PDA

View Full Version : Main engine seal

derekchace
03-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Main engine seal question. I have a major oil leak on my main engine seal. So what's easier pull the transmission, or pull the engine. I cant do it so I need to take it to my mechanic so I need the quickest cheapest option.

cousindave
03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
I just did this myself. I went the transmission route, only because I also needed to rebuild the transmission. I would reccomend going the engine route. A good mechanic will pull a simple engine such as the land rover's in a couple of hours. With the transmission route depending on if ta a civilian model or a military model hu would run into pulling the entire interior out of the vehicle and that's the hardest part of the tranny rebuild. Also it is ten times easier to replace the rear main seal while the engine is out and upside down... make sure oh find a mechanic that has worked on the 2.25 engine as the rear main seal is a little more complicated than a " traditional" american motors seal. What makes it complicated is replacing the cork seal on the rear bearing cap without damaging it. Also invest in a couple of pairs of the cork tseals because the mechanic will undoubtedly damage the first pair. Good luck!!