PDA

View Full Version : UHMW Tape revisited..... is this the one?

westcoastkevin
04-27-2011, 08:38 AM
I am putting my spring packs back together shortly. I almost decided not to bother putting any friction reducer in place but I wanted to check before I tighten the bolts up.

Is this the tape you used from McMaster Carr? .... see link below.
Was it worth it?
Was there something better?

I am also considering putting a shim between each leaf at the center bolt to lessen squeak.

Kevin

Strong and Slippery UHMW Polyethylene Tape with Super-Bond Adhesive

All the benefits of Strong and Slippery UHMW (ultra-high molecular weight) Polyethylene Tape (http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw%20polyethylene%20tape), plus a super-high bond adhesive make this tape perfect for difficult-to-bond surfaces such as powder-coated, plastic, foam, and metal surfaces. Adhesive is a high-strength, chemical-resistant acrylic. Temperature range is 0° to 200° F; apply at 70° to 100° F. Supplied on a cardboard spool.
0.012" thick tape has a 0.01" thick film with 0.002" adhesive.
0.022" thick tape has a 0.02" thick film with 0.002" adhesive.

albersj51
04-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Yup, that's it. I posted about it not long ago. The number of negative comments (slides out of the springs very soon after, cant handle the abrasion, etc), I decided against it. There is a lot of info in that thread (how much UHMW). I went with spring liner from speedwaymotors.com. My truck is in a milion pieces so I cant comment on them yet.

westcoastkevin
04-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Did you get the ones with the lip or the flat stock that you trim to size?
Are you worries about no adhesive to keep it from sliding out sideways?

albersj51
04-27-2011, 09:14 AM
I went with the flat stock. I would have gone with the lip, but my springs are 2.5" wide, and the lips maxed at 2.25" wide. The pressure from the pack and the clamps should hold it in place, I hope!

TeriAnn
04-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Is this the tape you used from McMaster Carr? ....

Truthfully, I don't remember. I did the conversion on my springs in the late 1990's and I didn't document what I used. A couple years later when I tried to document it I tried to measure the thickness of the sandwiched plastic and guessed wrong. I wrote down my best guesstimate from my measuring and it was way too thin. People tried it and it wore away fairly quickly. I believe because it was too thin a layer. My mistake in not thinking of documenting it for my new web site until years later. I was still trying to define what my Land Rover site was going to focus on besides my own truck.

Was it worth it?

My plastic is still there, 12 years later, in between the leafs cutting down on friction. It is cracked along the edges and maybe a tad more yellow, but it is still there doing its thing.

About 4 years ago a friend I did an informal highly subjective test. Two Dormobiles of similar weight, one with a fresh set of parabolics, mine with 12 to 14 year old one ton leaf springs & 8 year old UHMV strips between the leaves. We each hopped in one of the Dormies and drive a route that included 55 MPH driving on a paved road with curves and a section of semi maintained, rutted dirt road with a little wash boarding. Then re retraced the route with the other Dormie at about the same speed. Afterwards we compared notes as to how the ride compared.

We both agreed the ride felt the same in both vehicles with one exception. There was more side sway with the parabolics than with the one ton leaf springs + UHMW. Otherwise we could not feel any difference between the two suspension systems on the different surfaces.

It is my current personal belief that given long enough shocks you can get more articulation out of parabolics, but with wheels on the ground you can get better traction and less hop out of the leaf springs + UHMW. I much prefer the leaf springs in the lose stuff. Also, I have a phobia against putting my Dormobile on its side. I worked real hard keeping the centre of gravity as low as possible in a Dormobile and I feel that leaf springs, having greater resistance to side sway does a better job of keeping the dynamic centre of gravity inside the wheelbase.

Mind you, these are my subjective beliefs. If I switched springs I'd do it again. BUT if all I was doing was pavement driving, light to medium off road trails, or harder trails on firmish surfaces under 25 degrees side slope, I might pick parabolics just because they are plug and play. No disassembly required.

Of the items on your linked page, I would go with the 0.0615" thick stuff.

You do not need to be forced into the stuff with tape on one side. The centre bolt and the clamps towards each end is enough to hold the strips mostly in place. The ends would dance around a little at the ends of the springs but not enough to inhibit function. So if there is a thicker strip with out adhesive on another page you might give that a go. BTW, the plastic between my leaves had no adhesive side. I didn't find out about the tape with a sticky side until later. And yes, except for slightly wondering ends all the strips have stayed in place.

westcoastkevin
04-27-2011, 10:04 AM
TeriAnn,
Thank you for replying. My leaves are blasted and I will be painting in the coming days. I will have a good surface so I thought the adhesive would be of benefit

I have a much lighter weight vehicle that you with a 1951 80". I might just but the tape on both the top and bottom surfaces of the springs. This way I would get some added thickness for total longevity and I also get a plastic on plastic sliding surface. I just need to do a quick look to see how uhmw fares in that arrangement.

I have never driven mine yet but I expect my center of gravity to be nice and low. I have no intentions to get parabolic springs at this time. I just want to lessen the myriad of unnecessary noises from it as I put it back together and get as comfortable ride as i can from such a short wheelbase.

Regards,
Kevin

alaskajosh
04-28-2011, 12:18 AM
You know, since the UHMW failed me I've just been keeping my springs oiled up. I spray them down from time to time, depending on driving conditions, with whatever sort of spray lube I have handy.. Tri-Flow is nice, if expensive.. and I've been absolutely tickled with the ride. I'm happy with that! Clean them up, keep them lubed/rust free, and they really work great!

yorker
04-29-2011, 07:45 AM
You know, since the UHMW failed me I've just been keeping my springs oiled up. I spray them down from time to time, depending on driving conditions, with whatever sort of spray lube I have handy.. Tri-Flow is nice, if expensive.. and I've been absolutely tickled with the ride. I'm happy with that! Clean them up, keep them lubed/rust free, and they really work great!

I wonder if this would work well too?
http://caseihtractorparts.com/product_details.asp?pn=547596R1