PDA

View Full Version : It pays to go look

Skookumchuck
04-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Well I flew out to test drive the 1976 Series III in Vancouver. the truck drives great if very cramped for room I am 6'5". but the total restoration job was not what it was proported to be. BULKHEAD RUST!!!!!!. it looked great untill I started to look deeper into the bulkhead and bottom door frames. typical rusted out door frame bottoms. completely rusted out bottom corners of the bulkhead on the drivers side. And the worst part is that I had no room in the cab. My knees were hitting the steering wheel sitting in a parking lot so offroad would of been a nightmare. So a quick question now that I know I wont fit in a stock 88 is there anyway to increase the leg room? Also I guess it pays to always make sure you totaly check out a series rig before buying.....:(:( I was so wanting it to be great.

leafsprung
04-12-2011, 09:29 AM
many trucks with galv frames are like this. most people wouldnt replace the frame on a rust free truck. . . for leg room you can gain a few inches by making the seat thinner but nothing substantial, anything more requires surgery. 5 doors are the easiest to move the seating rearwards. Lots of folks 6-5 and taller driving series trucks though.

I Leak Oil
04-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Sucks that you took the time and spent your money to look at a truck that wasn't as advertised. Usually series owners are better than that.
As far as you fitting in an 88", you could also try fitting a smaller diameter steering wheel. Would be a little harder to turn the wheel but your size might make up for it. Or just go all out, cut the back bulkhead, move the seats back and put in power steering with the smaller steering wheel!

Sputnicker
04-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I agree with Ike on the thinner seat back. I also moved the pivot point for the seat back a couple of inches so that it rests right up against the tub. I had to remove the hand crank and clips. I'm 6'6" and long-legged. I wouldn't say it's comfortable, but tolerable if you stop every couple of hours on long trips.

gudjeon
04-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Too bad about the series rig. We need more running around the countryside!:thumb-up:

Broadstone
04-12-2011, 10:22 AM
I am 6'1" and I have driven with no seatback and was quite comfortable though this was just around town.

mongoswede
04-12-2011, 10:25 AM
There are rear bulkhead elimination bars available for defenders and I don't see why you could not do something similar on a series truck. The only negative impact it would have would be that you could not ever switch to a pickup cab.

albersj51
04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Been there...just be honest when you post a car for sale. Dont waste everyones time!

Geez! I'm 5'10" after a good stretch, so I cant imagine folding into an 88" when you're 6'5" or more.

amcordo
04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I can't speak for an 88", but for my 109" I've removed the seat tub and original seats and swapped them out for seats from a Silverado (integrated inertia belts) and am fabricating a steel frame to mount the seats direct to the frame. I'm 6' so I'm putting the seats in with my comfortable in the middle of their adjustment so that if someone taller or shorter ever drives it they'll be able to slide the seat to the right point.

Benefit:
Adjustable seats
Integrated seat belts
Seats mount directly to frame using strong steel

Downside:
Not original.

stomper
04-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Amcordo, do the silverado seats recline, so you can look at the stars with all the cute girls you entertain in the rover?:D

luckyjoe
04-12-2011, 03:51 PM
... wont fit in a stock 88 is there anyway to increase the leg room?

Quick - go look at that 2-door 109" :thumb-up:

siii8873
04-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I agree that it pays to go look!! I have had pics sent to me on vehicles that must have been 10 years old. Also pictures can make things look better than actual condition.
To the larger folk. The 109's have a little more room than the 88's in the cab. I saw a truck that the bulkhead was trimmed such that the seat was able to be moved back. The english must be small people, I'm not large and would not want to be much bigger and drive an 88.

Skookumchuck
04-12-2011, 04:51 PM
there are lots of options for the 110 and 90. they have seat sliders that when combined with the replacement rear bulkhead bars give you the additional leg room. the guy that developed the system is my size 6'5". So it looks like it might have to be a 109 or 110 in my future. I just bought a ford 1/2 ton last night so I will have to do some saving as the Rover budget got used up. What can I sell that the wife won't notice or if she notices she won't mind...Hmmm....;)

amcordo
04-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Amcordo, do the silverado seats recline, so you can look at the stars with all the cute girls you entertain in the rover?:D

That reminds me: I need to install a sunroof.

TeriAnn
04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
The 109's have a little more room than the 88's in the cab.

109s and 88s have identical spacing (same parts) from the back of the seat base forward. This means identical leg space. The difference is that the 109 regular bulkhead sits farther to the rear and the seat back can recline more moving your torso back. Your hips sit in the same location but your head & shoulders are farther back from the steering wheel and windscreen.

If I needed more space, I would cut the behind the seat bulkhead down to the top of the seat box, cut away the rear seat box mounting flange where it would interfere with the seat rails, move the seat rails back for additional leg space, install Defender seats (the bottom cushion allows your hips to sit lower while better supporting your thighs and the back is self supporting, taller & with lumbar support) and install a Defender brace behind where I would have the seat back adjusted to. You will lose cargo space but be more comfortable.

If I had the bulkhead out, I would consider making the driver side wheel well deeper and pick up a few inches of leg space.

Skookumchuck
04-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the input Terri-Anne. I am going to go look at a 1958 series II 109 pick-up so if I have to do this much work I might as well start with a project truck.:thumb-up: