PDA

View Full Version : Series or old Range Rover

fishhunt22
04-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Hello,
I'm looking to buy an old Series III 109 or an Old 1970's to 1980's Range Rover classic. I just want a fun off road truck to bring around the woods and go to and from work which is about 10 miles from my house. I love to mess around with cars. I can't do engine work. I do mostly body work. I have a few questions. Which one should I really look for? Which is more expensive to fix? Are parts more money on one than the other? Diesel or gas? Which one will cost me more in repairs and give me the most head aches? Can I ride a Series on the Highway? Which one rust more?
Any information would be great.
Mike
miketraeger@earthlink.net

J!m
04-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Go with a series. They are far simpler vehicles, and they will go on the highway, just not very quickly! They are also very good a showing up leaf-sprung jeeps off road... I'd also suggest anything but a series III, as the dash adds a bit of complexity to the novice builder. The II and II-a are much simpler, and therefore easier to repair.

The complexity of the RR makes it less of a choice for those less mechanically/electrically inclined.

Start with a series, and then decide if you can take a bigger bite and still chew it...

Body work skills are not an issue, as the bodies are aluminum, and filler just doesn't work well. It always looks cheap if the bodies are repaired with filler. Frame welding will be needed, unless you do a frame-over or find an exceptional example, although exceptional examples are becoming increasingly rare...

There are many good books on series restoration- you should start with this, before you buy anything, or risk throwing 'good money after bad' as you learn some hard lessons about series trucks.

This is naturally my opinion, and though I personally would go with a first-generation Range Rover myself (I already have a series and a Defender), I think you should start with a series, as it is easily fixed with a hammer, and in fact, reacts well to this treatment.:thumb-up:

Tim Smith
04-09-2007, 09:05 AM
I agree with Jim. You should go with a series unless you are truly opposed to opening the hood. Series trucks are very robust off road and tend to hold up pretty well to punishment due to their lighter weights and simple designs. They can be very cheap to run and keep as a second vehicle too. They are slow but that is relative as you can keep up with the posted speed limits.

Don't forget though that these things are far from modern vehicles. You are supposed to do tune ups (adjust valves, points etc...) but those jobs are easy and can be very rewarding. It's a nice feeling of accomplishment to finish a tune up and to actually notice the improvement.

There is another reason to go series. Just about everyone loves em'. You will find people smiling as you drive by, people will ask you questions when you fill up and you may even find yourself loving it (for no particular reason) after not too long.

If you want a truck because it is more bad ass than the guy next to you, then forget it. However if you want the guy next to you give you a thumbs up, then go for it.
:thumb-up:

slorocco
04-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I agree with the others from a simplicity stand point but from a cost perspective, you can buy a streetable early range rover/disco for less money that a good series vehicle. If highway use is in the mix the rr/disco would be more comfortable.

Don't get me wrong my 109 was the first rover I owned, and i still have it after I've bought and sold a LWB Range Rover and an '88 Range Rover. But I will tell you that the first time I took the LWB off road, it walked right through some stuff that the 109 had to work to get through especially when it came to articulation.

Ditto to Tim Smith's comment on the thumbs up. I've make more friends while driving my old 109 than any other vehicle I've owned.

Erin
04-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Series Trucks rule. Buy one and drive it. Dont forget to maintain it and it will lastyou a lifetime. Mine has treated me well for the last 7 years.
Cheers,
Erin

KingSlug
04-14-2007, 11:56 PM
I am going against the stream here but early first gen RRs are nice. I owned a 1976 RR (stick, V8, very nuts and bolts), I would level it with a 88/109, but a bit ***ier. It was comfortable enough to drive about but great offroad. A great go between model the earlier RRs were, LR should have shelved the S3 from the start and just moved directly to the 90/110. I would say no one would look down on the first gen RR. Only the greatest rover lovers will be able to identify you driving the early first gen RR, series owners would wave if you waved too.

If you find an early first gen RR and don't want it tell me.

KingSlug
04-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Why can I type s12e34x56ier (remove the numbers). Come on administrators, its and adjective used daily in MSM marketing.