PDA

View Full Version : roof insulation

rejeep
05-01-2011, 05:25 PM
i am prepping my top for a new headliner and some insulation..
I tore down the old junk and wanted to know if anybody has any tips on removing the leftover fur and glue left on the metal..

I was planning on using dynamat on the sheet metal and then some insulation under the headliner...

KelseyM
05-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I redid the headliner in my RRC a few years ago, I believe I used goo off or bes-tine to get the excess junk off

Cutter
05-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Bestine probably will do it, it eats up everything, but be careful with that stuff, its really, really not good for you. We got a lot of warnings back in "Ahht" school.

siii8873
05-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Acetone does OK with a few applications.

masonater
05-02-2011, 03:43 PM
PB Blaster makes a good sticker/decal remover in a spray can, works on all sorts of goo. I like all of their products.

redmondrover
05-02-2011, 04:06 PM
The horsehair mats in our 109 headliner were held in place with something that looked like tar that had been applied in thick, sloppy brush strokes. About half of it chipped off with a putty knife. A wire wheel on a drill removed all but the thickest areas. For those, I used one of those oscillating multi-tools with a flat blade. It worked great but you have to be careful not to gouge the alumunim. Wear eye protection--that stuff flies everywhere.

I replaced our headliner with 1/4 inch closed cell foam covered with marine hull liner. All of it held down with the same adhesive used on laminate countertops.

siii8873
05-02-2011, 04:18 PM
I did something similar. I removed the old tar type stuff with acetone, worked good. I then glued on 3/8" closed cell foam with contact cement. Over that I glued on headliner material with a spray adhesive. Holding up well so far. I tried a regular headliner with the hoops, not my bag of tea. I have a set of headliner hoops if anyone needs some.

rejeep
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
interested in your hoops...

I took a puddy knife today and scrapped all but 5% of it off in quick strokes..
looked about 100 times harder than it really was..

I think im going with the traditional setup..