PDA

View Full Version : adjusting pedal height (throttle)

rejeep
04-08-2011, 05:41 PM
while the truck was in paint.. unsure how my throttle pedal managed to go from "high" and out of adjustment to hitting the top of the bulkhead and way out of proportion. I know the pedal height can be adjusted in the linkage I was wondering if somebody can point me in the right direction before i start scratching my head.
I have a rochester carb on the 2.25 if it makes any difference...

jac04
04-08-2011, 05:56 PM
There is a clamp bolt on the pedal. Here's what I did:
1. Loosen the clamp bolt
2. Fully open the throttle on the carb & hold it there (get creative with a zip tie, duct tape, coat hanger, etc.)
3. Fully depress the pedal until it hits the stop bolt (IIRC, some vehicles might not have a stop bolt, so you might need to depress until it hits the floor).
4. Tighten the clamp bolt.
5. Revove whatever you did in step 2.
6. Check to make sure that the throttle fully opens & closes as you depress & release the pedal.

scott_b
04-08-2011, 07:14 PM
3. Fully depress the pedal until it hits the stop bolt (IIRC, some vehicles might not have a stop bolt, so you might need to depress until it hits the floor).

My first car was a VW Beetle. I was hell-on-wheels* so the engine was in and out of the car frequently. When it came time to hook the accelerator cable back up, my dad (and mechanic) would tell me to press the gas pedal to the floor. I was always afraid that he wouldn't open the carb wide open to slow me down, so I would only press the pedal down half-way while he hooked up the cable, that way, it was guaranteed to be wide open when I put it to the floor. He never could figure out why I kept breaking accelerator cables. :D

*If there is such a thing as hell-on-wheels in a Beetle.

stonefox
04-08-2011, 09:08 PM
So ,I see this used by others as shorthand .... IIRC.... ?

albersj51
04-08-2011, 09:30 PM
IIRC= If I Remember Correctly