PDA

View Full Version : door seals

rejeep
04-06-2011, 05:02 PM
for better or for worse i decided to go with the rivet on stripping for my 109..
i got everything in hand and am planning to install this weekend..
does anybody have experience with installing these?
what size rivets work best..
I looked at he catalog and got wowed by all the different measurements required. The one problem I think I might have is that I drilled the old ones out.. in some cases I prob took some of the metal off the body (enlarged the hole)..
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

cousindave
04-06-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure if they were original, but the rivets that I removed off of my series was 3/16". With your second problem you could try rivet washers or you could weld up the hole and drill new holes. Just a thought. Good luck!

stonefox
04-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Arie,
I found that I had to have a slight variety of sizes because of different size holes. Also lengths are slightly different depending on where the rivets land ,like on a seam .Now with that said these variation are very small and really dont matter except on the final look of the rivet which in most cases you cant see anyway.If they are too short they wont work if they are too long they look like crap. Best advice I can give is get a couple small boxes at a hardware store and do some test ones in hidden spots.I had to redrill out ones that didn't finish nicely and redo.

luckyjoe
04-07-2011, 07:34 AM
I believe the correct rivet for door seals is a 3/16 semi-tubular (truss head). I have to check on the length though. I think (hope) it's 3/8 long, as that's what I have from my roof gutter...

singingcamel
04-07-2011, 09:28 AM
3/16 are the ones, should cover the job , no different lenghts needed.,Make sure you have a goog Rivet gun and a good grip..
The ones near the lower front door are a little nasty , push hard .

rejeep
04-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks...
Got a few prices in today as tests...
Was a bit slow going at first but picked up as I got into a rhythm.
Determining what prices go where is like half the battle...

pgeorgeson
05-02-2011, 12:44 AM
I need to do mine. How about some pics and any tips. Also, Did you get the seals from our host?

rejeep
05-02-2011, 07:35 AM
i can take some pics..

only tip would be dont put your roof rack on....
that way it can fit in the garage when it rains.