Oil
03-24-2011, 06:42 PM
I got rid of my winch because I hated getting called out at 2am from a buddy getting stuck in the sticks. That, and all a winch did for me was get stuck even worse or pull me down a bad road to get another 200 yards.:rolleyes:

And you don't find that fun?!

leafsprung
03-24-2011, 07:16 PM
8274 period.

SGS714
03-24-2011, 09:52 PM
If you decide to go electric, the Husky 8 or 10 (Superwinch) is another great winch. It's a worm gear winch though, so it is slow. A hint on this one if you are looking for a deal is to search ebay for "Dayton winch". Grainger sells relabeled Superwinches as their Dayton product line and one of them is the Husky 10. I forgot which model number it was, but you can just look in a Grainger catalog to find it. For some reason new Dayton winches are always popping up on ebay. I got a pretty good deal on one a couple years ago - it was few years old, but still new in the box.

HybridIIa.....Whose bumper it that you are sporting in the picture? I doesn't look like Ike's.

Boddington
03-24-2011, 10:11 PM
My '67 once had a Belleview electric winch on the front, which I still had. It weighed a ton. The original owner told me that he used to pull down brick walls with it.

sailtech
03-25-2011, 07:21 AM
If you have a really tight budget, this might be better than nothing:

https://www.wyeth-scott.com/orders.asp

Jim-ME
03-25-2011, 11:40 AM
I have one of those and they are great! Not the fastest way to get unstuck but it has never let me down. Combine it with a High-Lift and you will always get home.
Jim

I Leak Oil
03-25-2011, 04:15 PM
I have one of those and they are great! Not the fastest way to get unstuck but it has never let me down. Jim

That's a good point Jim. No solenoids to puke on you, works without the motor running, no need to let anything cool down (except you!). Sometimes the simplest things are the best. I'm getting too old for those though! Too much effort!

leafsprung
03-25-2011, 06:44 PM
If you want a manual winch, cant go wrong with tirfor

amcordo
03-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Those are made just a couple of miles from where I grew up. I go by that area of town all the time visiting my parents. Small world!

If you have a really tight budget, this might be better than nothing:

https://www.wyeth-scott.com/orders.asp

gudjeon
03-25-2011, 07:38 PM
I have a huge 8000lb come-along from an agri supplier. Once you are stuck, you have all the time in the world.:thumb-up:

Jim-ME
03-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Ike,
Those are great too. We used to use them for hiking trail construction but they were a little rich for my wallet.
Jim

leafsprung
03-25-2011, 08:05 PM
I picked mine up at a yard sale up the street for 100 bucks. Was a good deal, but you can find them used pretty reasonably priced. 200-400.