PDA

View Full Version : Transmission/E-brake question

Bostonian1976
04-19-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm getting my Rover inspected for the first time in 3 years either today or tomorrow (haven't been running it). Should pass fine. The one thing I always run into is the e-brake - the inspection guys want the brake to firmly hold the truck in place while they attempt to go forward in first. That's sort of laughable on my truck, as the brake just barely holds on the slightest incline. I end up having to adjust the transmission brake with the adjustment nut under the center seat, but when it's adjusted tighter, I get a pop-pop-pop as I drive down the road. What's my problem? Is something warped that catches on each rotation? Thanks...

SalemRover
04-19-2011, 07:42 AM
You could always leave the overdrive engaged. The transmission brake adjuster is on the backing plate on the rear of the transfer case. It is a small square nut. Try adjusting that. Not sure what is causing the pop pop.

rejeep
04-19-2011, 08:03 AM
if something is loose or broken in the parking drum that would cause a repetitive “pop” sound..
perhaps the adjuster itself is broken causing slack on one of the shoes
does the noise increase with speed?

Bostonian1976
04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
thanks for the replies. Yeah the popping increases with speed. I then back off the adjustment nut, and it's gone - but I'm back to meager to nonexistent parking brake...

LaneRover
04-19-2011, 08:34 AM
thanks for the replies. Yeah the popping increases with speed. I then back off the adjustment nut, and it's gone - but I'm back to meager to nonexistent parking brake...

Years ago I heard about a guy who had a really hot muscle car. The only way it would pass emissions was to lean it wayyyyy out. he would pull up to the inspection station pop the hood lean it out so much that sometimes it would stall just going up the slight rise in the drive to get it in the inspection area. Upon passing he would pull out, put the mixture back to richer where it would run well - and give lots of power.

I say drive it close to the inspection station adjust the parking brake and once inspected loosen it up again. That way you have passed inspection and can take your time looking into the problem.

Or find a more lenient inspection station - I always asked around in Maine!

Bostonian1976
04-19-2011, 08:43 AM
so I'm assuming you guys have decent parking brakes when properly adjusted? My other Series....er....aren't fit to compare to, so I have no reference..

LaneRover
04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Sometimes . . .

masonater
04-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Bostonian, I know this doesn't answer your question but im assuming your in MA, on nantucket the inspection guys have never checked the ebrake on any of my series trucks. Could be that they are lazy but maybe try going to another inspection station and maybe they will overlook it.

Bostonian1976
04-19-2011, 09:42 AM
okay thanks! Every station I've ever taken mine to has frustrated the guys that inspect it because they don't know what to do with it.

It's either the owner of the shop yelling at the inspection guy to 'slap a sticker on that thing and get it out of here!' or a complete teardown by another place up in Reading. Maybe I can find a happy medium :)

Terrys
04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
The average inspection monkey doesn't understand that a Land Rover is geared so low in first. I had a CT inpector, in a random roadside stop fail me for the same thing. They want to see the engine stall when the clutch is engaged in first. I re-adjusted it but he wrote it up and I had to go to the DMV. As soon as I passed, I backed the adjuster off.
I do the same thing with my 110. When I go for it's bi-annual emissions, I pull over, reset the timing to 8 degrees BTDC, go through, then reset it back to 10. I suspect you'll never find one of these guys listing NASA as a previous employer.

cousindave
04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
My e bake works really well. Actually its the only thing on her that works perfectly.

gudjeon
04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Adjust it just like the manual says, and it will work well. The square nut adjuster sits on a small assembly that is held on by two self lockers and is supposed to "float". This will let it move allowing for anything out of true while maintaining a close tolerance from shoe to drum. Then, when the lever is pulled - a good snug fit is made. It does work, it just has to be set up exactly like it says in the book. The pop-pop-pop sound is probably the shoes gripping when the drum goes round and round and like all things round, the drum is not perfect.:thumb-up:

Sputnicker
04-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Maybe it's because I use my Rover in the mountains, or perhaps the E-Brake sequence from "The Gods Must be Crazy made an impression," but I rather like having a properly functioning E-Brake. It really comes in handy and I like having a redundant means of stopping - especially in a Series Rover. When set up and adjusted properly, they work well. Why not just fix it?

Bostonian1976
04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
I'd love to fix it.

I don't have the manual, only a restoration manual.

Can you recommend how the manual states to adjust it?

I assumed it would just be tighten the adjustment nut until tight enough that the brake functions well, but loose enough that it doesn't create drag when the brake is off. Is there a certain procedure I'm missing?

westcoastkevin
04-19-2011, 12:51 PM
I had a car once where I had to spin the distributor a little when getting my emissions cert. Then spin it back again in the car park after getting the papers. :-)

gudjeon
04-19-2011, 01:01 PM
I'll not post it here, but, there is plenty of PDF manuals already scanned if you let Google do the walking.:D

Bostonian1976
04-19-2011, 01:11 PM
I'll not post it here, but, there is plenty of PDF manuals already scanned if you let Google do the walking.:D

the internet is an amazing thing :) Got it....thanks!!

gudjeon
04-19-2011, 01:14 PM
:thumb-up: The internet is also the largest trash heap devised by mankind. However, there is always some nugget of info a person can use.

Bostonian1976
04-19-2011, 01:29 PM
:thumb-up: The internet is also the largest trash heap devised by mankind. However, there is always some nugget of info a person can use.

ha. hey it'll make us all mindless drones that stare at screens all day...that's progress right?

Bostonian1976
04-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Well I passed. The guy put the sticker on so crooked it's almost sideways. Ah well I'm legal.

I haven't really driven the truck in 3 years, and an old problem has resurfaced. The rear brakes go GRONCH at a certain spot on the drum, and it's really loud. Hoping it grinds down as I drive it more. Kind of embarrassing