PDA

View Full Version : Replace the fuel Pump?

coolmandrew
04-25-2011, 05:56 PM
When pressing down the gas on my 1990 Range, sometimes it sounds like its going to stall. This only happens occasionally but at the most inopportune times. On several occasions it has stalled. The engine almost sounds like it's flooding. This is starting to happen more and more frequently. ANy ideas?

KK98P38
08-09-2011, 01:10 PM
What you have described could be the preliminary symptoms of a declining fuel pump. However - you should make sure that the injectors are in good condition and that the fuel delivery system is working properly.

If your fuel pump has around 100,000 miles on it , chances are it is near its life expectancy. The brushes in the pump motor wear out and eventually the motor stops running - usually in the worst possible place for a failure.

If you can find a replacement pump unit, you can replace the entire unit. The alternative is to replace the worn out components in the pump unit assembly - as the protective cage and fuel gauge sender are generally OK if the fuel tank has not been damaged.

Finally - if required - I offer a reasonably priced fuel pump unite rebuild service. I have refurbished a number of classic and P38 pumps in the past year. PM me for details if you are interested.