PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

cousindave
04-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Sorry for the stupid question but head is so full of contempt for this truck that I have lost all ability to problem solve. Radiator hose looks like its going to pop and the radiator sprung a leak. I replaced the thermostat two months ago. Could it be the water pump?

artpeck
04-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Sounds like we are going through similar things. See if your radiator cap is functioning as it should relieve pressure through the overflow before it builds to that point. And or you may have a blockage somewhere. Have you fully flushed it the system. And by fully I had to do it through every opening beforenit was finally clean.

albersj51
04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
sounds like a pressure issue, like Art said. Correct me if I am wrong, but if the top hose is hot and ballooning it stands to reason that the water pump is working (coolant is flowing), right? Is the bottom hose cool or hot as well?

I agree with Art, check the rad cap and flush the system really well.

Sorry to hear of your troubles...it'll all work out in the end!

cousindave
04-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Just tested cap with a pressure tester and she hits right at 9 lbs. Also checked cooling system for leaks one found and repaired. Using pressure tester, tested to see if it could be head gasket or combustion it all tests fine. I guess the next step is to remove radiator.

cousindave
04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks, I'll check the bottom radiator hose first.... told you I wasn't thinking!

cousindave
04-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Ok, now we are getting somewhere,bottom hose is cool while top is hot. Temp gauge reading hot. Definately need to flush what's best way to do this?

albersj51
04-07-2011, 12:08 PM
May be a good time to flush it all. I'd pull the radiator, and run the hose through it. May want to consider taking it somewhere and getting it boiled. Then maybe run the hose through the block to get any crud out of there, too.

artpeck
04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
I tried flushing the normal way, ie through the top of the radiator and the drain plug. This didn't really get the job done. Ultimately flushed the heater core directly through the heater plumbing. I then flushed the block through the heater return and let if flow out the top of the radiator. I then flushed the block through the drain cock out the top of the radiator. Each time I got more gunk and ultimately it flowed cleanly. Pain in the a** but worth doing.

Donnie
04-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry for the stupid question but head is so full of contempt for this truck that I have lost all ability to problem solve. Radiator hose looks like its going to pop and the radiator sprung a leak. I replaced the thermostat two months ago. Could it be the water pump?
Dave, drain all your coolant, then look into the top of the rad. & see if you see any white powder around the tubes.If your rad has a baffle there U will have to pull the rad to see the tubes.Brass radiators are subject to this cond. known as solder bloom, this will close off some of your tubes causing overheat. The best way to reassure yourself of a rad problem is to find an old time rad shop that has been in bus. 4 at least 30 years, They have the experience of rodding these rad's that a lot of late comers do not want to do. They can remove the top tank & using a rod that resembles a dipstick actually clean & inspect each & every tube.. Make sure that all grounds for your ele. system are intact.
Change your coolant every 3 or 4 years, even if it tests to -35 deg., the corrosion inhibitors break down and reactions occur..also use a brand name coolant as some of the cheaper coolants lack the needed chemicals, you can also buy an inexpensive kit from NAPA & other markets to test for combustion gas' in your coolant if U suspect a crack or gasket problem. I may not have answered your question, but simply provided some advise that others may find helpful.................Donnie

cousindave
04-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks Donnie. Any and all advice and or experience is much appreciated!!!