PDA

View Full Version : Leaking differential gear oil

Escargo
04-22-2011, 09:05 AM
I can't seem to keep the gear oil level up in both diffs. As the insides of the front right and left rear wheels are completely greased, I'm assuming it is a failure of the inner bearing oil seals(?) How bad a job is that replacement? The only experience I have is with bearings and seals on boat trailer hubs. I'ld appreciate any tips. Do I need to order anything other than those seals from our hosts? Truck is a '64 IIa 88".
Diffs aren't making any noise and I still drive locally acouple times a week, but am hesitant to go far from home.
Thanks in advance, Hans

LaneRover
04-22-2011, 09:21 AM
I can't seem to keep the gear oil level up in both diffs. As the insides of the front right and left rear wheels are completely greased, I'm assuming it is a failure of the inner bearing oil seals(?) How bad a job is that replacement? The only experience I have is with bearings and seals on boat trailer hubs. I'ld appreciate any tips. Do I need to order anything other than those seals from our hosts? Truck is a '64 IIa 88".
Diffs aren't making any noise and I still drive locally acouple times a week, but am hesitant to go far from home.
Thanks in advance, Hans

Can you tell where it is leaking out? Do you see oil coming out the outer or inner hubs? Down from the pinion gear or through the seal between the diff carrier and the axle housing?

I Leak Oil
04-22-2011, 11:15 AM
There's nothing unique about rover wheel bearings and it's most likely a similar process to the trailer wheel bearings you worked on (provided it wasn't a unitized bearing for some reason). If it's just the grease seal, you'll need a new one and most likely the distance piece. The distance piece is the metal collar that is pressed on the spindle that the seal rides on. I usually change both.

Escargo
04-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Lanerover, it's all dry until you get out to the swivel pin housing. Enough oil leaks in 24 hrs to drip down the inside of the tire.

I Leak Oil
04-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Just the front axle? Could just be the swivel seal. Is the brake backing plate wet at the bottom?

Escargo
04-23-2011, 06:50 AM
It's both front and rear diffs. It looks like the brake backing plate is wet too, but hard to tell,everything is so greased. I have not filled the diffs in awhile. The last time I checked the front, the swivel balls did not need topping off, just the diffs. Does that make any sense?

I Leak Oil
04-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Sounds like you really need to find out where it's leaking from. If you suspect the hubs then take the wheel off and get the drum off. Should become very obvious if its the hub seal or not at that point.

Diffs usually leak from the pinion seal, the drain plug washer, the mounting flange seal or a rusty housing cover.

I've found that the best way to find the source of a leak is to clean the suspected area and see if it continues to get wet. Keep going from there.

jac04
04-23-2011, 08:56 AM
The last time I checked the front, the swivel balls did not need topping off, just the diffs. Does that make any sense?
On your vehicle, the front & rear hubs are oil lubricated. The rear hubs can share oil with the axle case/differential. This means that your rear hub seals leaking could cause the fluid at the diff to become low. The front is different. The front hubs can share oil with the swivel housings, but not the axle case. There is a seal at each end of the axle case that keeps oil in the axle case. So, the front hubs leaking should not cause your front diff oil to become low.

I Leak Oil
04-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Unless the axle case seals are leaking also.

jac04
04-23-2011, 11:40 AM
^Good point.:thumb-up:

Escargo
04-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys, That helps. But I feel like I need to hit the Green Bible. I guess I really don't understand the cavities involved and how they connect? Is there another reference? Differentials for dummies? Maybe I should just jump in and start wrenching.

I Leak Oil
04-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Maybe I should just jump in and start wrenching.

Yes....That's really the best way to learn.