PDA

View Full Version : Overheating problem means no DMV for me!

KelseyM
04-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Hello Everyone,

So I do not plan on going to the dmv tomorrow on the count of an over heating engine, heres what happened...

I noticed that the heater box inlet hose was leaking so I decided to replace both, while I was doing that I taped up the air intake hose( on the count of it was pretty ratty), and re sealed the valve cover gasket because it was leaking. I tightened the valve cover cap hose going to the carb also. After I did this I took it around the block and noticed a significant difference in power and throttle response, however when I got back home the engine was overheating, and coolant was spitting out of my heater inside the truck. So I bypassed the heater to see if that would make a difference but it didnt. Before I did any of this the truck had no problems overheating, any ideas?

I meant to add, that when I turn the truck off, she sputters for about 8 cranks before turning completely off

SafeAirOne
04-14-2011, 06:48 AM
The "dieseling" after sutdown sounds like a simple tune-up and ignition timing check/reset is needed.

As for the cololant leakage, check the hose clamps on the heater core end for tightness. If they're tight, you most likely have a leak in the heater core itself. If the heater core is blown, just plumb the heater hose inlet to the heater hose outlet on the engine or just cap the hoses while you figure things out.

Sometimes the heater hoses can bond to the heater core inlet/ojutlet tubes pretty good and if you attempt to twist them off without first un-bonding them, it is possible to twist the metal tube right out of the heater core tank, or at least fracture the soldered joint there.

On the overheating front, I suspect, like several other posts lately, that there's just a bit of air in the cooling system that needs to be worked out for the cooling system to work properly. Of course, you must do something about the leak first...

rejeep
04-14-2011, 06:51 AM
x2.. air pocket..
flush and fill..

jac04
04-14-2011, 07:04 AM
I meant to add, that when I turn the truck off, she sputters for about 8 cranks before turning completely off
This is most likely linked directly to your overheating. If there is an ignition source in the combustion chamber (like an overheated head), the engine will continue to run even with the ignition shut off.

Terrys
04-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Evidence of coolant inside the truck is possibly a sign of a heater core leak.
Dieseling after shutdown is likely from very hot engine, or severely retarded ignition. firing very late causes tremendous heat to the exhaust valve, and the carbon buildup on the back of the valve and stem. This carbon will glow red hot and act like the glowplug on a model airplane engine, i.e. source of ignition.

KelseyM
04-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys, I bypassed the heater core and it does make sense that there would be air inside the cooling system from when I changed the tubes...I will flush and fill and let you know how it turns out, thanks again!

KelseyM
04-14-2011, 07:35 AM
I just did a full tune up, and before last night the truck ran great, I drove about 150 miles with no overheating problems, idling great and shutting down instantly. After I change the coolant I will see if the problem still occurs and check the timing.

rejeep
04-14-2011, 07:39 AM
be sure to burp the system..
have you tested your stat?

KelseyM
04-14-2011, 07:47 AM
I will, I dont know what you mean by stat?

LaneRover
04-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Are you sure you don't want to find some way to get in line now while you figure out the problem? :D

Stat - thermostat

lrdukdog
04-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Sometimes the heater hoses can bond to the heater core inlet/ojutlet tubes pretty good and if you attempt to twist them off without first un-bonding them, it is possible to twist the metal tube right out of the heater core tank, or at least fracture the soldered joint there..

And just how do you know this?:p
Jim Wolf

KelseyM
04-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Haha, I probally should of, I was there for 2 hours last time. However I think shes all better, I was a gallon of coolant low, I didnt think it would be that much but I just drove around the block and everything seemed to be good. Even the brakes and clutch feel better (that just may be in my head though ;) )

Thank you guys again for all your advice, you all have been extremely helpful! I dont know where I would be without this forum!

Oh and Stat= thermostat, I should of known that haha

cousindave
04-14-2011, 12:54 PM
The clutch and brakes are good now because of brilliant English engineering! Fill coolant,fixes brakes; tighten steering wheel, fixes rear diff leak etc. Etc

KelseyM
04-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Good news, Went to the Bridgeport DMV today and passed the VIN verification!

I was pretty surprised, the guy said that he had a truck just like mine only longer( so im assuming a 109). I have had nothing but good times at the dmv with this truck, in and out in less than an hour!