PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Gas problem

gies
04-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Bought this rover and don't know how long it sat. The engine stalled a couple of times and mechanics replaced plugs, points, dist cap etc. Did it again so I replaced the fuel filter. It was filthy and clogged. Can I clean out the gas tank or do you think a replacement is necessary. Current tank is original but in perfect shape otherwise. Engine runs great when it gets gas! Its a 2.5 chevy 4 cyl with no leaks.

LaneRover
04-18-2011, 10:44 AM
No reason why you shouldn't be able to get the gas tank cleaned out. If no one advertises for it in the yellow pages then call a radiator shop. If they don't do it they'll know someone who does.

albersj51
04-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Just make sure you drain it first. There is a drain plug underneath. Maybe drain it, see of you get a lot crap from tank, refill with new fuel and try again

singingcamel
04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
It may be rust from sitting , i would pull the tank and look for a radiator shop to clean it and then have a peak at the condition , if rusty i would replace it,, you can have it lined as well But for the cost i'd buy a new tank and be done with it..
Pull the draw tube from the tank and clean the screen..the screen may be plugged with crap and have a peek inside the tank after you drain it , It will save you a few bucks..

gies
04-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks. The dirt seems to be solidified gas when I rub it between fingers. I ran a garden hose in it for a long time to remove loose particle mess(with filter line on carb disconnected and bottom gastank plug out), then blew out the tank with a driveway blower. Will definately make sure its dry before adding gas again. This cleaned almost all of it out. The debris that came out after the brown gas looked like ground up leaves. Seems to be getting better. Trying all I can before pulling off tank. Thanks for you input.

gies
04-20-2011, 09:52 AM
That is what I have done and I did get a lot of dirt out. Hoping it will be clean when I put in more gas. I will put in a little gas, then drain again in a white pail. Seems to work. Thanks

cousindave
04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Think about replacing the tank. It,s cheap and easy to replace. Before you condemn me for the easy way out. I cleaned my old tank and sealed it, only to leak about a month later. The tank usually rusts from the inside out. And think at least you know there is no gunk getting into the line for a while.

martindktm
04-20-2011, 10:34 AM
I would also clean the carburator...

gudjeon
04-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Put in some gas with carb cleaner and a couple of handfulls of washed gravel. Sake the living out of it. Do it several times. Then use Red-kote as per instructions on the tin. Use 1/2 the can the first time and the other half about a week later. Might cost the same as a new tank, but better, IMHO. That, or get a rad shop to do this if you are feeling flush.:thumb-up:

Terrys
04-20-2011, 03:50 PM
The new tanks are cheap in every deffinition of the word.They are like tinfoil compared to an original. If it's still shiney inside, clean it and keep it.

cousindave
04-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Terry: I agree with you-the tanks today are not as good as the originals, bkut then again nothing is made like it used to be. I just meant that its better to replace with new then to try to seal scale only to have scale work into the carb.

Terrys
04-21-2011, 11:35 AM
No argument there Dave. That's why I threw the caveat in "if it's still shiney"

gies
04-21-2011, 01:01 PM
The Rover is running clean again after the h2o wash, then more gas, etc until clean. I have a clear plastic fuel filter and nothing is accumulating at this time. I appreciate the advice and the rocks and red-kote seems like a good alternative when and if the dirt returns. This old tank is pretty thick and real good shape on the outside. I would rather keep it if I can. Thanks for all the advice Gies