PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold.....genuine used or new

knac1234
05-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Hello all,

So I thought I heard something last week in the exhaust, although my S3 still runs nice. Had the bonnet off this weekend, and noticed a crack in the exhaust manifold near #4.....that explains the noise!

Unfortunately, in my massive parts stash I have an intake, not an exhaust, manifold.

I see RN has them new, but they are aftermarket. Any reason to search for a good used original one (other than maybe it will be less money), or is the aftermarket one just as good (or perhaps better/less prone to cracking)??

Cheers,
Julian

PS If anyone has a good used one cheap, let me know!

albersj51
05-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Mine cracked in the same spot. I went With the one from RN and it fit well

rejeep
05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
mine was cracked 360 deg right by #4 as well..
i went with a OEM part I got as a hand me down...
regardless, I always try and go with OEM castings when available..
but I have seen the fit and finish of aftermarket and its spot on.

gudjeon
05-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I have a blue label one and it has been fine for 5years of running now.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/gudjeon/RoverPics05002.jpg

Terrys
05-02-2011, 05:59 AM
I recently put a proline one on and the inside spacing between the two outer ports was too tight for the intake manifold to fit between, by about 3/16"

knac1234
05-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the insight! Terry, the first pic was very helpful also as there is a kit offered with all new studs, bolts, gaskets, etc..., and it helped to verify the kit's contents.

Looks like Saturday will be exhaust manifold day!

Julian

albersj51
05-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Start spraying everything down with PB Blaster now...you'll be thankful you did! I sprayed mine daily for 2 weeks and it made it a lot easier to remove.

jac04
05-02-2011, 09:42 AM
I recently put a proline one on and the inside spacing between the two outer ports was too tight for the intake manifold to fit between, by about 3/16"
I used a Genuine exhaust manifold and found a slight interference as well. My interference was very slight - like 1/32".

knac1234
05-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Installed the manifold Saturday. First time using PB Blaster (a couple days prior).....every bolt/stud came out like butter! Reinstalled new ones from a fixing kit with anti-seize.

Also installed the swivel hubs seals and the hood buffers that "fall out often on washboard roads"....exactly the road to work each day!

Got to love the simplicity of these trucks......even when I don't know what I'm doing!!!

Next?? :D

Julian