PDA

View Full Version : Swivel ball seal-changing...and vent/breather location???

knac1234
04-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Hello all,

While doing my first oil change this weekend, I pulled the sump and filter housing, cleaned them, sanded and painted them black, and reinstalled them with a new sump gasket and filter oring seal. One set of leaks gone!

I noticed oil-definitely oil and not brake fluid as the brake fluid hasn't dropped at all in over 3K miles-on the inside of the tires. Appeared to be coming from the swivel ball hub seals.

I did some research, and found TeriAnn's helpful page on replacing the hub seal by making a small cut. Anyone done it this way?

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRhubseal.htm

I also found a thread stating that oftentimes a vent or breather is clogged, and allowing oil to be pushed past what are good hub seals.
Could not find mention of these breathers in the WSM. Anyone got a pic of where these are, and how to remove/clean them? And any pics on the vent tubes that some are suggesting retrofitting?

I have new hub seals ready to go, and will approach it via Teri's advice unless someone else comments, but would rather not if all it needs are these vents cleaning out!

One leak at a time......

Julian

jac04
04-18-2011, 02:46 PM
I assume that people are talking about the axle case vent, as there are not vents on the swivel pin housings themselves.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/axlevent.jpg

bkreutz
04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
I've never had problems with cutting the swivel ball seal as long as the cut is on the top. A lot of the newer models (with the same setup) the seal comes "pre-cut". If you think about it, the only time it would leak would be if your Rover is resting on it's top, and in that case, there would be other leaks to worry about.:D

knac1234
04-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Gale & Jac-

You guys are great in responding to my questions!!!

I would think that, between the axle breather (which I remember seeing now Jac mentioned it's not on the swivel pin housings) and the seal replacement (looks pretty easy), I should be able to correct another set of leaks!

Will check the rear diff breather while I'm at it then.

Also read about breathers on the tranny, transfer box, and overdrive....if you know where those are, let me know. I've read that tubing, directed to a "high location" on the vehicle, used to vent these might be a good idea....and prevent some of my external tranny lubrication system....the oil vents upward through the tubing, and rolls back down the tubing into the cases?

Cheers,
Julian

PS Jac....unbelievable vehicle!

crankin
04-18-2011, 03:48 PM
I assume that people are talking about the axle case vent, as there are not vents on the swivel pin housings themselves.

Jac, is this the LW?

jac04
04-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Also read about breathers on the tranny, transfer box, and overdrive....if you know where those are, let me know. I've read that tubing, directed to a "high location" on the vehicle, used to vent these might be a good idea....and prevent some of my external tranny lubrication system....the oil vents upward through the tubing, and rolls back down the tubing into the cases?

There are vented cover plates on the top of each. You can drill & tap the cover plate, then use some simple fittings to run a rubber hose up into the engine compartment. Put a small piece of foam lawnmower air filter material into the end of the hose to keep things clean (don't pack it in there too tight or you will defeat the whole purpose of the vent). I used 1/2" hose on my last project to vent the x-fer case. The trans & x-fer case should have a passage between them so you can get away with venting only one. The overdrive will require a seperate vent.

PS Jac....unbelievable vehicle!
Thank you very much!

Jac, is this the LW?
Sure is.:thumb-up:

alaskajosh
04-19-2011, 01:13 AM
I've never had problems with cutting the swivel ball seal as long as the cut is on the top. A lot of the newer models (with the same setup) the seal comes "pre-cut". If you think about it, the only time it would leak would be if your Rover is resting on it's top, and in that case, there would be other leaks to worry about.:D
That may be good enough at keeping oil in but what keeps water out?

knac1234
04-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks again for the tips.

Josh---I am guessing that, per TeriAnn's instructions, the gasket sealant put through that cut must bond overnight, and seals enough to keep out water????

Cheers,
Julian

bkreutz
04-19-2011, 05:54 PM
My thinking was that anyone that was going to be doing deep water fording wouldn't be asking this question, the sealant would help on the split but it wouldn't be watertight. (but then again neither would the seals since they're not normally oiltight anyway:D)

Gremlin
04-23-2011, 04:36 PM
beautiful work!!!:thumb-up: awesome