PDA

View Full Version : body panel gaskets?

msggunny
03-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Im getting my SIII back together soon and i was looking at using some sort of non bonding/sticky/semi-permanent gasket material for parts like the seat box, floor panels, where the wing attaches to the bulkhead, etc.

I remember seeing something on here about something someone else was using but i cant seem to find it. Looking at possibly neoprene or rubber. Just something to seal gaps and reduce squeaks as well as prevent corrosion between aluminum and steel.

Thanks.

Enigma
03-26-2011, 09:40 AM
I have sucessfully used the sealing tape that is used between a pick-up cap and the tub. It is however, sticky on one side and fairly wide but easily trimmed. It is a black sponge rubber and I think I have even seen it in the weatherstripping aisle at Lowes. Come to think of it I recently purchased several rolls of felt weatherstripping there. If you need it I can get the package info.

Cheers John

leafsprung
03-26-2011, 09:55 AM
strip caulk is what the factory used

msggunny
03-26-2011, 10:24 AM
strip caulk is what the factory used

Like this:
http://www.eastwood.com/3m-flexible-strip-caulk-20-yd.html

It looks rather gooey. Not looking for anything "factory" just something to do the job and not be a PITA when i take it apart again. Which i am sure will be a yearly thing....

Terrys
03-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Thats the exact stuff I use. It's easy to use, not gooey. Carquest has it, comes in a blue box, 3M

jac04
03-26-2011, 10:33 AM
I used the black 3M stuff on my Lightweight. It isn't gooey, but it is sticky, messy stuff, and rather expensive. Just use the Frost King grey strip caulk. It is a lot less expensive and it is definitely easier to work with. Either one will allow disassembly without problem.
Grey stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Frost-B2-Mortite-Caulking-19-ounce/dp/B000LNODSQ/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

leafsprung
03-26-2011, 10:34 AM
thats the stuff, except rover used a lighter color. Im not familiar with a product that wont deteriorate in that application. Foam will hold water. Its not hard to pull apart the panels with the strip caulk, it does reduce rattles but it is tacky and dirt will stick to it. You could try rubber tape.

Terrys
03-26-2011, 02:18 PM
The 3M material compresses to conform to any irregularities in the flatness of the surfaces being joined. Some body caulks only seem to compress so far.

SalemRover
03-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I covered my floor panels/tunnel cover with a high temp rubber cement and mass loaded vinyl. It reduces vibration but does allow the high pitched whine of the transmission through. Mcmastercar number 54665T32. It has held up well over the past 3 years.

lrdukdog
03-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Just get the "Storm King" strip caulk, it never hardens, I used it 25+ years ago still soft and easily removable. Oh, and it's cheap.
Jim Wolf