PDA

View Full Version : Rust Oleum

rejeep
04-01-2011, 03:11 PM
anybody have any firsthand experience with this product?
I want to use it to paint the capping on my 109..
says it works best over galvy surfaces.. wonder how it would do on plain old painted capping?

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7585838-Professional-Galvanizing-Compound/dp/B00106H68W

masonater
04-01-2011, 03:16 PM
I have used spray cans and brush on. I think the brush on is a much better product...stuff i sprayed looked like crap within a year. Stuff i brushed still looks great.

rejeep
04-02-2011, 11:05 AM
any idea where to look for this stuff locally?
home depot was a no..

masonater
04-02-2011, 12:26 PM
amazon has it

bkreutz
04-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Odd,
Home Depot out here has it, maybe try Lowes (or any similar home store) it's a pretty established brand.

lrdukdog
04-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Well Home Depot has it here in VA. I would try Lowes or a local paint store.
Jim Wolf

Walker
04-02-2011, 05:13 PM
I used the spray stuff about five years ago to do some touch-ups on the capping. It is all in the preparations sand lightly to remove the rust - clean with acetone - dry -paint. I got mine at a store called Orchard Supply in CA. Good luck with your project.:thumb-up:

Art

rejeep
04-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Well seems the staff at home depot A was either uninformed, lazy, or both..
On a whim and thanks to the posts above I checked out another one close by and they had quite the selection...
Picked up 2 cans of the stuff...
Going to play with it a bit, but plan on doing the capping and other odds and ends with it...

LaneRover
04-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Well seems the staff at home depot A was either uninformed, lazy, or both..

Though occasionally they prove me wrong I don't see this as being much different than many Home Depots.

Terrys
04-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Well seems the staff at home depot A was either uninformed, lazy, or both.

I thought Walmart had an exclusive on them, but I guess I'm wrong.

LaneRover
04-03-2011, 08:04 AM
I thought Walmart had an exclusive on them, but I guess I'm wrong.

Walmart has the first draft choice

kevkon
04-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Try Grainger

rejeep
04-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Picked up a few cans and tested them out on the middle door capping.. Came out much flatter than expected.. I was picturing something more in line with galvanized metal...

Oh well strike one...

I wonder of this is paintable? It might serve as a good primer base for a more attractive color top coat.

kevkon
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Aren't there two versions and one is bright?

yorker
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Picked up a few cans and tested them out on the middle door capping.. Came out much flatter than expected.. I was picturing something more in line with galvanized metal...

Oh well strike one...

I wonder of this is paintable? It might serve as a good primer base for a more attractive color top coat.

Ahhh! you thought it would look like galvanizing? It just looks like flat grey primer... I have top coated other brands just fine before. I think some people use silver hammerite to dress up rusty cappings- it is a bodge but not uncommon.

Wander
04-05-2011, 12:49 PM
If your looking for a galvy-esque look try Kryon hammered finish-I've heard from several that it is the best looking. The other option is to just have the capping re-dipped in galvy which isn't very pricey at all.

rejeep
04-05-2011, 12:56 PM
ohh believe me.. its not the cost thats steering me away..
The door cappings are easy, in fact im looking at them right as i type..
its the rear sections and the vertical bits that im not looking to add on the project list..

I may mess around with the hammered effect colors..
I have some people in the Jeep world telling me it looks great on their roll bars, bumpers, whatever and holds up well as long as the brush on stuff is used...

singingcamel
04-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Rustoleum has a hammered paint that looks more like galvinizing.. That will look like flat light colored primer..

MerlynIIa
05-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Hello all, I purchased the rustoleum cold galvanizing spray from amazon just before I read about using hammerite. went ahead and used the spray, testing it on a couple of gas filler surrounds. it came out looking like flat gray primer. i then burnished the right one with turtle wax rubbing compound which i think improved the look quite a bit. it is now more like aged galvanized metal. Attached is a pic of one gas filler surround with half of it painted with the spray and not burnished. the one on the right is completely done.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35396922@N06/5691775790/

ShootingCar
05-09-2011, 06:41 AM
where do you find the brush on Rustoleum. I have only seen the spray on. For small touch ups I would prefer to use a brush on where I wouldnt have to mask it, etc. What is the final bestest galv. matching color then?

thanks,
Jeff

morgant
05-09-2011, 10:00 AM
where do you find the brush on Rustoleum. I have only seen the spray on. For small touch ups I would prefer to use a brush on where I wouldnt have to mask it, etc. What is the final bestest galv. matching color then?

Many places carry have it, but I tend to find that they don't have a great selection (compared to rattle cans; for example, I could only find white primer locally on short notice). If you go to the Rustoleum website and click the Locate a Reseller (http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGCorporate.asp?sn=lr) link, that'll help you find stores to start calling/checking.

luckyjoe
05-09-2011, 12:15 PM
I did not like the spray-on Rustoleum stuff, but I really like the brush-on ZRC cold galvy compound (http://www.zrcworldwide.com/p_zrc.asp).

mrdoiron
05-09-2011, 04:23 PM
I did not like the spray-on Rustoleum stuff, but I really like the brush-on ZRC cold galvy compound (http://www.zrcworldwide.com/p_zrc.asp).
I've used this also. Like it a lot....

mike