PDA

View Full Version : S3 Handbrake

sven
04-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi, I have a 73 S3 with a broken handbrake. The lever moves back and forth but doesn't ratchet. Any ideas of what it maybe?

LaneRover
04-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Could it be that the mechanism that releases the brake is rusted/gunged up in the 'release' position?

Have you looked underneath or taken off the under the middle seat access panel to look and see if all the partas are there?

LaneRover

sven
04-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Could it be that the mechanism that releases the brake is rusted/gunged up in the 'release' position?

Have you looked underneath or taken off the under the middle seat access panel to look and see if all the partas are there?

LaneRover

Good idea about the middle seat access panel. I just bought this thing about a week ago so Im still learning my way around. I'll check it out 2 nite.

KevinNY
04-09-2007, 07:53 PM
crawl underneath and see if the spring on the passenger side of the transfer case is still there, it is the tensioner for handbrake.

singingcamel
04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
more than likely the button on the top of the handle is froze, not allowing the teeth to mesh with the bracket,use some p b blaster to loosen it up.the spring and button should should work freely
its full of crud or rusted,good luck..
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

LH Drive
04-09-2007, 09:46 PM
There is a bolt that sandwiches the handle closer to the base by the cross bar (LHD) This was loose on mine and I had the same problem. I tighted it and it ratchets again. The return spring behind the brake backing plate was also missing.

sven
04-11-2007, 07:23 AM
There is a bolt that sandwiches the handle closer to the base by the cross bar (LHD) This was loose on mine and I had the same problem. I tighted it and it ratchets again.

Thats what it was, thanks!