PDA

View Full Version : Sill Questions (Slider options with side steps)

rejeep
04-13-2011, 07:53 AM
I have been frantically fitting parts to the rover in preparation for its post paint debut..
One issue that I am facing is poor fitting sills…
The front sills (same as 88”) fit the truck very nicely..
It’s the rear 109” 5 door sills that are fitting poorly..
I managed to find a pair over in the UK and thought I was home free.. but I have already had to trim them down in placed to sit flush and even now they are less than an ideal fit..
I will make them work, that I’m not worried about.. but my real question is what are my other options if in a few months or year from now I want a stronger, cleaner look..
Only caveat is that I really would like to retain the flip and fold side steps.. I just ordered 4 brand spankin new ones and I love the way they look on a Series truck.
Are there any options out there aside from custom built locally that I can explore…

albersj51
04-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Give Ike at pangolin a call, or check his website (www.pangolin4x4.com). He makes cool sliders. could you get sliders and attach your steps to them?

meatblanket
04-13-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't know if Ike's sliders are compatible with steps or not, but even if they are, it sorta defeats the purpose of the sliders.

If you intend to offroad the truck, you should remove the steps or there is a good chance they'll get removed for you, and this usually involves some damage to both the step and the sill plate. Ask me how I know.;)

Wander
04-13-2011, 02:11 PM
If you do go with sliders you could ask Ike (or whomever you get to build them) to add nerf bars to them that would act as a small step/toe hold.

The flip and fold steps would be a hazard off road and potentially cause a good amount of damage if they get ripped off by a rock or log.

Cutter
04-13-2011, 04:13 PM
I had asked Ike about some sort of drop out steps- I think ARB used to make something like that- so they would slide up into the slider and lock with a pin, but you could slide them out for off road use. I never heard back but think this would be a nice add on and could be done without compromising the strength or offroad functionality. I didn't hear back on that one but I still plan on doing it eventually when I get enough money set aside to do sliders.

greenmeanie
04-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Have a look at a lot of off road equipment. A simple step can be made using a length of chain and a piece of tube. It'll just move out the way in most cases. Just bolt it to the inside face of the slider or if you want it so that it can be totally removed in places where it may catch on brush etc. use a couple of carabiner type snaps.

Its cheap and cheerful but the basic concept can be made more fancy if you want.

rejeep
04-13-2011, 06:18 PM
well ill be honest...
i dont plan on really wheeling the rover where the steps would be an issue..
but then again thats what I said about my Jeep 13 years ago...
I was looking more at a slider option as a clean way of eliminating the rather flimsy sill panels..
I havent opened the steps as of yet, so there is still a chance that I may not use them, but when i last spoke with Ike he told me that he wasnt taking any more orders for sliders at the moment and he was up to his gills with work.

yorker
04-15-2011, 10:47 AM
If it were me I'd put the steps up for sale and make a set of sliders instead. Steps are ok if you are wearing a skirt or something but they get damaged easily. Get a milk crate.

stonefox
04-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm in the same boat,when it comes to rock slides.I'd like a set from Ike,but lucky for him he's slamming busy.I'm thinking of having a go at it myself,but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.Anybody have some pictures and maybe some dimensions they want to share?