PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mt Procomp Shocks Help Needed

artpeck
04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I installed paras and RM Procomp shocks on my S3 88. Did it several weeks ago and only now sorting out that the truck sits uneven. Stupid me didn't see that there were two different pairs of shocks for front and rear and I mixed them up. I contacted RM to sort it out but haven't heard back. Any chance anyone knows the part numbers for the front versus rear shocks. And no there website doesn't help as the part numbers noted here are different. Thanks!

martindktm
04-11-2011, 01:09 PM
The longer one should be the rear one?

jac04
04-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes, the rear shocks will be longer. By sitting uneven, do you mean that the rear is higher than the front? The rear will normally sit a little higher with paras, but my experience is that RM springs will cause the rear to sit really high, even with the 2-leaf rears.

Cutter
04-11-2011, 02:06 PM
If you mean side to side uneven, I think you would have noticed that before. Something about designed for RHD driver weight, mine certainly tilts to the left.

jac04
04-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Something about designed for RHD driver weight, ...
Original factory springs were 'handed', but replacement aftermarket parabolics are not (at least I know RM and RN paras are not handed).

Cutter
04-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Original factory springs were 'handed', but replacement aftermarket parabolics are not (at least I know RM and RN paras are not handed).

great, something else to fix, its running RN paras I believe and OME shocks. Perhaps artpeck and I are having similar issues, my suspension work came that way from the PO, assumed it was supposed to be that way...

Cutter
04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1943&highlight=tilted+side&page=2

past thread on crookedness

I have to pull a wheel to see if it is bent or the bearings are going in the back so I'll maybe pull the springs and swap to see if it helps.

east high
04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
I just finished installing my RM parabolic setup and two of the shocks came with plastic retainer strips that were, presumably, to keep them compressed until they were installed. I put those on the back and the unbound shocks up front and the truck is sitting level for me, albeit a bit taller.

FWIW, I'm running two-leaf springs both front and back with a hard top.

artpeck
04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
My issue is that it is sitting unlevel side to side. I have one pair of like shocks on the left side and the other on the right. Clearly that is wrong. Duh. I will go with longer in back unless i get better information. Appreciate the help.

jac04
04-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I will go with longer in back unless i get better information.
I'm not sure what "better information" is. The longer shocks go on the back. That's a fact.

artpeck
04-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Appreciate the definitive information. Thanks. My issue is that I don't remember there being any noticeable difference in length when I installed them or I would have noted that there were two different pairs in the first place. But I will check it out as I at least know which are the two pairs. Appreciate the help

Cutter
04-11-2011, 08:00 PM
It's funny I went and measured the difference in height from side to side on my truck in the back and it is only .5" difference, but it looks like much more at a glance. Sorry for the hijack artpeck.