PDA

View Full Version : Tailpipe crack

Winooski
04-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Walking around the back of the 109" this morning I noticed some exhaust leaking from the tailpipe at place where the rearmost hanger holds the tailpipe. It appears I have a crack in the pipe from time/wear/road salt/whatever else. I just tuned the truck the other week and she has been running fine, the only issue is that the temperature has been running a bit high when driven for prolonged periods of time (I think it is the new break pads I recently installed).

Would the hole in the tailpipe alter the performance of the truck (its so far down the line I can't imagine it would)?

What is the best way, without breaking the bank, to fix the issue, if the rest of the exhaust piping is in good shape? What if the whole thing needs to be replaced? Are the stainless exhaust setups offered on our hosts page worth the cash? Is this an issue best handled by someone with experience? This is my first go around with the exhaust system, but it seems pretty straight forward (if the rust and other signs of time and wear don't try to ruin the whole thing). And I love working on the truck, so I don't mind the time and effort.

Thanks,

Patrick

rickv100
04-13-2011, 07:15 AM
I am getting ready to replace the exhaust system on my ex-MOD 109. There are three pipes in the exhaust system. I am replacing the intermediate and rear pipe at the same time since it is easier then trying to deal with the rusted fused together pipes. The exhaust is easy to remove. Check your hangers some of the rubber blocks on mine had broken.

The muffler and rear pipe are one piece so you will have to replace the muffler at the same time.

The stainless exhaust your hosts show is for an 88" I don't know if they sell one for a 109.

Rick

Broadstone
04-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Just weld it. It can perhaps be done in place, if not drop it and weld it. That is the cheapest. Then once repaired try to fix the hanger and exhaust as to eliminate stress or play that caused it to crack.

JackIIA
04-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Would the hole in the tailpipe alter the performance of the truck (its so far down the line I can't imagine it would)?

Patrick

No.

(PS - What performance!) :rolleyes: