PDA

View Full Version : Rust Inducing Tub Box

JackIIA
04-08-2011, 05:16 PM
What is the point of this steel box on the underside of the 88 tub? I really hadn't thought about it, but it is not a storage bin. You can see what looks like a spigot on it. Given the rust, it certainly looks original. Anyone else have this, or know the deal?

Thanks.

Broadstone
04-08-2011, 05:42 PM
That was to meet the emissions standards back in the day. Had to do with the charcoal filter and recirculation of fumes. All combined to Land Rover pulling out of the North American market. Someone will likely have more details.

TedW
04-08-2011, 05:44 PM
That looks like the expansion tank to trap gas vapors. I took mine off my '70 and never looked back.

lrdukdog
04-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Didn't some MOD Rovers have an oil reservoir in that area for the oil or trans/transfercase cooler? I have seen diagrams I think of this set-up.
Jim Wolf

stonefox
04-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Its a hidden compartment for smuggling contraband across the border:D

JackIIA
04-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Weird, but that would explain the plastic tubing that runs from the general gas tank area and stops on the right side of the tub.

So, once you pull the tank, do you run a stub tube up near the filler neck...or just block off wherever it originally feeds from?

TedW
04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Weird, but that would explain the plastic tubing that runs from the general gas tank area and stops on the right side of the tub.

So, once you pull the tank, do you run a stub tube up near the filler neck...or just block off wherever it originally feeds from?

IIRC I just blocked it all off. Twenty years on and I'm still finding old hose sections to get rid of.

Once you do all that you need to remember to drill a little vent hole on the inside center of your gas cap. Otherwise your fuel pump will try to create a vacuum and your sled will die.

crankin
04-11-2011, 02:29 PM
IIRC I just blocked it all off. Twenty years on and I'm still finding old hose sections to get rid of.

Once you do all that you need to remember to drill a little vent hole on the inside center of your gas cap. Otherwise your fuel pump will try to create a vacuum and your sled will die.

In a little more detail. You block it off at the tank. You can get rid of all that hose...But make sure that your gas cap holes are clear and clean to release pressure build up. You can get the gas caps from our host that has the holes built in...if yours does not.

JackIIA
04-11-2011, 04:50 PM
sounds like I could also just keep a short run of that hose and vent it on the underside of the tub (with a "j fitting" at the end to keep water out) too, instead of drilling the fuel cap. right?

pulled it out. it's an interesting design. not sure if it was filled with charcoal or what. looks like it may have had a sponge of some sort in it and a galvanized interior. the steel did a number on the tub. add that to the list of welding i guess.

bkreutz
04-11-2011, 06:17 PM
sounds like I could also just keep a short run of that hose and vent it on the underside of the tub (with a "j fitting" at the end to keep water out) too, instead of drilling the fuel cap. right?

pulled it out. it's an interesting design. not sure if it was filled with charcoal or what. looks like it may have had a sponge of some sort in it and a galvanized interior. the steel did a number on the tub. add that to the list of welding i guess.
If you're going to put a vent hose on there, make sure you route the hose up higher than you plan to fill the tank (if you are a top off type, make that level with the top of the filler neck) otherwise you'll get a fuel leak when you fill up.

JackIIA
04-11-2011, 06:32 PM
If you're going to put a vent hose on there, make sure you route the hose up higher than you plan to fill the tank (if you are a top off type, make that level with the top of the filler neck) otherwise you'll get a fuel leak when you fill up.

DOH! Good point. I think it would be OK given the tub's position, but hadn't thought of it. Thanks Gale, Clint, Ted.

siii8873
04-11-2011, 07:36 PM
the original system ran a hose from the tank to this box (expansion chamber I think). From then the hose went to a charcoal canister in the engine compartment on the left top of bulkhead footwell. From there I think it may have been connected to the carb / intake manifold.
I can vouch for putting a hole in the gas cap. I lost my original gas cap and had all kinds of trouble keeping the truck running until I put a hole in the gas cap.

JackIIA
04-12-2011, 08:52 AM
OK. Maybe I won't try and reinvent the wheel. Assuming I remember when I get to it, a hole in the cap seems to be the way to go. I guess if I forget, I'll remember when I stall out.

Thanks for the details on the routing. I was looking at the tubing running every which way and thinking what the heck is this all about. Now I get it, somewhat.