PDA

View Full Version : VIN number location?

KelseyM
04-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Hello all,

I live in Connecticut and have a 10 day registration, I have to bring the truck to the DMV and have what they call a VIN verification, ( to make sure that the VIN on the title matches the VIN on the truck). However I cant find where it is, any ideas? Any Connecticut residents have any idea what to do? All advice would be greatly appreciated! Happy Rovering! ;)

albersj51
04-11-2011, 08:32 PM
www.lrfaq.org has a ton of data. I dont know about each model, but look at the plate on the lower center bulkhead and the spring hangers. Good luck!

wrighthm
04-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Spring hangers are the spot to check as previously stated if you do not have the plate inside the truck somewhere, as I assume you do not. It is possible that you have had the spring hangers on your truck replaced and the correct (if any) number is no longer there. Ike, at pangolin4x4.com is a really great guy and he makes a replacement chassis number plate that I have seen on a friends truck and they look great. The replacement that Ike makes is what my friend used to get his truck registered when he found out that his hangers had been replaced and also the chassis number plate in the cab was to a different truck. Hope all is well and all your rover troubles fade away!

mrdoiron
04-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Hello all,

I live in Connecticut and have a 10 day registration, I have to bring the truck to the DMV and have what they call a VIN verification, ( to make sure that the VIN on the title matches the VIN on the truck). However I cant find where it is, any ideas? Any Connecticut residents have any idea what to do? All advice would be greatly appreciated! Happy Rovering! ;)
This link shows the spring hanger location and some other info :
http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Series%20chassis_no.htm

Terrys
04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
The Chassis number is located in 3 places on a series truck but CT DMV will be satisfied if you show them the plate screwed to the bulkhead, right above the tunnel, and/or the one rivetted to the B pillar on the drivers side door opening. The third is located on the right front frame horn, on the outside surface, just below where the spring purchase plates are welded (assuming it's the original chassis). That one might not show up unless you wirebrush the surface well.
I go through this with CTDMV each time I register one I've bought out of state, and while I haven't succeeded yet, I have almost gotten them to agree to allowing any of the emissions stations to do it, since they do a VIN verification each time they test a vehicle. I Have one ready for registration now, from NY, and will give that argument another shot. It's way out of your way, but Enfield seems to be the easiest, or at least I've had 0 issues with them (and them with me).

KelseyM
04-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I found the vin on the bulkhead, and it is correct, thank you guys for helping me find it.. Terrys, I plan on just going to the dmv and having them do it because I believe I do not need any type of emissions or anything because the truck is over 20 years old, am I wrong with this assumption?

Broadstone
04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
I am also in CT. You are correct about being exempt from emissions. I have gone to Wethersfield with 3 of my imported trucks but that is because the branch local to me says all grey market trucks have to be "inspected" in Wethersfield. All they do is a vin verification though. My American market trucks I have done in Winsted and have been questioned about screws or pop rivets attaching the vin plate. They assume its been removed, so if you have the one with factory rivots on the door frame that is what I would show. Good luck

LaneRover
04-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Aaahh the DMV in Wethersfield! As a kid I lived right down the street towards the Silas Deane Highway. Because Nott st lead to the DMV it was always one of the first streets plowed. If our street wasn't plowed we knew that Bob Steele would be mentioning Wethersfield in the 'no school today' list!

The big parking lots were also a great place for kids in the neighborhood to learn how to drive!

Terrys
04-12-2011, 06:36 AM
I found the vin on the bulkhead, and it is correct, thank you guys for helping me find it.. Terrys, I plan on just going to the dmv and having them do it because I believe I do not need any type of emissions or anything because the truck is over 20 years old, am I wrong with this assumption?
I didn't say you had to have an emmissions test. What I said was DMV should let emmissions testing stations do the VIN Verification, since there are far more testing stations then there are DMV offices.If you look at the bottom of any of your emmissions certificates (on your othercars), you will see the inspector signs off on VIN Verification. Why should I have to drive to Enfield twice (Once to get the temp to drive the actual truck there to get in verified) When there's 2 testing places in my own town.
Last time I went to Enfield, the inspector walked to the front right corner of the truck, kneeled down and held his flashlight right wheree the number is, looked at the paper, said "Nice Truck" and walked back inside.

Terrys
04-12-2011, 06:58 AM
If our street wasn't plowed we knew that Bob Steele would be mentioning Wethersfield in the 'no school today' list!

The big parking lots were also a great place for kids in the neighborhood to learn how to drive!
Wow Lane, you're dating yourself. My grandparents lived off of Wollcot Hill, just up the road from the Steeles, and I went to school with one of his son's. We used to sit in his garage and he'd tell us stories about his Indian motorcycles. Do you remember when the building behind DMV was the state prison (and home of 'Old Sparky') ?

jac04
04-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Another option is to have the VIN verification done by your local Police or Resident State Trooper (if your town has one). Our Resident Trooper came to my house and did the VIN verification. He gave me his business card and told me to have the DMV call his cell if they had a problem with it. Well, the DMV started giving me a hard time, I pulled out the card and said "Here, call this guy" and all of a sudden everything was OK. It also helps that the Trooper is a 'car guy'.

Here is the form you need to have completed:
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/R-301.pdf

Terry - The DMV web site says you can now go to a "VIN Verification Emissions Station" to get the VV done. Nice. :thumb-up:

LaneRover
04-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Wow Lane, you're dating yourself. My grandparents lived off of Wollcot Hill, just up the road from the Steeles, and I went to school with one of his son's. We used to sit in his garage and he'd tell us stories about his Indian motorcycles. Do you remember when the building behind DMV was the state prison (and home of 'Old Sparky') ?

I do not remember the prison but my older brothers do. I think the prison was torn down just before I was born. Every once in awhile we would find something in the woods that was probably from the prison. Bob Steele used to say that he could here the kids in his neighborhood cheering whenever he said that Wethersfield had cancelled school!

For a few years there was a HUGE mound of dirt behind the DMV and we all had a great time riding our bikes all over that hill, making jumps, racing each other - would have been a great hill for a Rover!

Amazingly we did it all without helmets and some how we survived!

Terrys
04-12-2011, 08:51 AM
The DMV web site says you can now go to a "VIN Verification Emissions Station" to get the VV done. Nice. :thumb-up:
It would be flattering to think I had anything to do with that change, but I think it must be the collective pressure of 'logical thinking people' continually giving them WTF looks. I believe the reason DMV offices only hire mindless idiots is because low self esteem became a major problem when they hired normal people.

Brent, They tore down the building that house the cells at the prison, but the building that housed Sparkey still stands and is used for the State Surplus Disposal Agency. The 'room' is on the 2nd floor of the Federal side, and it makes your skin crawl when you're even near it.

LaneRover
04-12-2011, 08:53 AM
It would be flattering to think I had anything to do with that change, but I think it must be the collective pressure of 'logical thinking people' continually giving them WTF looks. I believe the reason DMV offices only hire mindless idiots is because low self esteem became a major problem when they hired normal people.

Brent, They tore down the building that house the cells at the prison, but the building that housed Sparkey still stands and is used for the State Surplus Disposal Agency. The 'room' is on the 2nd floor of the Federal side, and it makes your skin crawl when you're even near it.

I've been in the state surplus building, years ago as a kid but never new that 'Sparkey' was in that building just one floor up!

KelseyM
04-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks again everyone for your help, my plan is to attempt the DMV in Bridgeport, because that is the closest to me and If I have any problems than I will try the one in Winsted. I am going to go on Thursday, il post how I make out.

jac04
04-12-2011, 01:56 PM
... my plan is to attempt the DMV in Bridgeport...
You're braver than I am!

KelseyM
04-12-2011, 04:21 PM
haha, when I went there last time everyone was pretty nice, I am hoping that it is the same when I go back!

LaneRover
04-12-2011, 08:23 PM

My brother reminded me that our garden was surrounded by bricks from the prison. I never saw the prison but I remember hours of cleaning mortar from those bricks . . .