PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

wrighthm
04-25-2011, 05:46 PM
So it has been raining quite a lot here in Lexington kentucky and I noticed that my brake pedal had changed in the way that it feels under normal braking. I didn't think anything of it since most of the time when it rains my truck seems to act slightly different and then everything goes back to normal. I am about to take my first long trip in the truck this weekend (4hrs) and I am really nervous anyway. Today when I was driving home from work the truck began to make a roaring sort of noise, not like bearings roar but as if the brakes were sticky just enough to make a noise. I got home and checked just to see if the wheels seemed a little hotter than usual and sure enough the rear brakes seemed to be generating a lot of heat. The truck doesn't seem to pull to one side or the other and it seems to coast along in neutral as good as it ever has. Any advice? Call off my trip?

artpeck
04-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Could be your brake shoes too tight against the drums. Not sure why it would happen with rain however. If you haven't you can test by raising the wheel and seeing if it is sticking on the shoes. If so use the adjust on the backside of the brake place to loosen the shoes slightly. I usually tighten until the wheel sticks then back off the adjust two clicks. Seems to work.

wrighthm
04-26-2011, 06:42 PM
That's what I will have to do. I adjusted them when I got all my new parts and did the overhaul on the brakes. I never could get them to really adjust very much though, it's been about six months of daily driving in stop n go traffic since then so they probably need to be adjusted again. The truck has quit the roaring noise now and I am as nervous about the trip as I have ever been. I'm really trying to let loose and do something outside of my comfort zone with this drive. I am driving from Lexington KY to Pigeon Forge TN for a Volkswagen show Ive been going to twice a year since I got into old volkswagens. I'm hoping if something does happen I can call AAA to get a tow to the Volkswagen camp and hopefully get a fix there. I am already dooming myself, I know but if anyone has some advice to get it ready for the drive I would really appreciate it. I know some people have said they've been on 6hr journeys in an old series, so my 180 miles seems small but it's a big deal for me. It is my first series and I'm addicted, I seem to rest my personal happiness with this truck and being able to drive it everyday.

masonater
04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
I cant help with your brake issue but i think you and i may be the only 2 people in the bluegrass state with series rovers...Im at bowman field in lousiville restoring my 109. If you ever make the trip over here come say hello! My sister is graduating from UK in little over a week so ill be in lex.