PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy clear series 109 title

riderktm
04-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Restoring old 109 that title is long gone. Looking to buy title of parted out 109 series any year landrover

Terrys
04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Most states no longer require a title on vehicles beyound a certain age. It's 15 years in CT, but it varies from state to state. I think MA is one of the few that still require one for a out-of-state vehicle. In most other states, as long as you have a bill of sale you can register it.

leafsprung
04-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Most states require it, only a few do not.

rickv100
04-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Some states have a procedure to get old titles or to get a new title issued as a reconstructed vehicle.

What state are you in.

Rick

Andrew IIA
04-29-2011, 09:19 AM
In NY anything prior to 1973 (i think) will not have a title. I registered my '63 with a bill of sale.

Triumphdaytona2007
04-30-2011, 09:18 AM
in florida you have to have a title for everything :( they are very strict about it, however my cousin in georgia got a title with only a bill of sale because of its age for his rover

riderktm
04-30-2011, 05:19 PM
I am in Iowa and they do have a procedue but it is tough.
1. Get a bonded title
2. Get it inspected and get a title like the guys do who build hotrods.
I would be willing to buy a title to get away from the hassle as Iowa is very strict.

LaneRover
04-30-2011, 06:09 PM
in florida you have to have a title for everything :( they are very strict about it, however my cousin in georgia got a title with only a bill of sale because of its age for his rover

What if you are bringing in a truck from Maine - where titles are not provided for pre-74 vehicles? Or weren't originally provided - don't know if I can get one now.

Terrys
04-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Most states require it, only a few do not.
What's 'Most' ? I quit reading when I got to 30 who don't issue or require them beyond x years (x varies)

leafsprung
05-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I haven't seen a list but Ive had older titles for rovers from

-PA,AR,AZ,KY,IL,TX,CA,OR,FL,WY,IN,WA,NV,NY,IA,LA,MD ,MT

I know VT, AL, GA are non title states,

Check out http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62843 for specific info on each states requirements.

mongoswede
05-01-2011, 01:59 PM
I have a clear title for a 68 109 that ill sell for $4500...it comes with a matching 68 109 ;)

solihull109
05-01-2011, 01:59 PM
What if you are bringing in a truck from Maine - where titles are not provided for pre-74 vehicles? Or weren't originally provided - don't know if I can get one now.

Ah...Maine is 15 years.. anything older than 15 years from current time does not need a title. I just trade a hammered D2 for a 1991 RRC GDE even steven...just need a bill of sale, that's it.

Are you really rebuilding your 109 or are you trying to bring something over on a Series v.i.n.?

JohnOFromJersey
05-01-2011, 04:53 PM
If you have a VIN, I had great success with these guys: http://www.its-titles.com/ . For about a hundred bucks, they got me some paperwork that I took to my DMV (in New Jersey) and walked out with a clear New Jersey title. (And NJ is not exactly a "lax" state when it comes to stuff like that).

It all seemed pretty suspect but after following their instructions, I found myself walking out of the NJ DMV with a smile on my face and a registered truck :-).

JO

LaneRover
05-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Ah...Maine is 15 years.. anything older than 15 years from current time does not need a title. I just trade a hammered D2 for a 1991 RRC GDE even steven...just need a bill of sale, that's it.

Are you really rebuilding your 109 or are you trying to bring something over on a Series v.i.n.?

I have a truck in Maine that I want to bring to Florida - just wondering if I need to leave it on Maine plates if Florida is 'picky'

solihull109
05-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I have a truck in Maine that I want to bring to Florida - just wondering if I need to leave it on Maine plates if Florida is 'picky'

I would. Do you have a residence in Maine? If so, I would just keep the Maine tags. The only down side I see is, if you plan on keeping in Florida,. you'll need to bring it up once a year for inspection...that is if Florida would have a problem with your truck in the first place.:)

LaneRover
05-01-2011, 09:01 PM
I would. Do you have a residence in Maine? If so, I would just keep the Maine tags. The only down side I see is, if you plan on keeping in Florida,. you'll need to bring it up once a year for inspection...that is if Florida would have a problem with your truck in the first place.:)

I had a Chevy Cavalier in California for 10 years on Maine plates - once you are outside of Maine no one cares about the Maine inspection! And not having an inspection does not stop you from registering or insuring it!

solihull109
05-02-2011, 09:01 AM
True, on not needing an inspection. Didn't want to just come out and tell you something that "could" get you in trouble. :thumb-up:

LaneRover
05-02-2011, 12:49 PM
True, on not needing an inspection. Didn't want to just come out and tell you something that "could" get you in trouble. :thumb-up:

I understand completely!!

Triumphdaytona2007
05-02-2011, 08:07 PM

im not sure i bought a 65 rover out of georgia and florida wouldnt give me a title, i argued that there state does not require titles and she said my only option would be to find the last registered owner and have them get a tag for it, then they would have to give me the registration along with a bill of sale, my rover was last registered in 1976 so there was no hope for mine, so at the moment i have 2 spare rovers without titles sitting in the yard :(

Apis Mellifera
05-02-2011, 08:29 PM
she said my only option would be to find the last registered owner and have them get a tag for it, then they would have to give me the registration along with a bill of sale, my rover was last registered in 1976 so there was no hope for mine, so at the moment i have 2 spare rovers without titles sitting in the yard :(

I'm in the same boat with two old British cars I'm putting together. The only roadblock is a registration card from Alabama. I asked this forum for help from anyone in Alabama. I guess it sounds like a scam because once I explained it, the one guy that responded bailed. Frankly, if I had a scan of an old GA or AL registration card, my problem could be sorted. Three cheers for oppressive, cumbersome, hoop-jumping bureaucracy that does nothing but keep honest men honest.

There's a business opportunity for a cooperative member in Alabama or Georgia to register these old machines... I know I have cash waiting and I don't even need a license plate - just the card.

solihull109
05-03-2011, 05:34 AM
im not sure i bought a 65 rover out of georgia and florida wouldnt give me a title, i argued that there state does not require titles and she said my only option would be to find the last registered owner and have them get a tag for it, then they would have to give me the registration along with a bill of sale, my rover was last registered in 1976 so there was no hope for mine, so at the moment i have 2 spare rovers without titles sitting in the yard :(

Slightly different situation. The other guy has a residence in Maine, so he's in the clear to keep Maine tags....just saying

Can't you file for a lost title?...or have them recreate a title?....something doesn't sound right there....seems there is some info missing..probably on the the part of the woman providing you the info...

LaneRover
05-03-2011, 07:41 AM
I'm in the same boat with two old British cars I'm putting together. The only roadblock is a registration card from Alabama. I asked this forum for help from anyone in Alabama. I guess it sounds like a scam because once I explained it, the one guy that responded bailed. Frankly, if I had a scan of an old GA or AL registration card, my problem could be sorted. Three cheers for oppressive, cumbersome, hoop-jumping bureaucracy that does nothing but keep honest men honest.

There's a business opportunity for a cooperative member in Alabama or Georgia to register these old machines... I know I have cash waiting and I don't even need a license plate - just the card.

When I went to the Amelia Island Concours D'elegance they were handing out Robb Reports, one of which had a scheme for registering your really expensive cars in an Alaskan Trust. But you had to open the trust before registering the car. Not sure if it was for lower registry fees or for hiding the asset of the car. But a similar thing could work for Rovers. But would it be worth it?

stomper
05-03-2011, 11:54 AM
My wife is an estate planning attorney, so I can speak with some authority on this issue. A trust is designed to protect the assets, and prevent them from being lost if there is a lawsuit against you, or should you rack up a significant nursing home bill, they cannot be considered an asset they can place a lien upon. They are also used to ensure they are distributed outside of probate court upon your death. There is obviously more to it than this, but this is the gist of it.

Unless you had a significant asset in classic cars, or your Rover was worth $100,000 or more, or you were preparing for a costly divorce or something, there is hardly any merit to doing this for most of us Rover owners.

A "good" protective trust is going to cost you around $2,000. Hardly worth it for a single vehicle which on average will only fetch $10,000 upon it's sale.

LaneRover
05-03-2011, 02:35 PM
My wife is an estate planning attorney, so I can speak with some authority on this issue. A trust is designed to protect the assets, and prevent them from being lost if there is a lawsuit against you, or should you rack up a significant nursing home bill, they cannot be considered an asset they can place a lien upon. They are also used to ensure they are distributed outside of probate court upon your death. There is obviously more to it than this, but this is the gist of it.

Unless you had a significant asset in classic cars, or your Rover was worth $100,000 or more, or you were preparing for a costly divorce or something, there is hardly any merit to doing this for most of us Rover owners.

A "good" protective trust is going to cost you around $2,000. Hardly worth it for a single vehicle which on average will only fetch $10,000 upon it's sale.

Unless of course you set up a trust to help others! Referral only of course to keep the riff-raff out and to prevent someone from using to to deal with stolen vehicles. Not sure if that could be done but it is interesting . . .

yorker
05-03-2011, 03:07 PM
In NY anything prior to 1973 (i think) will not have a title. I registered my '63 with a bill of sale.

Yeah NY is registration only on 73 and older- it is one thing that is actually nice about NYS DMV. :thumb-up:

Terrys
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
NH is the only New England state requiring a title for all cars.

mongoswede
05-03-2011, 04:17 PM

from the FAQ on the NH DMV website:

What vehicles are required to be titled?

Vehicles 15 years of age or newer.
Truck-tractors and trucks with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 18,001 pounds or greater, regardless of age.
Trailers 15 years of age or newer with a GVW of 3,001 pounds or greater.
Antique vehicles 26 years of age or older, upon request.
Sounds a lot like Vermont

SafeAirOne
05-03-2011, 04:33 PM

That's news to me...

Triumphdaytona2007
05-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Slightly different situation. The other guy has a residence in Maine, so he's in the clear to keep Maine tags....just saying

Can't you file for a lost title?...or have them recreate a title?....something doesn't sound right there....seems there is some info missing..probably on the the part of the woman providing you the info...

the lady at the dmv said a lost title (in florida) is only if youve lost the title to a vehicle you own then they could give you another title, the rovers came from other states so they said they cant pull up info on them, when i got the rovers i just got a bill of sale for each of them i figured with how old they are i wouldnt have any problem but the dmv lady wasnt much help, however i did find an old rover with a pennsylvania title and they took that, im not sure on floridas laws i only know what they told me i went to three dmvs and they all said the same (hilliard callahan and yulee/amelia island)

Terrys
05-04-2011, 06:30 AM
from the FAQ on the NH DMV website:

What vehicles are required to be titled?

Vehicles 15 years of age or newer.
Truck-tractors and trucks with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 18,001 pounds or greater, regardless of age.
Trailers 15 years of age or newer with a GVW of 3,001 pounds or greater.
Antique vehicles 26 years of age or older, upon request.
Sounds a lot like Vermont

I stand corrected, I remember reading the FAQ section about a year ago, where is did not have an exclusion. So it appears all NE states have exclusions language.
I guess NH changed 1/1/11.
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/tdmv107.pdf