PDA

View Full Version : rear main seal question

cousindave
04-17-2011, 07:10 PM
I replaced the rear main seal and the seriesIII. still leaks. I Tom her all apart and found the cork seals to be in perfect shapeand does not appear to be the culprit. Also the rear main seal was perfectly aligned. The split end was still pointed towards the cylinder head. I did notice that the rear main seal seems to be loose. I can't see if the crank has a groove from the old seal. In the event that there is a groove is there a way to fix it without talon out the crank and having it remachined? I used a britpart seal could the seal just be faulty from new? How tight should the new seal feel on the crank? When I assembled the new seal I used silicone grease on the sealing edge of the seal and the crank. Thanks all

tvharwood
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
My son put a new engine in my Rover about a month ago. Within a few days I had a small leak which got worse by the day to the point that when I parked there was a long line of oil. When he replaced the seal we discovered that the silicone grease was causing the rubber to deteriorate. It was so bad that your hand would get black from rubbing the seal. He used Vaseline on the new seal and so far so good. I don't know which brand he used but apparently the grease is incompatible with the rubber.

Ted

cousindave
04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks Ted, I'll try the vaseline!!