PDA

View Full Version : 1985 109 vs 1970 88

Skookumchuck
03-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Well my deal of the log house for the Rover fell through the purchaser is moving to California. So anyway I have one of two options available to me. I can purchase a Series III 109 pick up ex-mod LHD with a 2.5 na Diesel and I have the sides and a safari top availabe for it for $350.00. Or I go for a 1970 Series II 88 currently with the 2.25 but the owner has a 200 TDI that I ca get with it. The TDI is out of a defender and comes with the Defender Trany and transfere case. The issue with the 200TDI is that it appears that it has a dropped valve. When you turn the motor over by hand it only rotates so far and then it stops but you can rotate it the other direction freely until it stops again. So it at least needs to have the heads pulled and a valve job done. The 88 runs the way it is and it also comes with a pickup cap and safari top. I guess the other option is to buy the 88 and have the other owner sell me his spare 2.5 na. WAY TO MANY QUESTIONS:eek:

So the question is which of these two would give me the best ride and be the better toy. thanks for the imput.

I Leak Oil
03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
If it were me and the frames, bulkheads, and prices were all comparable, I'd go with the 109".

Jim-ME
03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
I am very happy with my 88 and would only consider a 109 if I could own two Rovers. Unfortunately that is not ot be.
Jim

SafeAirOne
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
If the condition of the 2 trucks were equal, I'd rather go with the 109 and a known good 2.5D than the 88 with a known bad 200Tdi.

I figure the dead 200Tdi has the exact same horsepower and MPG numbers as a dead Briggs and Stratton go-kart engine.

Terrys
03-30-2011, 01:33 PM
I figure the dead 200Tdi has the exact same horsepower and MPG numbers as a dead Briggs and Stratton go-kart engine.
That's harsh.
Skookumchuck, buy both. Any serious series owner needs to have a spares yard. If that isn't to be, I'd go the 109 route too.
The 200 Tdi will very liekly need a new head ($$$), piston and who knows what the walls look like.

Skookumchuck
03-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Both trucks are the same price $5K. I also just got a call for a 1976 SeriesII frame up restoration will a coil and disc brake conversion for $12K it has a roverdrive in it and a rebuilt 2.5 l motor. Now I am having to think way too hard. If the 109 was a 5 door it would be a no brainer but it is a truck with a tailgate. My wife would kill me if I bought both.

luckyjoe
03-30-2011, 02:37 PM
...but it is a truck with a tailgate.

Those are usually the best ones :thumb-up:

I Leak Oil
03-30-2011, 02:46 PM
My wife would kill me if I bought both.

Umm...only if you tell her.:D

cousindave
03-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Spend the 12k. You wont regret it. Just think, you can drive it without worrying about rotten frames questionable brakes, electrical rats nests, rotten bulkheads, bad tranny's.......... the list goes on and on.....

SafeAirOne
03-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Spend the 12k. You wont regret it. Just think, you can drive it without worrying about rotten frames questionable brakes, electrical rats nests, rotten bulkheads, bad tranny's.......... the list goes on and on.....

Where's the "adventure" in that? :)

I Leak Oil
03-31-2011, 04:49 AM
My first memories of my first rover was driving it down Rt. 9 in mass, barely any brakes and discovering the hard way that I'd disturbed a wasps nest!
If you just go buy a truck your first memory will be that of visiting the bank for a check. Why do that? When you own a rover you'll have lots of chances to repeat that process!

Seriously though, go with what you're most comfortable with.

SalemRover
03-31-2011, 06:47 AM
If you could swing it I would get the 12k 88 and start saving for a 5 door donor vehicle. Money seems better spent up front on these "hobbies".

-Jason

gudjeon
03-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Oh, to have such a dilemma!:D

Skookumchuck
03-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Trying to get the wife to agree to the $12k 1976 88, but she is trying to get me to go with the 1985 109 for 5K. I really like all the upgrades to the 88 but I want the diesel in the 109......Anyone need a rebuilt 2.5 petro motor? Maybe I need to sell th eMustang convertable to get thediesel and put it inot the 88.....:D

Skookumchuck
03-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Going with the rebuilt 88 for 12K. had to sell the mustang convertable to get it done, but flying out to pick up the Rover on Wednesday. I will post pics when I get her home.:thumb-up:

I Leak Oil
03-31-2011, 03:55 PM
It takes a brave soul to step into the madness!

Skookumchuck
03-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Here is what he has done to it.

"1976 Landrover Series 3 for sale, daily driver!

Updates with: galvanized chassis, safari roof, Fairy overdriver, interior perfect, exterior has a few corrossion spots at the bottom of the doors but only surface(normal for landrover), built in tool box in the rear between the seats, seats 3 up front or keep the goodies box between the seats, new front bumper and front left panel, mechanicallyand electrically sound, services at Rover Tech in North Van( they can provide details), 2 spares, all tires in great shape, disk brakes up front and drums in the rear, transmission overhauled in late 90's by Rover Tech. 34 000 miles on the clock since the engine was overhauled in England, coil springs added for comfort and better off roading.

All restoration of this vehicle was done in England, including switching the steering wheel over to the left side. Imported to Canada in 95 buy the person who owned it in England.

Only selling as I want to possibly buy a LWB Landrover!

This vehicle is sound and I drive it every day to work and back. Not a day goes by that someone does not stop and ask me about it!"

cousindave
03-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Jesus! I probably have 12k into my 88 and it doesn, t look half way near as good as this!! Good luck!

mrdoiron
03-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Jesus! I probably have 12k into my 88 and it doesn, t look half way near as good as this!! Good luck!

very nice new family member... keeper.

bmohan55
04-01-2011, 07:47 AM

Me too...and my engine is out of it!

Skookumchuck
04-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Me too...and my engine is out of it!

I want to put in a 200TDi so if you need a motor this one has a good one:). The hardest part of the decision on which rover to get was the diesel motor options in the other trucks. I was set on getting the diesel. So now I am going to just pick up the 200 TDI and pull the heads and if needed have them redone.

rickv100
04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Congrats on the new rover. Why are you replacing the original engine with a diesel? I would think the cost of the diesel installation is going to offset any savings in the price of fuel.

Rick

albersj51
04-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Skookum, just to help a fellow rover owner, you can ship the rebuilt 2.5 to me so you don't have to trip on it ;)

Skookumchuck
04-01-2011, 02:35 PM
I want a diesel so I can brew my own fuel. A galon of gas up here is over $4.40, diesel is over $4.69. If i burn diesel and make my own I can drive around for only $0.95 per gallon. I am getting rid of all of my gas vehicles and I am only going to run diesels. My sawmill and mill equipment are all diesel as well so it makes good economics to do it. the only gas motors left on th eplace will be the boat motors.:D

LaneRover
04-01-2011, 02:40 PM
I have heard the old Rover diesel fuel pumps don't like bio-diesel or veggie oil.

Skookumchuck
04-01-2011, 05:06 PM
If you properly produce clean fuel it shouldn't be a problem. There might be an issue with some gaskets or lines that may have to be upgraded but I will have to check that out the whole reason for the diesel is to go with bio-fuel. Does anyone on here have any experince with burning bio-diesel in a 200 TDI? Any help is appreciated.:thumb-up:

SalemRover
04-01-2011, 06:33 PM
The old Lucas CAV type pumps in the 2.25, 2.5 and 2.5t diesel engines do not like the lower viscosity of straight veg oil. Biodiesel is less of a risk and if you use a fuel additive along with it you should be fine running bio. Hard to say all your diesel lines and other gaskets, fuel pump, etc. will be fine with it *BUT* bio should not pose a great risk to the lucas cav pump. With all that said the 200 tdi uses a different pump that I have read as being more robust and tolerant of both straight veg and biodiesel. Maybe some tdi owners can chime in.

-Jason

Terrys
04-02-2011, 06:24 AM
This topic has come up time and again over on LRO, and I posted this article a few times.

http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#3biod

The CAV should have no issues whatsoever with Bio, and according to a friend, who works at Stanadyne, which is near here, SVO shouldn't be an issue either.
I had run Bio in my '87 300TD wagon for a a couple of years. She's retired now but still runs like new. (with no leaks to speak of)