PDA

View Full Version : New booster going in...

KelseyM
04-28-2011, 08:01 PM
So I ordered a new brake booster this morning and plan on installing it Saturday morning.. I have been looking through all the manuals I have and each one has a different method for bleeding the system. One is telling me I have to jack up the rear of the truck so the master is level and to bleed near to far, the other is telling me to go in an X pattern. The way I normally bleed brakes is farthest from the master and then work my way in...

So my question is what have you guys found to be the best way to bleed the system, and if the Master has for instance been sitting in the back of the series for about a week should I bleed it as if it were new or just put it in and bleed the system?

ukoffroad
04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Put mine in last Sat, have not had time to bleed it. Last time I did we worked form far to near, not sure what the Green Bible says.

Les Parker
04-29-2011, 10:17 AM
I would bench bleed the master as a security measure.
Working from the RHR (furthest away) working towards the LHF (closest), bleed the wheel cylinders in the usual way.
So far this has worked well for me.

Best of luck.

KelseyM
04-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks for your input guys, I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

I got my parts in today and noticed that the booster unit I received has a separate threaded hole in it with no bolt that I dont believe was on the old one. Does anyone know if I need to plug it or is it supposed to be left open?

martindktm
04-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Plugged. On mine I took the one from the old booster.

artpeck
04-30-2011, 09:06 AM
For what it is worth I have replaced the master and all four wheel cylinders (twice due to using cheap components the first time) and always just bled as described above with perfect results.

KelseyM
05-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Put the new booster in and bled the system, I can actually stop now with out having to put all my weight into the pedal!

Still need to pump the brake two or three times in order for it to hold so I am assuming there is still air in the lines and I already adjusted all the brakes. None the less still a dramatic improvement from before!

artpeck
05-01-2011, 07:55 PM
You either still have air or you have shoes that need to be adjusted as the cylinders are over extending and admitting air. You should have a firm pedal.

KelseyM
05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
I think I have air in the lines, I adjusted all the brake shoes after I bled the system to make sure that wasn't the case... I brought it to a mechanic to see how much it would be for him to just use the machine and power bleed the system but he wouldn't do it because of liability reasons.