PDA

View Full Version : Dicing with Death and 1200 lbs of Dirt.

Apis Mellifera
04-03-2011, 09:30 PM
My wife and I had a baby on Jan. 8th and while she was off on maternity leave, I put our '73 88 in storage and got a loaner Accord for her. She went back to work last week so I went to retrieve the Rover last Saturday. Having not been used for three months, the truck started and ran well. Fluids checked/filled and gas tank topped off, I loaded a Bugeye Sprite bonnet on the roof, and headed the 263 miles home.

During the week, my 2.5 year old son and I loaded up on sandbox fixings from Lowe's and carried them home. Yesterday, he and I went to a model train show and then for a drive around to give my wife a break. This afternoon, he was napping and I had a work party at church, so I went out solo.

I stopped by Lowe's afterwards, and loaded 30 40# bags of top soil in the back. The drive home from Lowe's takes me down a very long, very steep hill ending at a Tee intersection with a stop light. I noticed the brakes were a little ineffective at the bottom, but I assumed it was the extra weight. The rest of the drive is basically flat and when I got home I decided to check the brake fluid. It was a little dark, but otherwise OK. I noticed some crazing in the bottom of the plastic reservoir. I touched it and it was soft and when I removed my finger, the crazing became wet! Then brake fluid started to drip out. I'm confident that if I touched it again a little harder, I could push my finger through the side of the reservoir. My son asked if we could go for a ride. I told him we couldn't because the Land Rover is broken. He understands broken, but he doesn't understand how lucky we've been. New MC on order!

SafeAirOne
04-03-2011, 09:55 PM
...Didn't know BritPart made brake fluid reservoirs... :p

daveb
04-04-2011, 12:44 PM
the plastic reservoirs get damaged by UV radiation entering between the bonnet and the fender top. it happens. how old was the M/C. BTW you can get a new reservoir only. good luck getting the old one out though. it is doable but very difficult.

additionally, the damage to the reservoir would not have any effect on the braking ability, until such time as the brake fluid all leaks out. So, your brake system may need some work. Of course, with all that weight you may have just been slightly overloaded.

Terrys
04-04-2011, 02:00 PM
BTW you can get a new reservoir only. good luck getting the old one out though. it is doable but very difficult.

Mine was all crumbly right at that spot too, right above the joint line. I was sure I had seen the reservoirs, but neither RN or RDS had them. I ended up just getting one of the aftermarket MCs from George. Now watch, everyone will have them.

stomper
04-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I can't remember who, but someone posted a photo of a master cylinder resivior they made out of a metal PVC cement bottle. I remember it from about a year ago, and tought it looked really neat. does anyone remember it? I can't find it in a quick search.

stomper
04-04-2011, 02:31 PM
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9211

here it is!

Apis Mellifera
04-04-2011, 05:22 PM
The MC is the original 30-odd year old part, so I just bought a new one. If new reservoirs are available, I'd like to know where. The old one is rebuildable and would make a good spare.

I think the braking ability will improve with fluid in the reservoir, that's been my experience anyway, but the weight was a factor too.

Twenty years ago when I was a sophomore in high school and my wife and I were dating, I replaced the brake pads on my mother-in-law's Nissan. She drove around all day and when she pulled in to the garage that evening, the brake pedal went to the floor as she stopped. My father-in-law inspected the cause and apparently I'd mis-routed the flexible brake hose and the rotor eventually rubbed a hole in it. Fortunately, it happened when it did, but part of me wonders... Ah,water under the bridge.

Since I'm too lazy to go fetch my shop manual right now, does the MC just pop off the booster once the two nuts are removed? Any tips/tricks/while-you're-at-its?

Matt

lrdukdog
04-04-2011, 10:33 PM
http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/ah/full.aspx?Page=56

My invoice is in the mail:)
Jim Wolf

lrdukdog
04-04-2011, 10:35 PM
"If new reservoirs are available, I'd like to know where." http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/ah/full.aspx?Page=56

Jim Wolf

Terrys
04-05-2011, 07:34 AM
"If new reservoirs are available, I'd like to know where." http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/ah/full.aspx?Page=56

Jim Wolf
I don't see the one we're talking 'bout

Terrys
04-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Since I'm too lazy to go fetch my shop manual right now, does the MC just pop off the booster once the two nuts are removed?
Yup, just about that easy.