PDA

View Full Version : Shipping from UK to Boston (co-loading)

The Stranger
04-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi all,
I'm bringing a 110 from UK (Ipswich port) to Boston at the end of the month (or slightly before) and would consider splitting (co-loading) a 40' container. It would be cheaper than RoRo!

There is still time to make the arrangements because I haven't booked with the shipper yet. I'm using ACC http://www.accworldwide.com/home/index.html and using Kuehne & Nagel here in Boston as a Customs Broker. You will coordinate all your own Customs and be responsible for clearing whatever you bring over.

Otherwise, I'll get a 20' container and find some other Rover parts to bring over.

PM me if you're serious (actually, I'm not sure of the forum rules - I'm new here and may not have enough posts to receive PMs), but we'll find a way to connect if you're serious.

derekchace
04-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I would be interested in adding a Sankey trailer to your container if you would be interested.

The Stranger
04-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I would be interested in adding a Sankey trailer to your container if you would be interested.

What are the dimensions? the Defender 110 will take up approximately 17'.
Unless the sankey is broken down into parts & crated, that would probably put us into a 40' container (which is not a problem, but I'd expect a pro-rated split of costs as opposed to you just paying unloading fees, or "chassis fees" and your customs if we stuck with a 20' container).

i.e.-if a 20' container costs $3,000, plus another $500 to bring it to the terminal warehouse for unloading, the only thing you'd be paying would be $500 plus your customs duty/bonding. Again, you'd be responsible for proper crating, strapping and arranging transport to the Ipswich warehouse owned by ACC.

(I was also reminded that any blocking or crating material must be either plastic/rubber or IPPC-approved and stamped in order to be allowed into the US - I think it is a foreign pest precautions with any foreign wood they're worried about)

If a 40' container costs $3,500 and your sankey takes up 25% of the space, you'd pay $875 plus 25% of chassis fee ($125) plus your own customs-related fees. You pay the shipper directly, I'm only facilitating the arrangment. I also strongly recommend using a Custom's Broker even though you are only bringing in "vehicle parts" - but that's up to you.

That's rough math, but I think that still works out to be pretty fair.

Either way, I'm sure it would save us both some money.
Look into (the dimensions and crating) it and try to PM me. Obviously, if the sankey can be disassembled and properly packaged to fit in the 20' container, that's a home-run in terms of shipping costs fro you. If you cannot PM me I'll post my gmail address and we can start working out the details.

How local are you to Boston? Not important, just curious.

Broadstone
04-09-2011, 10:28 AM
My 110 was only around $1500 for RORO, would have to check the paperwork for the exact cost. I also did all paperwork and cleared customs myself and it was simple not worth the agent fees if you ask me.

The Stranger
04-09-2011, 10:30 AM
FYI - here is the quote.

Many may shake their head and ask why would I agree to hemmorhage cash by using a container instead of RoRo?

The container shipping is easily double the cost of going RoRo to Newark or Baltimore:mad:, but I'm too busy to take a day or two monkeying around driving halfway down the East Coast, renting a trailer (or paying yet another shipping company $1,000 to transport from Baltimore or NY to my house). Time = Money.

I'm bummed it costs so much to bring a container into Boston, but after factoring in the time and/or shipping from other ports, I'll only be paying another $500-$1,000 to go to Boston. I've shipped numerous cars all over this country and the reputable shippers (that own their own trucks) and are responsible, adhere to a schedule etc. are not cheap.

Plus, if there is some type of a hiccup or issue with Customs, I'd rather be 45 minutes from the terminal instead of a 5-hour drive.

Broadstone
04-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I am in Ct and had mine shipped into port of NY which is 2 hours from the house. Is the vehicle not drivable? I drove ours from the port to my house. In my case it was legally registered to my wife on its French plates, but I also had it insured with a policy here. If the vehicle is in your name (V5 if from U.K.) that vehicle along with its registration number is registered to you. So you are technically registered and would just need proof of insurance. Should you get stopped you cannot get pinched for being un-registered or un-insured because you would have proof of both. If I were you I would ship it to NY RORO grab a buddy and make a day out of it, guys on this forum have gone a lot further with newly purchased trucks.

In regards to customs be sure the vehicle is cleared for release before taking the trip. Our truck was held by Customs Contr^b^nd Enforcement Team for 2 weeks before release. Goes to show they are not stupid and do research these imported trucks, those vin swap folks are taking their chances and may run into trouble. We also did not have to pay any duty on the vehicle because we owned it for 2 years prior to shipping (I think over 6 months is free of duty).

EdH
04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
How about a designa chassis or two?

The Stranger
04-14-2011, 05:43 PM
How about a designa chassis or two?

Sorry, I've just made arrangments to co-load a 40' container.

Bummer - That would have worked out though (I think the frame would probably slide under or perhaps to the side as long it was packaged to protect the vehicle).

Are you definately going to Boston with you frame or anywhere in the northeast? I only ask because I could inquire if there's room on the 40' container my truck will be on - it's just that I'm no longer arranging the shipping transport so it's outside my control.

EdH
04-14-2011, 11:47 PM
I am about to order one,but it won't be ready this month. I'll try to start a group buy, shipped to anywhere northeast would be good.
Thanks

The Stranger
04-15-2011, 10:07 AM
I am about to order one,but it won't be ready this month. I'll try to start a group buy, shipped to anywhere northeast would be good.
Thanks

Maybe it won't work on this shipment, but keep me in mind in your group buy. I may be accumulating some spares and other bulky items such as doors, roll cage etc. that would be great to co-load. Thankfully, I won't be needing a frame any time soon.

Doesnt matter what port it goes to, as long as it won't be a hassle to arrange transport to Boston.

PM me when you're thinking of doing a group buy (or more aptly..group container) . (I won't be checking the board frequently, but I'll get an email notice if I have a PM)