PDA

View Full Version : 1970 SII new frame and motor

Skookumchuck
04-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Im my quest to find a rover to buy I came across this 1970 Series II with a new galvinized frame, rebuilt motor and a new Roverdrive overdrive for only $4200 I already have the 76 series III on hold wich it totaly done up but 8K in savings has me thinking so here I go again which one???????

Terrys
04-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Have you put eyeballs on this one? One pic shows someone has added an extra fuel fill, presumably to a left side tank. Another shows an S3 front grill and windscreen, and the third shows an S2A dash and bulkhead interior. Gives me the impression it was someone's project build. That can be good, or not.

Skookumchuck
04-03-2011, 08:43 AM
the pictures are of both the trucks the Series II 4K and one of the Series III for 12 K I will post some more pics of the Series II and then repost the Series III as seperate posts

These are the series II

artpeck
04-03-2011, 08:43 AM
I would say that the first two photos are not of the same truck or are but different points in time since the wheels are different, there isn't the left side fuel fill and the roof looks different.

Skookumchuck
04-03-2011, 08:44 AM
More of the Series II

Skookumchuck
04-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Here is the series III, the question is is it worth the extra 8K to have the finsihed interior, coils and disk brakes. Both of the trucks have overdrive, rebuilt motors and new galvanized frames.

siii8873
04-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I would say it depends on your wants. Do you want a truck to get in a drive with only typical mainteneance (would exect that for that price) SIII, or something to tinker with with ~8K to play with. With the engine and frame done harder more involved stuff done. Interior stuff is pretty easy work.
Also the 70 probably is not a syncronised gear box while the SIII is.
All personal preferences.

bkreutz
04-03-2011, 10:08 AM
It's going to be very difficult to decide from a distance. Descriptions are nice, but nothing replaces an "in person" inspection. There can be a multitude of reasons for the big variation in prices, beginning with the expectations of the seller and ending with actual differences in condition. (and everything in between). Personally I always view seller descriptions with a grain of salt (actually the whole shaker:D).

siii8873
04-03-2011, 10:37 AM
I agree with being hesitant about sellers descriptions. I've looked at vehicles where the pictures sent to me had to be 10+ years old, nothing like current condition. Also for some reason pictures seem to look better than an actual look. Nothing beats kicking the tires in person.
Not to be negative but I bought a truck with a "rebuilt engine" and the crank bearings failed in less than a year. I also have found out that everyones definition of "Rust Free", "Great Condition" is different.
Decisions decisions!
Good luck

Terrys
04-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Ive had so many of these trucks, it's rediculous, but I've always prefered 2As to 3s. I have a '73 now and the hunt is on for an older replacement.
$8k will buy a lot of improvements, not to mention the fun doing them yourself.

cousindave
04-03-2011, 11:14 AM
I would say that get underneath both trucks and check the frames THOROUGHLY then check _the bulkheads THOROUGHLY. Engines and transmissions are easy to repair or rebuild. But try repairing a rotten bulkhead or frame and you' re in for a long repair. Patched frames are ok as long as the work is sound.....But those damn bulkheads!!!!

Skookumchuck
04-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Both frames are new galvanized and I know of both trucks through other contacts the 12K truck is mint the Series II is in average condition but rust free on the bulkhead and footwells. It is just the question of how much time am I going to have to do the interior and paint or do I just buy the finished truck and drive it.:( I will probably finaly make the desicion after looking each one over next week. Just with the extra $8K I can got buy a new rifel or too and new motor for the boat.....ect.:D

cousindave
04-03-2011, 09:03 PM
You have my friend what I have always dreamed about!!! A win- win decision!!!! I have owned three series vehicles so far and everyone has been a project. They have been fun, but man, sometimes I wish I could buy one completely done. My latest rig has been one aggravation after another and I am getting sick of fixing someone else's screw ups. My major gripe with all three series is rust rust rust. I think I have more welding experience fixing these rigs then even the land rover factory welders originally tasked to weld. This is a tough but great decision ahead: buy a like factory new series or save the 8k and purchase a strong foundation and do what you will with it.. The only thing is that 4k is REALLY cheap for new galvy chassis and rust free bulkhead. In new york I would easily pay 8k for a series with new galvy chassis a rust free bulkhead. If it truly is what the seller says it is, I would steer towards the 4k rig. Good luck you lucky sob!!