PDA

View Full Version : Hard clutch pedal

singingcamel
04-14-2011, 09:15 AM
I changed out the slave cylinder on a series 11a due to leaking, Its on a 109.
new slave cylinder in place, 2 pumps on the pedal and its rock hard? pedal will not move.
Release the pressure by bleeding and a couple pumps and damn its hard..
Thinking maybe its a fallty slave cylinder ,changed that out , same thing.
Linkage thru the bell housing is good, (worked good before the leak.)
I did'nt change the adjusting rod but did'nt think I had too. Worked well with the leak.
i'm now thinking it maybe a faulty master clutch , What do you guys think ? or if any of you had this similar problem I would appreciate some direction ..Thanks
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

TedW
04-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Is the piston bottoming out on the circlip? If so, your push rod needs adjusting. But you already knew all this.

jac04
04-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Have you checked the rubber line? Sounds like you might be bottoming out the piston (or linkage) at the slave because fluid is not being allowed back out of the slave. I had the same issue once on a IIA. I changed the rubber line and all was well.

singingcamel
04-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys , I'll have a look , everything was working well prior to the change out . so easy but yet confusing..
Ted , when you say push rod are you talking about the master clutch or slave ?
Jac04 , yep I thought I'd relace just because..thanks again

TedW
04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Ted , when you say push rod are you talking about the master clutch or slave ?

I'm thinking slave. If the push rod isn't adjusted correctly the piston will hit the circlip when you push in the clutch. And, if you have my luck, it will blow right past the circlip and onto the pavement, leaving you clutchless.

IIRC, the bible states that the piston is supposed to be about 3/16" away from the circlip when you have the clutch pushed in. Something like that - you'd better look it up and not trust my memory.

Jac04 is also correct about the clutch flex line. I know someone that happened to. After 40 years or so they swell up and get all spongy inside.

scott
04-14-2011, 06:54 PM
when r&ring my clutch mc i failed to correctly adjust the push rod at the mc. every time i depressed the pedal it got harder and harder to do so. i literarily stood on the pedal and the flex line to the slave burst.

there's a port that allows fluid to return to the mc when not depressed. the push rod was not permitting the piston to clear this port in the rest position so it just kept pumping up