PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case High is gone

ShootingCar
04-13-2011, 09:56 PM
I was driving my '69 Series IIa 88 home tonight, when as I was going up a hill, I heard a loud bang and suddenly no drive train. I coasted back down and started trying to shift the transfer case shifter. It would drive in low range but when shifting to high range it appeared to just be in neutral. I ended up having to drive it home 5 miles or so in low range. It was singing but I got home going up to 20 mph with fifth gear. What have I done and how do you recommend I fix it? Remember I am all thumbs with this stuff and this is my first major breakdown.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Alk-3
04-13-2011, 10:33 PM
first thing id do is take off the bottom cover, and see whats up. maybe a good idea to strain the oil when you drain it to see whats in the oil.
i just recently replaced my transfer case with a rebuilt unit from rovers down south. its a big job to do, but i managed it in a weekend by myself pretty easily.. it was outside in the winter too, which made working on it a pain, but it was still a pretty straight forward task. thats your worst case scenario anyway, so its not that bad.

leafsprung
04-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Unlikely its the t-case. probably broken rear axle. Try it in 4wd high see if it goes.

LaneRover
04-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Unlikely its the t-case. probably broken rear axle. Try it in 4wd high see if it goes.

I agree with Ike's take on this, at least check it out.

Terrys
04-14-2011, 07:38 AM
X2 on the broken axle.

ShootingCar
04-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Wow Ike, you know how to pick em. I tried it in 4wd high and it ran fine in the driveway. So it must be a broken axle. So when you are in low range is it always in 4wd then that it would run in low range?

Thanks for the direction everyone. Wow the power of the internet.

Jeff

TeriAnn
04-14-2011, 07:57 AM
X2 on the broken axle.

It is the big bang theory. Hear a big bang, loose the connection between the engine & wheels, it is the rear axle breaking.

Most rear axles are good for about 45K miles, less if you take a 109 off road.

Replace both axles and if the broken axle broke on the inside, remove the diff and clean well to get any chips out. If you just replace one, the other will break before too long. The cure of course is to replace with a 24 spline upgrade. Or just replace both with new 10 spline ones every 40K miles before they break.

kwd509
04-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Most rear axles are good for about 45K miles, less if you take a 109 off road.

Just curious......lifespan of axles the same for 88's?.

KelseyM
04-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Yep, I blew my rear 10 spline going around a turn at 10mph a few months ago

ShootingCar
04-16-2011, 07:35 AM
My truck actually has Range Rover axles on it from the coil conversion from ECR years ago.
I looked for replacement axles for my truck. RN only had one used right side and one new left side and said that per Land Rover in the UK, the right side was no longer available. Atlantic British had only one new right and left, which is where I got them both from.
So if all of us are breaking these axles all the time, then where are we going to get them from? Do you guys carry spares with you?

thanks for all your help.

Jeff

TeriAnn
04-16-2011, 07:45 AM
So if all of us are breaking these axles all the time, then where are we going to get them from? Do you guys carry spares with you?

After breaking seven 10 spline rear axles over the years I converted my 109 over to the much stronger Salisbury 24 spline rear axle assembly (stock set up for SIII 109s). To which I added the stronger ARB diff, stronger Great basin axles and drive flanges. This was 14 years ago. Haven't broken anything back there since.

After breaking one front axle & twisting a second My front is converted to the stronger 24 spline SeriesTrek front axles and stronger 24 spline Truetrac diff.

I gave up on 10 spline Rover axles and the weak Rover diffs.

lrdukdog
04-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Ok, here's what I did to mine.....flame suit on Mr. Bond,
http://www.cryogenicsinternational.com/auto.htm

got this tip/idea from a friend a NASA
Jim Wolf

Terrys
04-16-2011, 11:33 AM
After breaking seven 10 spline rear axles over the years I converted my 109 over to the much stronger Salisbury 24 spline rear axle assembly

WTF? I bought my first series truck 40 years ago next month. I've lost count of how many I've had, but pushing 3 dozen, and I have yet to break an axle shaft. I bought a spare R&L 25 years ago, but so far, haven't even taken them out of the cardboard tubes. What am I doing wrong?

stonefox
04-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Terry,
How do you expect the part suppliers to stay in business with you pussy footin' around with your axles for the last forty years. They have mouthes to feed too you know.:D

JimCT
04-16-2011, 04:15 PM
1968 ambulance/camper, broke standard axle, replaced with Salisbury, broke one of those, got Great Basin axles, years and nothing broken. Detroit locker in rear now, still nothing busted.

ShootingCar
04-17-2011, 06:56 AM
After breaking seven 10 spline rear axles over the years I converted my 109 over to the much stronger Salisbury 24 spline rear axle assembly (stock set up for SIII 109s). To which I added the stronger ARB diff, stronger Great basin axles and drive flanges. This was 14 years ago. Haven't broken anything back there since.

After breaking one front axle & twisting a second My front is converted to the stronger 24 spline SeriesTrek front axles and stronger 24 spline Truetrac diff.

I gave up on 10 spline Rover axles and the weak Rover diffs.

Wow, after hearing this, I am wondering if I should go the Great Basin Axles instead of the stock replacement ones. Price difference is about $30 each. The stock ones are arriving tomorrow.

gudjeon
04-18-2011, 09:29 AM
I found a rear axle will break sometime after horsing around in 2wd. If you try to do as much or go as far as far as you can in 2wd, then change up into 4wd - stress can be put on the axle(s). I put it in 4wd before I need to and avoid all the above. That being said, I have broken a series2 and a ser1 axle. After changing my driving habits, I haven't broke one since. (knock on wood).:thumb-up:

LaneRover
04-18-2011, 09:32 AM
WTF? I bought my first series truck 40 years ago next month. I've lost count of how many I've had, but pushing 3 dozen, and I have yet to break an axle shaft. I bought a spare R&L 25 years ago, but so far, haven't even taken them out of the cardboard tubes. What am I doing wrong?

So you average just over a year for each Rover. Maybe thats why you haven't broken an axle. You have them just after - or just before they break one! :D

Terrys
04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
So you average just over a year for each Rover. Maybe thats why you haven't broken an axle. You have them just after - or just before they break one! :D
Some I've kept for years, others were just to fix up and sell to finance others. There have been many other marques also, and Im stiing on 6 nonLandy things. I've had several Italians, a few of them quasi exotic, but For no particular reason, I've never owned a Japanese car. My wife has a new Forrester, but that's hers. I did old bikes too, one a winter for many years. Still have the '46 BSA I did back in the '90s