PDA

View Full Version : Frame bushings

stonefox
03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Friends,
Upon getting back my frame from the Galvinizer,I have to reream the frame bushes.The replacments are 1.196 -1.198. How much under size should they be to be tight but not impossible to install.Does anybody have the factory spec or have a frame with out one in it? I'm thinking 1.1875 or 1 3/16. thanx

I Leak Oil
03-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Never thought of it before and I don't know what the answer is. .009" sounds like a lot for a press fit on those though.

Mountain132
03-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Do yourself a favor and go poly. I had the same problem and spent days trying to get the factory bushings in. I got the 2 rear and only 1 front in. I had to find someone with 1 poly bushing for the front. I was snapping 1/2 grade 8 bolts trying to pull them through. Not worth the trouble. Not to mention when you get them stuck you have to drill and saw them out, complete waste

albersj51
03-26-2011, 11:26 PM
With poly bushings, like great basin rovers, is the fitment after galvanizing less of a hassle since they don't slide all the way in like rubber bushings?

Mountain132
03-26-2011, 11:32 PM
I think it's more because they have some give to them so the diameters don't have to be a precision match, it does help that you can push them in from both sides. You can do it by hand or may need a rubber mallet to get the inner sleeve in.

The factory rover ones are so tight that you might as well be trying to push a solid piece of steel through the hole. If they don't go in, they don't go in

albersj51
03-26-2011, 11:47 PM
ill probably go that route. So the polys would require less reaming of the frame after galving to get them to fit? If so, thats another advantage since you're less likely to wear through the zinc and therefore risk rust.

masonater
03-27-2011, 12:04 AM
I think it's more because they have some give to them so the diameters don't have to be a precision match, it does help that you can push them in from both sides. You can do it by hand or may need a rubber mallet to get the inner sleeve in.

The factory rover ones are so tight that you might as well be trying to push a solid piece of steel through the hole. If they don't go in, they don't go in

I can vouch for that!! my 12 ton press could hardly do it, even after putting the bushings on the lathe and taking a good amount of material off.

Mercedesrover
03-27-2011, 06:26 AM
I can vouch for that!! my 12 ton press could hardly do it, even after putting the bushings on the lathe and taking a good amount of material off.

That is a great picture.

After following a RRC in the Anza-Borrego Desert and getting pelted with chunks of blue poly-bush until they were gone, I'm not sure I'd trust them myself.

After I galvanized my 109 frame I reamed the holes out with a bit of course sand paper wrapped around a socket driven by an impact wrench. I drove the bushings in with a ball-joint press. It's not my favorite job but it worked well enough. As far as clearance goes, I'd think no more than a .002"-.004" interference fit. Leave it a little loose and use some Permatex bearing and sleeve mount if you're worried they'll spin.

Terrys
03-27-2011, 07:33 AM
I'd say anything more than a few thous (3-5)and you would be hard pressed to get them in. WOW that was a pun not intended. I've done them hitting the frame with a rosebud torch while the bushings were in the freezer overnight, without a major pain, but you can't waste a lot of time. I used a long threaded rod and impact wrench. For all the agro it may seem, it's a lot better than listening to the clunk of sliding busings everytime you make a hard turn. I recently replaced the rear crossmember in my 88 and those bushings can be pushed side to side with your thumb. Since the inner tube is longer than the outer, your shackles tighten up up on the inner tube with about 1/8" clearance on both sides, allowing a loose bushing a country mile to wander back and forth.

stonefox
03-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks for your response. Being I already have the factory bushs thats what I'm going to use.I'll let you guys say "I told you so" if it goes bad.
Mercedes, I looked into the Permatex stuff and found three differt ones, "for a close fit ", "for a relaxed fit",and "for a worn fit".I wasn't sure if you were sending me to buy a pair of jeans or what?:D They all seem to have similar specs.
By the way,what is the importance of this super tight fit anyway if the bushes are held captive by the shackles?They won't slide out from side to side.What would it hurt if they did spin a little ,it would seem that they would wear more evenly? Just wondering

I Leak Oil
03-27-2011, 08:13 AM
You don't want the outer sleeve to spin because it will wear into the frame, causing it to become oversized. THAT doesn't sound fun to fix!

Terrys
03-27-2011, 08:34 AM
By the way,what is the importance of this super tight fit anyway if the bushes are held captive by the shackles?They won't slide out from side to side.What would it hurt if they did spin a little ,it would seem that they would wear more evenly? Just wondering
The shackles are tight to the inner sleeve, not the outer, which is recessed a good 1/8" on each end. The overqll length of the outer sleeve is the same as the frame, so if the bushing isn't tight, it will slide back and forth a 1/4", with a good clunk on each end. I have to think this woulld also cause handling issues, un-even rear tire wear, and shorten the front bushing life also.

stonefox
03-27-2011, 08:59 AM
You don't want the outer sleeve to spin because it will wear into the frame, causing it to become oversized. THAT doesn't sound fun to fix!Well that makes sense Jason. I knew deep down ,you weren't totally full of BS.:D

I Leak Oil
03-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Awe shucks, thanks Sean.
Seriously, though, Terrys answer is spot on also. You definitely don't want the outer casing to spin in the frame.

stonefox
03-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Its all becoming clearer now......You fellas are swell!

stonefox
03-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Okay,so the plot thickens.Am I right to assume that all the frame and spring bushings are the same diameter,with the only difference being the front frame bushings are longer?Mine measure 1.198 . The holes in the frame and rear spring hanger measure 1.040 .Is it possible I have the wrong bushes for the frame and rear spring hanger or do I really need to ream out .158 worth of Zinc?
Edit- In talking with Ike I think the problem is I didn't fullyremove the outer part of the original bushings.Thanks again Ike.

I Leak Oil
03-27-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't know of any bushings being smaller on the earlier IIa. Sounds like you have a lot of zinc build up. The rear frame and spring bushings are the same. The front frame bushing is longer on your truck but should be the same diameter. Take a file. File down the face of the bushing tube on the frame just a little. You should be able to see where the steel tube ends and the zinc buildup starts.

yorker
03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Edit- In talking with Ike I think the problem is I didn't fullyremove the outer part of the original bushings.Thanks again Ike.

So you removed the inner metal sleeve and the rubber but left the outer bushing sleeve in the holes in the chassis where they then became soldered in with molten zinc? Sounds plausible to me.

gudjeon
03-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Bushing dia. should be all the same as I installed ser2 bushings on my '57 ser1. The front ones are longer bushings as they fit all across the frame rail. If it fits loose, I would ding up the outer part of the bush with a centre punch and use green loctite to install. Its a bush repair and won't be pretty, but, it won't go anywhere.

I Leak Oil
03-27-2011, 01:57 PM
If you left the old outer sleeves in the frame that would probably make the job easier. Slit the old sleeve with a saw, drive it out. Only thing is you may need to grind the faces a little to break the galv. bond.

Terrys
03-27-2011, 02:06 PM
It might have been an oversight to leave the old outers in there when you had it dipped, but I'm guessing it may prove to be a good oversight; that is, assuming you don't have a bugger of a time getting them out.

stonefox
03-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Terry ,I think you are right about it being a good oversight.There is just a small amount of galvy in the hole.
I got the fronts out by slicing them like you said Jason,but they were easy because they were the split bushings so I could hammmer them out from the inside.I guess that should of gave it away from the start.
I gottem on the run now!

stonefox
03-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Four new in the frame.Eight in the springs. I smell Victory!