PDA

View Full Version : bleeding brakes on a series III

cousindave
04-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I replaced the brake lines on my series III, bled the brakes starting with furthest from the master cylinder and working in. The brakes felt like my old m3!! Awesome! I start her up go for a ride and its a two pump proposition. I had the same problem before I replaced the lines. Should I have bled the brakes with the series running? Since it has a brake booster. Also checked every connection and no leaks. I turn the landy off and the brakes are rock solid again. Any suggestions?

Mercedesrover
04-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Adjust them.

Welcome to the neighborhood. Not too far from you in Cornwall, Ct.

SafeAirOne
04-06-2011, 08:03 PM
109 or 88?

artpeck
04-06-2011, 08:12 PM
You can bleed with the engine off just fine. For what it is worth I fought the two pump gremlin on my 88" S3 for a few months after replacing the springs. Had new master and slaves on all four wheels andbthe brakes were perfect until the spring change. I finally isolated which wheel was the issue by clamping brake lines until I had a firm pedal. Turned out a fairly new slave had failed. Try clamping to isolated the problem. Also make sure all the bleed nipples are tight.

cousindave
04-07-2011, 05:24 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Going to hit it again this morning.
Safeairone: she's an 88
artpeck: thanks for the tip
Mercedesrover: I've read thru your website countless times! Now that I know you're so close, I'd d love to stop by your shop and drool over your rover!

artpeck
04-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Let me know if you have success. I have to say that this particular problem just about made me give up as I couldnt stand the brakes in particular not being right, I could figure out how it happened and it took me a while to fix it. Ultimatel the fix came from throwing parts at it. The other thing you might check is your shoes. Turned out mine were pretty worm and that caused the cylinders to over extend and ultimately fail quickly.

singingcamel
04-07-2011, 09:22 AM
You can clamp the 2 front flex lines, then bleed the back, then clamp the rear flex line near the rear end and bleed the fronts. Becareful and protect the lines with padding before clamping.
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)