X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amcordo
    5th Gear
    • Jun 2009

Choosing the Right Winch

So how do you chose the right winch in general?

What vehicle you're using it on: 109
    How often you're using: infrequently
    What you're using it for: to aid self or others in getting un-stuck from a muddy situation
  • slorocco
    2nd Gear
    • Feb 2007

When 4 Wheel Parts opened its doors in 1961, the motto was “Quality Parts, Lowest Prices, Fastest Service and Fully Guaranteed.” Powered by that attitude, 4 Wheel Parts grew from a one-person operation to the global leader in truck, Jeep, SUV and off-road performance products. Today, 55 years later,

Putting a winch on your Jeep? We sell a complete line of winches, winch line, covers, tow hooks, mounting plates, fairleads and d-rings.

Lot's of good articles out there, these are the some of the first that came up on a google search "how to a winch"

I have a 109 station wagon as well. My first winch was a mechanically driven Koenig winch that I loved. I would still have it to day but it was too much of a pain to hook it up to my Cummins motor. I now use a Warn 8274 which is an excellent 8000lb winch. If you expect to do some expedition wheeling with a fully loaded truck you may need a higher rated winch than that, but you could always use a snatch block to double the line back.

A removeable reciever mount is sometimes good for occasional use but most mount systems end up effecting your approach and departure angles, plus by the time you get stuck it's often too late to be able to get them mounted easily.

That's my 2 cents.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

The right winch is the one that gets you unstuck. End of story....
      Jason
      "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• LaneRover
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

If it is used infrequently I would say then go electric. Though there are great reasons to go with hydraulic and mechanical, unless you get the whole thing with all the parts you need (brackets, pumps, driveshafts, cogs etc) it can quickly get expensive and a big pain in the butt.

Electric has the simplest hook-up. Also I believe weighs the least when you include everything that goes along with the others.
        1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
        1965 109 SW - nearly running well
        1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
        1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• I Leak Oil
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

I'd guess that 99.5% of people would be fine with an electric. A series truck is more than fine with a 8K or 9K. I'd stick with a Warn, Superwinch or Ramsey. You're factors put you in the electric 8-9K realm perfectly. You shouldn't kick a good PTO out of bed for eating crackers though!
          Jason

Comment

• bpj911
            1st Gear
            • May 2009

winches

We use winches every day at work to do tower work. Electric winches don't work very long at all. Hydraulics and PTO winches do. I have an 8274 on my 109. It's ok but it's certainly not a hyd or PTO. But, it's simpler and easier for something infrequently used.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
              Overdrive
              • Nov 2006

But he's not doing tower work, he's getting his buddies or himself out of the mud on the odd occasion. While a PTO or hydraulic is a nice bonus, it's hardly required for what he wants to do.
              Now do you use grease or 90wt in your swivels?!
              Jason

Comment

• amcordo
                5th Gear
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by I Leak Oil
                But he's not doing tower work, he's getting his buddies or himself out of the mud on the odd occasion. While a PTO or hydraulic is a nice bonus, it's hardly required for what he wants to do.
                Now do you use grease or 90wt in your swivels?!

90wt 4 LIFE!

So is a 4000lb winch too weak?

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                  Overdrive
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by amcordo
                  90wt 4 LIFE!

So is a 4000lb winch too weak?
                  Yes, 90wt as the Rover Gods intended!

Is a 4K too weak? Not if it gets you unstuck.
                  Do I think it's too weak for pulling a rover out of mud. Yes. I'd recommend an 8K or a 9K. I've never needed more than my 9K. Came close to maxing it out but not quite and not often.
                  Jason

Comment

• jac04
                    Overdrive
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by I Leak Oil
                    I think bpj911 was simply trying to stress the importance of duty cycle when it comes to an electric winch.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                      Overdrive
                      • Nov 2006

Yes, I picked up on that too...
                      Jason

Comment

• 73series88
                        5th Gear
                        • Oct 2009

i put this smittybuilt on a couple of weeks ago
                        its an 8000 has worked great so far
                        smittybuilt isnt the biggest name but the money for a warn or one the other big names was out of my range.
                        aaron
                        73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
                        67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
                        88 RRC sold
                        60 mga coupe

Comment

• HybridIIA
                          1st Gear
                          • Dec 2006

If you decide to go electric, the Husky 8 or 10 (Superwinch) is another great winch. It's a worm gear winch though, so it is slow. A hint on this one if you are looking for a deal is to search ebay for "Dayton winch". Grainger sells relabeled Superwinches as their Dayton product line and one of them is the Husky 10. I forgot which model number it was, but you can just look in a Grainger catalog to find it. For some reason new Dayton winches are always popping up on ebay. I got a pretty good deal on one a couple years ago - it was few years old, but still new in the box.
                          Last edited by HybridIIA; 03-24-2011, 06:15 PM.
                          '62 109 - coil sprung
                          '64 88 - coil sprung

Comment

• gudjeon
                            5th Gear
                            • Oct 2006

A 4000 with a block and tackle to double it would be what I would use. I had an ancient Warn 6000 lb and it would do just fine. Straight line on a 4000 would do most playing around without too much stress on the truck. A block and tackle could double line pull for serious stuff.

I got rid of my winch because I hated getting called out at 2am from a buddy getting stuck in the sticks. That, and all a winch did for me was get stuck even worse or pull me down a bad road to get another 200 yards.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                              Overdrive
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by gudjeon
                              I got rid of my winch because I hated getting called out at 2am from a buddy getting stuck in the sticks. That, and all a winch did for me was get stuck even worse or pull me down a bad road to get another 200 yards.
                              And you don't find that fun?!
                              Jason

Comment

Working...