PDA

View Full Version : Rear Output Shaft oil seal

swray
04-16-2011, 09:47 AM
I have the transmission brake out and thought I would replace the seal to keep the new transmission brake components from being bathed in oil. I recieced the new seal but cannot figure out how to replace it from what the green bible describes. Does the metal housing for the seal need to be removed from the speedo housing and have the new seal inserted back into it? I also noticed a spring ring in the old one...

gudjeon
04-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Seal housing is a separate ass'y on the rear of the transfer case. The output seal is put in there. easier to do off the vehicle and has shims in place to give a zero bearing backlash. It can be done in place, but is more difficult, especially the removal. Knife edge of the seal always goes toward the oil. The garter spring you see is a small spring installed around the inside of the seal to add extra pressure to the sealing lip. Check the output pinion for a wear groove. If this surface is not perfect, the new seal will leak. I installed a Redi-sleeve to cover the wear. They can be more than the $eal.

The old leather seals work well and last long, but when they finally go, they leave a large wear mark due to the leather holding the grit and grinding away the surface.

Good luck:thumb-up:

Jon

swray
04-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks gudjeon. I will disconect the speedo cable and remove the Seal housing for easier access. I do not detect a wear mark on the output pinion, so maybe I got lucky.