PDA

View Full Version : How much did you pay to galv-dip your chassis?

westcoastkevin
04-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Hello,
I am in the middle of some repairs to my chassis. I have been weighing the pros and cons of Galv VS Paint for a while. I am leaning toward Galv.

The closest Galvanizing place to me will be at least $120 in fuel for the two round trips in addition to the cost of the work itself.

I need a reference for how much to expect to pay. I understand that prices might vary around the country. My chassis is from a short 80"

How much did you pay to galv-dip your chassis?

Bonus question: Did you galv-dip your bulkhead? How much did that cost?

Regards,
Kevin

albersj51
04-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Here in upstate SC, the local dipper charges (IIRC) $350 minimum, which covers around 500-600lbs. Its $0.65/lbs after that.

I will be doing the galvy run soon and having my chassis, bulkhead, rad panel, sills, body cappings, windshield frame, etc all done/re-done.

I highly recommend that you go galvy. If you do the chassis, then do all of the steel bits (including the bulkhead), wont cost you any more. Let others on here/locally know and you may be able to split the cost with others.

Besides, paint, supplies, equipment wont cost much less and gives you nowhere near the protection of galv, especially inside the chassis since these rust from the inside out.

westcoastkevin
04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Albersj51,
Thanks for the reply. I am very interested to know how the place in Grenville is. The only other place within driving distance to me is near Burlington, NC.

I probably will not remove the cappings on my '51..... well, who knows.
I already had my chassis chemically stripped to remove the paint and rust prior to the fabrication work. I do have pretty good steel to work with at this point.

Let me know the final price when you get done. I am at least a month away from being ready for mine.

Kevin

albersj51
04-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Kevin,

Where are you located? Based on your name I assumed cali, oregon or washington, but burlington, nc thew me off.

I'm probably 3-4 weeKs out myself, so if you're first let me know how it goes.

siiirhd88
04-29-2011, 04:09 PM
A few years ago I paid about $430.00 for galvanizing a 109 chassis and 40 or so other bits including the rad panel and capings. I didn't do the bulkhead.

Bob

stonefox
04-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Kevin,
I galvied my truck this winter.Chassis ,bulkhead ,and bits $639 in central NY.I dont think you can beat galvy for protection,but I have to say My near perfect bulkhead took some abuse. Both in warpage and galvy yard damage.I'm learning to deal with it but it will never be the same,but it wont rust. Good luck.If you want a few tips pm me.

albersj51
04-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Where did it warp and how badly? Any tips on how to avoid this? I bought a nice bulkhead from Ike, so I would cry like a baby if it were damaged...I expect some minor warping in the tunnel, but thats it.

stonefox
04-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Most of the thinner sheetmetal area were tweaked a little.Look at the are below the drip edge.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_-UbMgHRZnZg/TZS_GlRqLsI/AAAAAAAAF8w/nWzKVLE3ByM/s640/DSC02863.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_-UbMgHRZnZg/TZTCtJnRrrI/AAAAAAAAF_M/BLe0BzlWrZM/s640/DSC02906.JPG

The galvy also left a texture that can be seen below the new paint.I sanded some of it out but I didnt want to sand off all the galvy either.

stonefox
04-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Galvy Yard damage!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_-UbMgHRZnZg/TZTDaPF2zdI/AAAAAAAAF_o/6mBQDe0Efb0/s512/DSC02913.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_-UbMgHRZnZg/TZTDTpyYNOI/AAAAAAAAF_k/3HT7nNpVGD4/s512/DSC02912.JPG

Oh well just another ding in the 50 yr. old vehicle :D

albersj51
04-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Thats not too bad...I didnt expect to see it in the upper bulkhead though. The dent sucks, but gives it character!

Did the warping cause any fitment issues? Do you know if they quenched it after dipping or let it air dry?

Sorry for the Hijack!! This has been on my mind as I get closer to dipping.

stonefox
04-29-2011, 07:52 PM
As far as fitment,I haven't installed the doors or wings so we will see.The door posts were a little tight when installing bulkhead.

westcoastkevin
04-30-2011, 09:05 AM
I am in NC out on the coast. I moved here from out west though, hence the name.

I have major repair/reconstruction to do on my bulkhead. I am not sure if I want to galv that. I do not want the thinner sections of original steel to warp. I am using a thicker gauge of steel to make repair sections because it will be a bit easier to weld. I plan to make sure it can drain well. It is easy to see why they rusted out. I probably will not make the decision until it is all finished and I see how it looks.

It sounds like I will need at least $500 in folding money either way for a galv budget.

Thanks for the info,
Kevin

JDLalama
10-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Where did it warp and how badly? Any tips on how to avoid this? I bought a nice bulkhead from Ike, so I would cry like a baby if it were damaged...I expect some minor warping in the tunnel, but thats it.

In looking up different subjects that have crossed my mind on things to consider for my Land Rover I am passing this on concerning your question, click here (http://www.younggalvanizing.com/prep-tips.htm).

Ncrover725
10-27-2011, 05:53 PM
It's good to see other Rovers in Carolina. I am in Fayetteville and have been the only series I have seen on the road. Nice to meet you all!